Agnostic.com

12 18

LINK My Semester With the Snowflakes

I found this an exceptionally worthwhile read.

:-----:

"In my opinion, the real snowflakes are the people who are afraid of that situation. The poor souls who never take the opportunity to discuss ideas in a group of people who will very likely respectfully disagree with them. I challenge any of you hyper-opinionated zealots out there to actually sit down with a group of people who disagree with you and be open to having your mind changed. I’m not talking about submitting your deeply held beliefs to your twitter/facebook/instagram feeds for agreement from those who “follow” you. That unreal “safe space” where the accountability for one’s words is essentially null. I have sure had my mind changed here at Yale. To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect."

WilliamCharles 8 Jan 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well said and very appropriate to this site.

Anyone who doesnt agree with me is of course a hyper-opinionated zealot.

Name calling and pointing fingers is the standard for the weak.

I think his challenge was more of a "if the shoe fits" type of thing. He at least pointed out which way his own preconceptions initially leaned.

Alright William I"m back. I read the article. I can appreciate his journey. I come from a a lower class working family. I was the first in my family to attend and graduate college. But that is not the "stranger in a strange land" part of my journey.

I have been a high school science teacher for 31 years. 21 years in and among Native American students and schools. I lived a good portion of that on isolated indian reservations, where I was the minority. I served at the pleasure of the tribe (and still do) and the federal government. I learned how to walk in two worlds, just like my students were expected to do.

A decade of my teaching careers was spent in Hispanic communities teaching science. Another period of a "stranger in a strange land" as a minority. I served at their pleasure and discretion.

I never accepted mediocrity in myself, or in my students. I have been known as a "nerd" and an intellectual by my peers, my family, and even by my collegiate peers when I was enmeshed in degree program. Statistically, I should never have attended college in the first place, let alone attaining a PhD and four other degrees. I appreciate the authors journey and contrary to my original response, concur with his and your sentiments.

Thanks for sharing your remarkable background. Glad you saw some of the things I did in the piece.

People should look up Anthony Magnabosc to learn how to listen and be objective.

Thx for the rec, Jolanta.

Willful ignorance is the dishonor of honest ignorance. To me, honest ignorance is the ability to learn....
I agree with your statement.

I totally agree with the line about dishonor in willful ignorance and deliberate disrespect for others. I am very intolerant towards those that practice either of those traits. I won't hassle them, but I sure don't want to be around them. Now that I am retired, I don't need to be.

It's something I go through every day when I pop on FB. I have a mix of friends across the spectrum, some are left, some right, some believers, some are not.
And every day a good deal of them post their either, Trump this,or that. Or Libs this and that.
Every time I try to get any of them to try and have a conversation showing other thought, or another way of looking at things. I am met with being called a Nazi, from one side, and a Snowflake, from the other.
Tired of that shit.
Most of every thing I have ever learned, I learned by listening, or reading other ideas. That seems to be a lost art any more.
Still. I will keep trying.

An as for 'willful ignorance', I can't thing of something that irks me more.

My pal Bernie the Attorney told me that a near universal human trait is that people shut down when new or conflicting information threatens to take them out of their bubble. It's why as a trial attorney, he had to get them to come to a particular conclusion on their own in a laborious, spoon-fed, step by step process. Anything too much outside of their comfort zone, and it's back to square one,

@WiWilliamCharlecritical Hence reflection, introspection & critical thinking.

Yep, heard the interview on NPR before he started and at the end of the semester. He seemed genuinely open minded from the start, so I think he knew the exchanges he would have over the semester would impact him and his classmates in a positive way. In thinking about it, this is truly an extremes situation because it's Yale and he was a SEAL, so not exactly an everyday encounter, but still eye opener for readers. I hope many people read about his experience and challenge their own views.

The differences with regard to life experiences and worldviews were certainly substantial. I think preconceived notions in many areas are par for the course for most people, but what is essential for learning is to compare them with the reality once presented. He seemed to approach that in a stellar fashion. Certainly, not all could.

I think the author shows genuine humility and open-mindedness, not a very common thing among people in the military and law enforcement, which is one reason I stay away from those types and don't seem to relate very well to them, another reason is my own issues with authority, mainly a strong distrust and skepicism of it. The author's politics are probably very different than mine, but if I met him personally, I think we would probably get along and have mutual respect.

It should always be remembered that Yale or any elite school may have a majority of students and faculty that are liberal or PC on social issues, but, make no mistake, these schools for the most part of populated by members of the economic elite and thus, they are not all or even most that liberal or lefty on economic issues. The Ivy league schools and most of their students are mostly just fine with economic inequality, capitalism, and globalization of the economy. They are SJWs, but not that interested in helping the poor here or abroad, nor do they care much about economic inequality here or abroad. I hope I am wrong, but most people stay loyal to their class when they grow up very privileged, like most of the students and faculty of these schools.

I tend to agree with your assessment. They didn't become the powerhouse they are by looking to upend the status quo in any substantial way that might reorder the prevailing stratification.

I find this pertains to your observations.

[chomsky.info]

"Still, in the universities or in any other institution, you can often find some dissidents hanging around in the woodwork—and they can survive in one fashion or another, particularly if they get community support. But if they become too disruptive or too obstreperous—or you know, too effective—they’re likely to be kicked out. The standard thing, though, is that they won’t make it within the institutions in the first place, particularly if they were that way when they were young—they’ll simply be weeded out somewhere along the line. So in most cases, the people who make it through the institutions and are able to remain in them have already internalized the right kinds of beliefs: it’s not a problem for them to be obedient, they already are obedient, that’s how they got there. And that’s pretty much how the ideological control system perpetuates itself in the schools—that’s the basic story of how it operates, I think."

Your post pre-supposes that persons disagreeing with are automatically wrong as your opinion is the right one. That by engaging with you, you will necessarily by the rightness of your bias, show them the error of their ways and will come to your way of thinking. Their is a certain arrogance and presumption in your challenge and approach. Words matter and the way you state them matter.

It is a problem you and I have encountered before. The way that you address items automatically introduces a bias ( specifically a bias in your favor).

I don't think I did anything of the sort. In fact, my purpose and my own approach is to subject my ideas to the most rigorous examination. I find that serves to sharpen my understandings, as well as often being the catalyst to reevaluating my views. To put things out there while indicating one's own outlook at the same time in no way invalidates the assertions, as rebuttals are both expected and welcomed.

I also find it useful to try to argue from the other person's perspective, and doing so by actually learning their position, and not just an inaccurate characterization of it.

The passage posted is the author's, not mine, btw.

@WilliamCharles

Let me re-read and assess a 2nd time. I was reacting to the nature of the stated challenge and not the article. I returned to graduate school at age 54, and got my PhD at age 60. I can relate to his experience. Will get back to you.

I have belonged to several organizations and have had many discussions. It should not just be about having one's mind changed but helping others to see things in a new light. I will and have admitted when I am wrong or missed some valid points but I seem to be an anomaly. My first group, ZPG, entailed long term board membership and we were all on the same page. In 2000 a new director came on board and his goal was money. He and the Sierra Club took a $100 million 'gift' but had to remove immigration from the equation. Most members were burnt out but a couple were new and agreed to this. I and a another did not agree but could not get the others to see reason so we left. I was then on the steering committee of our local Transitions Towns. Three years and the same old closed minded philosophy and no amount of discussion from myself nor my late partner got them to even budge a millimeter. This is an island and many people see the world from an island viewpoint.
Yes, the posting is important and more need to open up and get out of the proverbial box. Most will not and those that do are often left facing a brick wall. It is not a simple idea.

Those are some great observations. I was familiar with ZPG and NPG back in the day. I was troubled with the elements of anti-immigration that seemed to attract a particularly fervent right wing crowd, but also knew that aspect of the organization's goals still deserved to be discussed fully from all perspectives.

It is also a sad reality how funding largely determines who sets the agenda, and just how often the core mission is compromised because of that. Tell me what their ommitted issues are, and I'll show you their true agenda.

@WilliamCharles My late partner (an immigrant) had a question for her 2nd graders: What is more important, people or dirt? Thing is we cannot be more important that that which sustains us. There is a difference between immigrants and immigration. I just read a piece on this and it said we need to approach this issue from a different perspective than do the vitriolic conservatives. It is really the defining issue of the day and is causing nations to turn sharp right. When a nation implodes, due to an increasing carbon footprint, from any source, everyone loses, citizens and immigrants alike. Too many look at this issue from an economic view and I have yet to hear how it helps the environment. It does not and a truly sustainable policy needs to be created which will, unfortunately keep a lot of people out. BTW, NPG still is around and I am a member. [npg.org]
Thanks for the posting.

@JackPedigo

Though often these same conservatives will dismiss concerns about sustainability and growth by citing some factoid like the entire population of the planet could fit in the state of Texas with ample elbow room, ignoring the resources and substantial infrastructure needed for this to be in any way viable.

They'll also regularly ignore (both sides really) the impact that wars have on the population desperate to flee the carnage.

Often the pretext for demonizing the undocumented is in order to be able to continue to exploit them. Businesses that hire are rarely sanctioned in any meaningful way. Additionally, the current drive has many crops now rotting in the field.

The misery caused by Trump's detention camps ignores the fact that seeking political asylum is a legal avenue for entry. Many have been killed/died being repatriated to their homelands (or sent to a country they never lived in), and even those offered citizendhip for military service have been shamefully betrayed.

I fully welcome discussions/debates on growth and sustainability, but quite often there is misdirection serving only to provide cover for rapacious corporate entities denuding the planet for profit at the expense of all else.

@JackPedigo

I think it's also as much, how we live, as it is how many are alive. The wealth and prosperity if this country was largely through the exploitation of others through various means (often murderous and criminal), while we decry the growth rate of others seeking a comparable affluence. The ratio of the global resources we consume versus our population is quite skewed.

:-----:

“We are told ‘no’, we’re unimportant, we’re peripheral. ‘Get a degree, get a job, get this, get that.’ And then you’re a player, but you don’t want to play in the game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.” – Terence McKenna

@WilliamCharles Unfortunately, it's not just the conservatives that seek to exploit immigrants. Almost every 'liberal' I have talked to say how we need to help others AND they do work Americans won't (this is common among all industrialized nations. With the Germans it was about the Turkish immigrants). I ask them how can we both help and exploit at the same time. They get really uncomfortable (and maybe I've planted a seed).
As you may well know the population issue is not just about numbers but how much of our resource base is needed to sustain us. When the Carbon footprint test first came online it was measured in acres (at the time it was 34 acres per capita). Now it is in how many Earths are needed. I find this a nebulous concept and feel we need to go back to actual land space.
Maybe we need to build a wall around Texas and let all the conservatives move there and see how it works for them. lol

@JackPedigo

Quite true. Offshoring certainly is bipartisan. Cheap goods are great, until producing them renders the population intended to serves as condumers are without income.

"To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect." One of the tenets of Free Thinkers is the acceptance that we could be wrong. It's good to have a well thought out opinion but you still have to accept you might not have the only answer. Free Thinkers, more convenient and a whole lot cheaper than Yale.

I want to see if I can learn more about his views with regard to how Yale presents the world of geopolitics and economics. Particularly as a veteran, he might have some input as to the role of military personnel (and the people of the nations his actions impacted) as pawns on a grand chessboard. Economically, how spending to build rather than destroy might have a greater ROI in both the long and short run.

There was a time when we actually saw winning hearts and minds as not just a key element, but the key element.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:445175
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.