Agnostic.com

17 4

What is the deal with the Church of Latter Day Saints?

For my job I occasionally have to go inside churches to read a water meter. I went to one Church of Latter Day Saints and they all were wearing white, like cult white. I just went to another church and there is no white anywhere. Does anyone know anything about the Church and the whole white clothing thing?

TimothyDeHoff 5 Mar 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Generally, white clothing is worn for baptismal ceremonies, which only take place about once a month to once in every three months. mormons dont' baptize kids until they reach the age of 8, because they say at that age a child can be held accountable for their actions (or sins).

personally I think the age of 8 is also a gret time to begin indoctrination. Having been raised in th Mormon (Latter Day Saints) church, there are many thigns to do to indoctrinate the children of its members.

Anyway, the white clothign was mos tlikely at a time when a baptismal ceremoney ws boign to soon takie place.

Magic underwear and magic clothes that keep them demon's out !!!

There are three major 19th century American sects—some refer to them as cults—founded by charismatic leaders, whose numbers today are tens of millions: the Mormons, the Seventh-day Adventists and the Jehovah’s Witnesses. Christian Scientists may have, at one time, been considered a fourth major sect, but their numbers are dwindling to less than 500,000, whereas the other three continue to add new converts, mostly outside of North America (SDA’s = 20 million; LDS = 16 million; JWs = 8 million). Each of these faiths has beliefs and practices that are considered by ‘mainstream' Christians to be non-Biblical, if not offensive and heretical. As for me, having been raised in the Adventist faith, moving on to the Presbyterian religion before finally, and thankfully, leaving all religious faith behind, the inter-faith squabling over 'whose truth' is superior is hardly worth fighting for, and better ignored!

There are two varieties.Ya got your kids and ya got your pedafiles.

White is the universal symbol of purity. This is why the traditional wedding dress is white. It's why pics of angels are white, etc. Pics of a god in heaven are white.

It makes me think of that actor, Jack Black??, in Shallow Hal. Remember when he would hold up his hands on either side of his face, mimicking blinders, and wiggle his eyes back and forth and say " Cookuu, Cookuu (or however you spell it)".

The only useful things I know about them is that they started collecting genealogical records because there was too much marriage between close family members, so they have a huge collection of records. Some are freely accessible here [familysearch.org] and others can be ordered and will be delivered to an LDS location of your choosing so that you can view the records. Yep, that's the only useful thing I know about their deal. Everything else I've learned about them is hogwash to me.

Baptisms for the dead maybe. They baptize folks for the dead en masse and when one is baptized they are required to wear white.

since mitt romneys run their numbers have dropped

They are basically harmless.

This wasn't so in the late 70's. For a while they had some sects killing each other. They were called renegades. You'll have to Google it.

I am not sure what the deal is with the Church of Latter Day Saints but I can tell you that when I was 13 years old I managed to talk two of their "elders" into buying me a fishing rod. Thereafter, it was fishing and I never saw them again.

Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll stop asking for fucking fish!

I know that they wear special white underwear often sarcastically described as 'magic underwear'. Like most cults, they aren't entirely destructive, but the destructivenes still weighs heavily on the bottom line. They are mentally locked iinto a set of inviolable doctrines that disable the ability to reason beyond doctrinal bounds, just like all other religions/cults.

I once tried to get a straight answer from their website mormon.com and directly by visiting one of their 'temples' in Utah to consult with elder/leaders. The question has been asked by others. NONE of the Mormon heirarchy can expain and they furthermore see no reason to question it.

Question? Josph Smith, their founding 'prophet' was not an Englishman. The Angel Moroni who allegedly visited Smith with a divine set of messages, though ascribed a former human existence, wasn't a Brit either. The other party to Smith's revelations was allegedly God..
As far as anyone can tell, and reasoning since this god allegedly predated England, 'he' also wasn't an Englishman.

Further: All of Joseph Smith's everyday writings and journaling were in contemporary English of his home and era; early 19th. Century America.

How is it that the 'Book of Mormon' and all other written 'revelations' from Smith were rendered in archaic redundant (non-poetic iin the least) Elizabethan style English? Why would that be? The targeted population didn't use it and could hardly even understand it. Wouldn't the god want to reach the people as clearly as possible with 'his' messages??

Try it yourself. I won't waste space wiht their non-nswers and faith dodges. Ask any Latter Day saints that question and see how for it gets into their ossified crainia. It is a real lesson in an intellectual form of Stockholm Syndrome and fear-based theology..

If there was a baptism going on, they dress in white.

If you are talking about white shirts, most churches require the men to wear white shirts to pass the sacrament.

If you are talking about every single person wearing white from head to toe, then you were not at a church. You were at a temple and that is how you dress in the temple.

Myah Level 6 Mar 27, 2018

Bingo. And if everything was quiet and all doors were closed, it was a temple. Dead giveaway was if everyone was barefoot.

That is not a Roman Catholic thing surprisingly - at least not in the last 53 years?

They're Morons, oops I mean Mormons - nuff said. It's the cult/group that makes it up as they go along.

Maybe the white has something to do with purity. I think white is symbolically supposed to mean purity. Also I think they are the ones that consider the sabbath to be saturday and not sunday.

There is a lot of stuff out there. I know a few who escaped the church and could fill many pages. This is a quick core of their foundation.

I'm not sure there's an agreed reason for white but I think it's just to denote purity of thought, spirit etc. Needless to say I think it denotes purity of absolute bollocks but then that's me 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44559
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.