Agnostic.com

10 1

How prevalent is pseudo-medicine?

Earlier this morning I heard a radio talk show where a woman was seriously recommending people drink turpentine to get rid of parasites (which she claimed everyone alive has, yet are undetectable to a doctor...), later I saw an article promoting coffee enemas for similar reasons. I knew there was junk science about medicine out there, but I always thought it was something only a minority really believed, and discussed primarily on out of the way forums. It kind of worries me that this might be spreading...

How often do you see/hear promotions of junk medicine?

Katrik 7 Mar 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There are plenty of gullible people who will try all sorts of woo-woo with no science behind it. There are facebook groups full of them. What really gets me angry is when they subject their kids to it. If you want to give yourself a bleach enema, go for it, but don't think it's going to cure your kid's autism and put them through that.

Wow..you actually trust Western toxic-synthetic-patent money drug culture doctors? When they get kick backs for writing presciptions for dangerous medicines?
Johns Hopkins study suggests medical errors are third-leading cause of death in U.S. [bit.ly] via @HubJHU

There is some bad advice online, as always, but you can always google around for other stories. Don't forget..while western doctors continue to kill 50% of patients treated for cancer with chemo and radiation, people have been curing cancer since the 1970s with "illegal" natural substances like cannabis oil.

They only made cannabis illegal once Rockefeller acuired both the medical schools and pharmacies, and outlawed natural healing to promote his dangerous drugs.

All the time. One reason you do not see Kevin Truedau on infomercials right now is because he is in prison. He was warned by the government that what he was selling is BS and they told him to quit. He didn't so he is doing time.
Anti-vaxxers are another group who is full of it. I have seen diseases wiped out in my lifetime by vaccination. I have seen this without side effects.

Did you ever watch Dr. Oz? That quack should be shot. There's so much bullshit that websites dedicated to debunking the nonsense can't keep up.

JimG Level 8 Mar 27, 2018

Too prevalent. Here's the start of a four part series I found intreging.

Wow. This is flat out crazy.

@Blindbird tip of the iceberg, unfortunately. Pseudo science is Jeff's target of choice. And this is as much shilling as I am will to do for anybody.

Unfortunately, modalities that are little more than junk exist. Others also exist that have greater efficacy in some circumstances than chemical suppression of symptoms that so dominates 'medicine' as we know it and as overseen by government and insurance entities.

One should first gain a good understanding of human physiology and psychology and how they relate to each other as a whole. With that, the individual should explore foundations of what traditional medical interests universally label 'junk medicine' for themselves.

Lives and fortunes rest on a dependable medical orthodoxy that protects adherents from unwelcome remedies for both human suffering and their practitioners' own livelihoods.

Are you on Facebook? There is a crap ton of it out there. I've managed to block the worst of it. I'm into natural healing. I will try natural before drugs and I've done well so far. I research first though and I do have some common sense. Drinking turpentine, I don't think so. I use lavender oil to help me sleep, and oil of cloves did take away the pain from a tooth until I could get to the dentist for a root canal. I did go the dentist and I do take presecription meds for HTN. However, I know many ailments can be managed without prescriptions and prescription antianxiety drugs made me more forgetful and likely to take more risks. And NO! on the coffee enema, I can just see all sorts of problems with that. Lots of this comes from the antivaxer crazies, and hollywood pretty people with way too much time on their hands and way too much money.

backpain remedies?

@hankster depends on why the pain, but my first step would be a soak in a warm to hot bath with Epsom salts added.

I'm gonna need a bigger bucket. muscle strain. refrigerator wrestling. thanks @HippieChick58.

Coffee for enemas? Might as well run the asshole by the car wash.

every sunday morning the tv is full of it. snake oil sales are up i think.

Does Chiopractic count?

There are benefits to chiropractic and it is fairly legit for certain conditions.

@AmiSue My interest in it would be to get my neck or back popped back into place and get rid of pain in that area. Pain pills don't do crap.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44553
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.