Agnostic.com

32 1

Monogamy vs. Polygamy

Do you guys think monagomy is natural or is it a less effective practice for humans? Or we more wired to have multiple sex partners? Let’s discuss.

jonevanmoore 4 Mar 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments (26 - 32)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Probably polygamy but I'm not that ambitious

No, monagomy is unnatural but perhaps culturally necessary. Otherwise those commune of the past wold have continued past 20-30 years

Despite 1000's of years of mongamy being idealized, in today's society more than 70% ae nto mongamous. I do not think it is natural for humans to be monogamous, as that is nto how we behave.

Then again, I am not too keen on polyamy either. Tooofen polyamourous persons focus on the sex and not the individuals and partners are left enoti0onally wanting.

I think monogamy is a nice ideal to srive for as a way to try to get closer, but I think it woudl be an error to actully expect it.

I think the key to making a relationship last is honesty. If a monogamous partners has sex with antoher person, they shoudl be honest about it right away. If they lie and put off tellign their partner, then when their partner does fidn out, it will seem like a huge betrayal, while if a person is honest almsot immediately, then the smarter partners will at least know they are still loved.

Secrets in relationships and families creates dysfuncion. If you want to doom a relationship to failure, then keeping secrets will do it.

"If you want to doom a relationship to failure, then keeping secrets will do it."
So true! And more fundamental than many of us would admit ... peace.

Still think majority are brought up to be Monogamous, get married and have children. Multiple sex partners might be right for some but monogamy right for others.

I like poly because it gets rid of unnecessary conflicts. Like if you're in a monogamous relationship and you cheat, it's a betrayal of trust. Whereas if, from the start, everybody consents then no trust is betrayed because everyone knows what they're getting into.

what do you mean by 'less effective"?

I don't believe monogamy is natural human behavior. It's a societal construct, encouraged by religion, and the aspect of human nature to "own" everything.
People are going to do what (who) they're going to do. However, if you make a promise
to be faithful to one person, you'd damn well better keep your word.
If you know you can't, you shouldn't promise that you will.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:45087
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.