Agnostic.com

43 3

Purpose

So most religious people believe that atheists do not have much to live for because we are godless heathens, so my question is, what brings meaning to your life? Or do you even have to have a "purpose" to live?

TyrionLannister 5 Mar 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments (26 - 43)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No one has a purpose. Life is a random series of events that ends in death.

Assign whatever value you want to whatever thing/idiom/cause you want, it's all arbitrary and meaningless.

I've never understood why it's considered "purpose" to have a dictator tell us what to do, or that it's necessarily a good thing. I'm picturing slaves toiling in the fields under threat of the whip, one saying to another, "Well, at least we have purpose."

The pursuit of happiness, knowledge, adventure, reason, beauty and love are my primary purposes.

No, just a pulse.

Fuck purpose, just live because that's the part you know as well as knowing you're going to die.

My thought is, if you see a niche to be filled - something missing in our culture that could be filled with your talents, strengths and passion, then that is your purpose. You have to see where the needs of the world and your talents cross and therein lies your purpose.

My purpose is to “normalize” humanistic (agnostic, atheistic, naturalistic) thought. I currently do this by offering secular weddings and funerals which are positive and inspirational. I hope someday to finish a book I’ve been writing for years, that could show a new perspective toward a more plausible and positive spiritual mythos than what we currently have.

One doesn't have to have a higher purpose to live - sometimes just getting by alive is all we can do - but hopefully we all strive to bring a little happiness and joy to at least our small circle of family and friends, settting a good example of how we think a good life should be lived in our own particular circumstances.

Purpose implies that we were made with intent. For example cars were built with the purpose of providing transportation. If you are asking about what gives us meaning, well that varies based on personal priorities and philosphy. Personally I derive meaning from the challenges I overcome, the problems I solve, the enemies I defeat, and the mysteries that I solve. In short I derive my meaning from the effect I have on the world, as that is all that will remain of me once I am dead.

I don't think having an over all purpose is necessary.

I think purpose can be foudn in pursuing one's passions, enjoyign things that make you happy as well as love and friendships

I live for any number of reasons. Springing to mind in no particular order: my daughter, my friends, satiating my curiosity, enjoying my life, and many more.

Some days, my purpose is my children. Other days, my purpose is to anger and annoy as many people as I possibly can.

For the record I am spectacular at making people annoyed and angry.

Not sure how I'm doing with the children, they are all still alive, so perhaps I'm doing ok.

I wish I knew. I try to make my wife happy any way I can. Her smile brings me joy...I am not sure if that is a very lofty purpose or not.

Nuke Level 5 Mar 29, 2018

Drawing a breath and having sufficient neurological activity are all you need to be alive. Everything else is up to you to decide what it all means - if anything at all. Personally, singing psalms and hymns on a Sunday does not cut it for me.

Correction... Atheists have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for. That being said my "purpose" is of my own making. To live a good life. To raise my kids to not be assholes. And to learn something new every chance I get.

Life is beautiful for me - I am an artist - I love every part of what I do - I love most of my life - I have D.I.D and it's gentle I am with a very loving person and we live near each other and think and feel and act in tune and when we don't we find the way through. I had a really difficult earlier life and now I am seventy I feel freer than I have ever been- It seems in retrospect that my greatest learning need to be leaarnign to be loved - I do stay away from noisy people and those who 'know ' whats best for me and how I should be feeling thinking and acting - Nice to be able to just tune them out and get on with craft work.

Sharing my love with others and being loved. Bringing happiness to young children through magic.

ebdb Level 7 Apr 10, 2018

I’m here to give, to experience all I can, and produce joy and happiness.

Purpose and meaning ? Why.

Be kind and listen. It's hard not to be non-judgemental. It's an art that I haven't quite mastered yet but hopefully will soon one day.
Our interactions give us meaning and can make us feel good.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:45174
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.