Agnostic.com

12 2

LINK Robots need civil rights, too - The Boston Globe

In response to Scurry asking what is the definition of a robot.If we were already having a hard time understanding human rights this adds another layer to the civil rights onion

btroje 9 Mar 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Would this make what happened to that hitchhiking robot a hate crime?

I didnt hear about that

@btroje Some guys made a hitchhiking robot, which was essentially a series of trashcans with a smile painted on with a GPS. It didn't work out so well.

Well, until they are self-aware and exhibited actual consciousness, it's fairly moot. We'd also need to grant such rights to our primate cousins and to dogs and dolphins first, in my opinion. They have a better claim to it than machines at the moment.

Corporations are treated as people with regards to rights, so why not?

I don't think corporations are people

@btroje Doesn't matter what you think, legally they are.

@WileEQuixote may not matter what I think but just because corporations are considered people doesnt mean it is right and it doesnt follow that these same rights would be given to robots

hm. Programmable devices with rights. Wonderful. So do you want IBM or Windows as President for life?

ow you upset all the Apple fans

@btroje You're right. They could be resurrecting Jobs even as we speak.

@Hicks66 then they would have to add a whole new book to the Bible- THe book of Jobs

@Hicks66 maybe I should have said apple cart

Extensive rights and citizenship was given to the robot Sophia by the Saudi government. I know these practices cause many to be upset and even bring in talk from Revelation about end times and "the beast" but none of that is what this is about. Sophia is an investment and she is much different than an expensive car or mansion home, etc. She is always learning and will be doing so from now on. If she was lost of destroyed it will be hard to put a value on her. In this respect she is like a human. If you can see where I'm going with this you can see why civil rights and even citizenship are important to anything AI. The real importance would be in humans who are behind AI getting compensated properly if anything happened to the robot. Yes, it will get very complicated.

what about an insurance policy?

@btroje I'm sure some attorneys will be working on that one too.

@DenoPenno I havent read a lot about this but it seems odd they jumped to citizenship straight away

@btroje AI is right around the corner in being able to inhabit an animated robot that can move and work as we do. Maybe they are trying to get us ready for that. Instead I'm running onto idiots that want to talk bible, 666, and end times. Using this superstition some are harping that we have to destroy the robots. It takes all kinds.

So is Sophia like Adam (MIT's conglomerate Bot to which they keep adding new tech updates as they are invented?)
Never heard of Sophia

I liked the way the AmazonPrime series "Humans" explored such issues.

I will have to watch that

SMFH
If robots gets "rights", we're going to be even more screwed than we already are.
We can't even agree on guaranteeing basic civil rights to ALL people.
I hope this rock gets hit by a very large asteroid.

Hold off w the rock til after this summer, k? I feel I've been waiting for warm forever...

I vote for civil rights for sentient animals before we talk about giving them to robots. The SCOTUS granted personhood to corporations (Citizens United 2010) so I suppose it's logical for them to grant robots rights as well.

If the robots want it...they'll take it.

If they have AI then they shall be endowed with artificial rights. I vote NO.

it is something hard for me to wrap my mind around

@btroje Yeah, if a fetus or embryo can't have rights, why would anyone convey rights to a machine?

@farmboy2017 or just regular people already on the ground. it seems that hasnt been totally figured out yet

I really hope this doesn't become an issue in my lifetime.

this is only one of many articles listed when you google "robotic rights"
Looks like it is already an issue for some

I think it's good that there are people looking ahead, but with humanity's track record... I'm a bit afraid of the future.

It's all very likely to become a big issue in the next 20 years.

Robot's rights. At the moment no, but if AI developed to the point where a cybernetic organism becomes sensient and self aware, then who knows.....does it not become a race of people? It's a fat onion 🙂

and may bring a lot of tears

@btroje There's an episode of Star Trek TNG called 'The measure of a man', it tries to confront this issue, it's an interesting episode.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:45207
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.