Agnostic.com

2 5

LINK San Francisco’s beloved Beefeater doorman to retire

I was 19 when I first saw this man. 49 The last time. Definitely a part of the San Francisco landscape. πŸ’œ

SeaGreenEyez 9 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My only "HEART" time in San Francisco was 1974 Haight Ashbury and one block on a cable car.....that hotel was over 1 hundred buck$ then probably 500 $ now.....that same and only day THE TOWERING INFERNO was filming and I saw Ali MaGraw riding behind Steve McQueen on a Honda putt putt 70 back up the hill.....next time I order a Bloody Mary I will insist upon BEEFEATERs GIN and toast Sweeney career

I have watched Austin change from a small city of 250,000 the 11th largest metropolitan area in the nation. Many of the things that made Austin unique for over thee decades are gone. I can only be thankful I was there for many of those years. I am sure if I was in my 20s or 30s I would think Austin is a very exciting city, but it has lost it's funk appeal for many of us.

@Sticks48, my father graduated from the University, and my mother's parents lived in Austin. I have many fond memories of Austin. I have watched it change from a town that would double in population when the "lege" was in session and that had only one TV station (Ladybird's) to what it has become.

I still like Austin, but these days I feel more at home in Long Beach. While Austin and Portland lay claim to weird, Long Beach is its own brand of peculiar, with a very healthy art, music, theater and literature scene. It also has a greater variety of food and better weather. Unfortunately, I realize that a lot of what I love about this place is living on borrowed time and it will eventually go the way that Austin has.

P.S. A few of my favorite memories:
Swimming at Barton Springs on a 100ΒΊ+ day
Walking from my grandparent's home down to the drug store and buying Lamme's Pralines
Getting pecans from my grandparent's pecan trees
The bats at sundown
"Hippy Christmas"
A dinner with one of my best friends at Threadgill's (when asked if we wanted anything else after desert, my friend responed, "Yes, a wheelbarrow to get us to the car" ).
Seeing the Austin Lounge Lizards live at Antone's

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:448263
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.