Agnostic.com

58 8

Depressed Agnostics?

I read an article that said the depression rate for non-believers is higher than for believers. Do you think this is correct and why?

Grecio 7 Jan 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

58 comments (51 - 58)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It seems correct to me. I know this. When I come here and folks post things that are outright cold, non-caring, and all, it depresses me, and I leave. I come back another day. However, I have noticed this to be a trending theme.

[conservapedia.com] Would you agree that agnostics are interested in cold, non-caring ideas? I guess agnostics and atheists have feelings? I think I do. I try to think without emotion We have to be open and candid about what we are interested in even if it isn't always pretty. Just saying.

@Grecio It appears to me they lack something. I'm not sure what it is. I cannot quite put my finger on it. Perhaps without God there is no love, no caring? Just a thought. I have often found myself questioning even love these days. You?

@JustLuAnn I think love does exist today in this world. I think people that commit suicide have love. However, I do think they're some kind of meme going on that encourages mass killings. I read that have been 380 mass killings prior to October 2019. I don't know if this was the USA or the whole world. I don't think a person has to be religious to have love and care for others. However, I do think you are on to something when you write "something is missing".

Not really wired to feel much depression. So out of a sample size of 1 I'd have to disagree. Not being forced to follow a stupid belief structure really keeps me relaxed and happy.

[conservapedia.com]

@Grecio interesting

meh, I wouldnt doubt it. security is a strong motivator ... ask Maslow.

Haha what a joke, I felt depressed when I was married with God, Jesus but since I got divorced from she/he God ,I'm Ok without his/her manipulation.

I have personally known several people that killed themselves. Most of them gave no clue that they were unhappy. I suppose there are some people who simply rather not live in this world. I have read where soldiers that have fought in the middle east have a high rate of suicide after returning.
Some people have an easy life and many have a hard life. If one has a very hard life and also believes that life has no meaning anyway then why stick around. Just saying.

I agree with what someone wrote below. Depression is a sign of weakness for believers.

I have suffered from depression but has never had anything to do with non-religion or religion. It has always been associated with family problems.

Source:

Richard Dawkins' book "The God Delusion" along with a community college biology class, have been linked to the tragic suicide of Jesse Kilgore.[20] Kilgore had several discussions with friends and relatives in which he made it clear Dawkins' book had destroyed his belief in God. This loss of faith is considered the cause of his suicide which is not surprising given that there is evidence which suggest that atheism can be a causal factor for suicide for some individuals.[21][22][23][24]

Richard Dawkins' book "The God Delusion" along with a community college biology class, have been linked to the tragic suicide of Jesse Kilgore.[20] Kilgore had several discussions with friends and relatives in which he made it clear Dawkins' book had destroyed his belief in God. This loss of faith is considered the cause of his suicide which is not surprising given that there is evidence which suggest that atheism can be a causal factor for suicide for some individuals.[21][22][23][24]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:449716
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.