Agnostic.com

21 6

Keeping Up With Faster People

“All I saw of your dad was his retreating fins,” Mom joked about scuba diving in the Caribbean.

She switched to Don, Dad’s best friend, as diving partners. An underwater photographer, Don poked around looking at things underwater like my artist mother.

“Don’t you know how to stroll?” a new man asked. I had taken him for a walk along the Columbia River where I usually run. “I want to keep up my heart rate for an aerobic workout,” I replied. “Step it up.”

At restaurants, my daughter and her dad were out the door while I was buttoning my coat and putting on gloves.

Fast hikers, Gro and Susan take off like a shot. Karen and I stop to take photos. We meet the speed demons for lunch at the top.

To prevent falls, I’m slower and more careful on steep descents. At 71, Karen is incredibly fast going downhill. “I visualize snowboarding downhill,” she said.

To keep up, I wind up jogging downhill in smooth areas with my heavy pack bouncing on my back. This gives me painful shin splints.

With the Mountaineers, the slowest person sets the pace. Not so with my women hiking partners.

How do you manage different paces with adults?

Photos- Don and Dad getting ready to scuba dive. Don had an underwater camera and light. In the other photos, Dad has his back to the camera. 1972 and 1973.

With musicians from Dad's jazz band and their wives, my parents flew to the Carribean and Virgin Islands, bringing their regulators to control their air. They rented scuba tanks. At the islands, they rented a large sailboat. They sailed from island-to-island, scuba diving for lobster for lunch, and playing music with bands in bars in the evening.

No kids allowed, although we begged to go along.

Dad was the best sailor. In the group, Mom was the only woman who learned scuba diving. They came home with musical steel drums, Conch shells, bad sunburns and hair-raising stories.

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have trouble keeping up with the Kardashians

Walking (for example) is something different people get different things out of. You can do it for some combination of exercise, meditation, or enjoyment of nature. Like you, my wife wants to walk at a fast pace. I have enough joint pain that I can't keep up with her anymore, so sadly we seldom walk together. She's really never known how to just stroll and have a pleasant conversation. On the other hand, I average 10,000 steps per day in decent weather, it just takes me the better part of an hour to do it. As proven by our FitBits, I get about twice the exercise she does when comparing the walking that we actually do. Slow and steady wins the race; slower isn't always what it seems to faster folks.

If your goal is an aerobic workout, you don't have to impose that on others. They're not doing it wrong or something. Walk longer, or supplement it with your own separate walk or jog later. Enjoy other people for who they are. Don't let it frustrate you that they have different goals.

I used to walk really fast until my husband said 'What's the hurry', so I stopped. These days I try to speed it up, doesn't alway work. There are so many interesting things to look at sometimes.

I generally am happy to stride along at a middle speed, but I stop a lot to look at things. However I sometimes go out with a gang of botanists, and they can take an hour to cover a hundred yards. Even I can find that a bit slow.

I'm okay with lagging behind the pack.
Especially on uneven terrain. I don't see worth a damn and
trip over roots, rocks, ruts, and all sorts of stuff.
Even on level ground, I'm always finding obstacles.

However, when I'm pushing a grocery cart, I'll run your ass over and not
bat an eye. I'm usually on a mission to get what I need and get the hell out.
My nephew's wife thinks it's hilarious, and calls me a "menace".
The kids think it's fun to shop with me.

😉

The Publix Marauder.....Piggly Wiggly Pushcart Champion.... I will ride an electric cart right behind you..... kids love the sensation of acceleration

Being taller than many folks, as well as using walking as my primary aerobic activity, I have a history of being a very fast walker. I learned quickly to pace myself with whomever accompanied me, but it has proven an advantage in being able to zoom out of group walks when I tire of conversation!

I learned this principle years ago when I first started riding motorcycles and was gaining my confidence - especially when riding with others ...

Go at your own pace, the one you feel comfortable with. If some need to go faster, let them pass, and they can wait till you catch up (or not). If some are slower than you, let them drop back - then you wait.

But hold true to what feels best for YOU at any particular time !

@evergreen

"Keep up!" Karen urges me on steep descents. So I wind up jogging downhill to stay with her and catch up.

Karen taught snowboarding at Mission Ridge Ski Area. At 71, she still loves snowboarding.

"I visualize snowboarding while descending," Karen says. Zoom!

I hate to make her wait at the car. When we carpool to the trail head, the pressure to keep up is greater.

@LiterateHiker Hmmm, have you considered that by always striving to keep up with Karen, she may not be aware of your discomfort? If you believe she is aware, how do you think it would go to open a conversation on being a bit more considerate?

@tinkercreek

Since 2014, I have discussed this with Karen frequently.

My choice is to quit hiking with the group or keep up.

We set our own pace. I don't concern myself with others, except Linda. We've been hiking, climbing, strolling, swimming together long enough where we match each others comfortable pace automatically.

When Karen and I are hiking, I usually end up way ahead of her. I don't walk that fast, it's just that she feels no need to keep up, so I end up looking back, seeing how far behind she's fallen, wait for her to catch up then repeat. I finally figured out that I could stay behind her and walk at her pace, so I try to do that. Without thinking though, I usually at some point end up out in front again.

My gate is always purpose-driven I can go from a sachet or a mosey to pin ball speeds in a second.
If I'm in a group I generally try to stick together walking by myself it's generally quick unless I find something of interest.

Like father like daughter.

I work with gravity. I tend to fall and roll like a snowball. Because this time of the year, I look like a snowball.

Well there is a fitness walking and then strolling. And as far as hiking, the slower person or person with the shortest legs sets the pace.

I cherish those people that take the time to look back and make sure I'm there. Smaller people, mostly women, can slip through crowds. I'm large, and male, and so I'm expected to let others go first.

Scuba buddy system fail

since my T2 Diabetes has taken its toll on my feet and legs I have pretty much stopped the hiking scene. I have about 1 hour on level and smooth pathways before I need to stop .... After a long time of serious mountain climbing, skiing, horseback riding and working in physically challenging situations I have become the slow guy who can't keep up.... and suffer when I try to...

blzjz Level 7 Jan 4, 2020

If people are my friends we will find some common ground over pace. If we can’t it wasn’t meant to be 🙂
When walking with family I often say in the middle trying to create a link and maintain communication.
Interesting thought for a query though.

My daughter is 16 now, so she counts. When we go out together, whichever one gets in front slows up for the other until we settle on a mutual speed. It varies day to day.

I don't have long legs but I take long strides. When I walk with someone, I stroll at a pretty good pace, but I look relaxed. If we're shopping or something, I slow down so they can look at whatever. I don't forge ahead. I'm also usually looking around me constantly for whatever might be about to happen, it's the consequence of my job. (Damn situational awareness.)

if a group of us go out we usually naturally end up with people of a similiar pace whether fast,medium or slow .everyone to their own to find the comfort zonw

So how far are you living from the Columbia River? I am about a quarter mile. Just curious as I did not think of the river being that far north, I do realize it starts in Canada, but my mental picture was incorrect.

Wenatchee is on the Columbia River, snuggled up to the Cascade Mountains.

@LiterateHiker Can you see it from where you live? I am not trying to figure out where you live. If I get in my car and take the brakes off and steer a straight line I end up in the river. It is all down hill.

@dalefvictor

Same here. If I head east, it's all downhill to the Columbia River.

Since I live in west Wenatchee, I see foothills from every window. Not the Columbia River. Am not high enough.

@dalefvictor

To find Wenatchee, WA, stick your finger in the center of a map of Washington State. Look under your finger.

@LiterateHiker I know where it is as I have driven through there many years ago. I did not stop as I was in a hurry to get to Auburn.

Just curious how you seem to denigrate those that cannot keep up with you ???

@FrostyJim

You are mistaken. I did not denigrate anyone.

Just describing my experience.

@LiterateHiker - I am sure you did not mean it that way - but that is the way it appears many times... lest we see things through others eyes? ...as said it is only my viewpoint - from another perspective - and we are only right to ourselves?

Perhaps this observation comes from the implicit negativity that comes with the word slow.
If we relate it to a word more acceptable in modern culture, like mindful, we could turn the query around by asking, ‘how do you vary your pace to be with those those less and more mindful of their daily experiences?’ 😉

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:445635
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.