Agnostic.com

58 8

Depressed Agnostics?

I read an article that said the depression rate for non-believers is higher than for believers. Do you think this is correct and why?

Grecio 7 Jan 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

58 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I call BS! Being threatened with Hell 24/7/365 is not a recipe for happiness!

[conservapedia.com]

@Grecio "conservapedia"????? The name tells me all I need to know!

Actual article would be nice.

And no, I don't believe it would be higher - there's jyst so many different things to depression

1of5 Level 8 Jan 15, 2020

[conservapedia.com]

@Grecio thanks

Just going to say consider the source (conservapedia? You do know why it exists, right?) and look at the authors. I have a lot of trouble with the inherant biases of both.

Sigh....

Slartibartfast - "I'd rather be happy than right."

Arthur Dent - "And are you?"

Slartibartfast - "....no."

No. It depends on every person, regardless of faith.

I think that religious beliefs are very damaging and I would be surprised if non-believers are truly more depressed than believers. Also, believers typically insist that happiness is based on their belief system so I wouldn't be surprised to find a surplus of skewed results in studies on the subject.

Not to mention, many religious people either do not believe in mental illnesses like depression or think their faith is getting them through their struggles. So they may lie to themselves and to researchers about not being depressed. I have known christians who would never admit to being depressed or anxious or mentally ill, but there is obviously something wrong with them.

@demifeministgal So true.

If the reported rate of depression were higher, that might be due to believers seeking counseling in their church or so on. It doesn't follow that the actual rate of depression is higher among atheists/agnostics, and even if it were, correlation is certainly not causation.

more or less frequent is not the point here really. all depends on the nature of the depression the person the place time xcetera as to whether or not someone finds depression, in or out of religion or anything else. getting into some ice cream usually helps though.

Bull. Ever been in a mental institution? I have, from both sides and there are lots of god believers.

That article depresses me. So I didn't read it.

Let's see some data and sources/

Richard Dawkins' book "The God Delusion" along with a community college biology class, have been linked to the tragic suicide of Jesse Kilgore.[20] Kilgore had several discussions with friends and relatives in which he made it clear Dawkins' book had destroyed his belief in God. This loss of faith is considered the cause of his suicide which is not surprising given that there is evidence which suggest that atheism can be a causal factor for suicide for some individuals.[21][22][23][24]

[conservapedia.com]

@Grecio Thank you for the links. I was hoping for percentage depressed atheists committing suicide versus percentage depressed non-atheists committing suicide. It is hard to come up with real data in a squishy subject like depression or other mental illnesses.

@Spinliesel You are totally correct, of course. Psychological tests and data are difficult to quantify.

We really need the source and the data from the study, the date released, additional data from other studies etc. It may be from watchtower for all we know. It may be one study that was written 50 years ago. It may be a concsenses of many studies and somehting yo be concerned about. If I recall correctly the opposite is the conscensus of modern paychology and this is attributed to the guilt and social pressures that religiins cause.

[conservapedia.com]

@Grecio The depression may not have anything to do with a belief in a god. We are social creatures. Atheist are often shunned and loose friendships when they admit they don't believe. The rejection by their social groups may indeed cause depression or make depression more severe.

Post a link to the article

[conservapedia.com]

@Grecio that's not a reliable source

To consider such, I would want to know the source and the authority of said source. It sounds like some kind of drastic argument from a compulsive lier.

MrDMC Level 7 Jan 15, 2020

(Speaking from the christian perspective, as that's the one I'm most familiar with)
Without actually seeing the article or the numbers, I suspect it could have something to do with who is actually being diagnosed and treated. As a christian I was told the answer was always a spiritual one, people need to pray and get right with god and it'll uplift their spirit or whatever.
With that line of thinking, my bet is that christians are far less likely to seek any type of medical treatment or intervention for depression, particularly if they view it sf a secular one, and instead they are more likely to treat it as a spiritual issue to overcome. I had a couple friends in high school who, looking back, were severely depressed and most definitely did not recieve proper treatment from thre church (or their religious parents).
With that in mind, it is definitely believable that christians would have lower rates of depression diagnosed, but I would argue that they experience depression equally as often as non-believers, they just view it as a personal failing or demonic situation to overcome.

I would be really curious to see the actual numbers, and if there seems to be any significant difference between practitioners of different religions, and how significant a role prayer and meditation play.

sc62 Level 5 Jan 26, 2020

I think depression comes with intellect because intellectual people see what is behind the bullshit the media wants us to see. While simpler people only see and think what is presented to them. Also l remember a great deal of sadness when I realized the uncomfortable truth that there was no guy in the sky keeping tabs on everyone and keeping score. Very much like losing a close family member.

Prayer is similar to meditation. Church is social bonding. If more agnostics would meditate & adopt some pets, well......

I wonder if not to believe in any form of afterlife could be a deterrent from commiting suicide.

That is an interesting question. Perhaps it might go either way.

1. “But in the end, one needs more courage to live than to kill himself.” – Albert Camus
  2. “When you’re young and healthy you can plan on Monday to commit suicide, and by Wednesday you’re laughing again.” – Marilyn Monroe
  3. “I am constantly torn between killing myself and killing everyone around me.” – David Levithan
    Nine men in ten are would-be suicides.
    —Benjamin Franklin
    We cannot tear out a single page of our life, but we can throw the whole book in the fire.
    —George Sand
    Death is life’s way of telling you you’re fired. Suicide is your way of telling life you quit.
    —Anonymous
  4. “The man who kills a man kills a man. The man who kills himself kills all men. As far as he is concerned, he wipes out the world.” – G.K. Chesterton

I can only speak for myself; so without a link to the study I can have no opinion on it’s truth. There are valid arguments for each side. If the study was done in a scientific manner I would have no reason to doubt it’s truth.

Depression can be situational or chemical. Religious people depend on God to cure them or consider depression a personal failure, so will rarely admit to depression. Rejection or feared rejection based on lack of religious beliefs has a huge situational impact. My guess is it would have more to do with honesty than anything else if true.

[pewresearch.org]
[conservapedia.com]
Richard Dawkins' book "The God Delusion" along with a community college biology class, have been linked to the tragic suicide of Jesse Kilgore.[20] Kilgore had several discussions with friends and relatives in which he made it clear Dawkins' book had destroyed his belief in God. This loss of faith is considered the cause of his suicide which is not surprising given that there is evidence which suggest that atheism can be a causal factor for suicide for some individuals.[21][22][23][24]

When I start to feel depressed, I think about how I don't have to worry about going to hell — or heaven! Cheers me up no end.

It would have been nice if you could have posted the article or a link so the origins could have been known to us so we could have seen if there was any legitimacy to the claim. A very vague post at best and well I will leave it at that .

[conservapedia.com]

@Grecio thank you , my first impression when I saw the link name was “ of course “ lol but I will look at it because you posted it .

@Outsideit67 Thank you, you are very kind.

I'd review the study before answering.

[conservapedia.com]

@VictoriaNotes What studies? nevermind I found the studies below. Thanks.

Sounds like nonsense. I think they might be confusing depression with ‘not being very happy’.

Where was the article published and who wrote it?

[conservapedia.com]

No, because statistically and numerically there are billions of believers and far fewer non-believers.

I think there are about 6 billion people living in the world. about 3 billion are either Christian (I think includes Catholic) or Islamic.

@Grecio old chart but since you wrote believers and not christian or islamic, there are, as I said, billions of believers and only millions who don't.

If you asked me this as a neutral question, I'd say, "definitely no!'
I'm much happier.
I wish you'd cited the article.

[conservapedia.com]

@Grecio Thank you.
Given the source of the article, I lend it no credence whatsoever, troll.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:449716
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.