Agnostic.com

14 9

LINK Burns Night traditions: from haggis to poems at a Burns supper, how Scottish people celebrate the National Bard | inews

Happy Burns Night! Haggis dinner tonight. 🙂

Happy Chinese New Year, too!

On the same day this year.

Jetty 7 Jan 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I loved being Scottish until I went on Ancestry to find out that I'm Irish.

I long ago committed to try some haggis. I have no idea where to try it.

I am so impressed with the Scottish people to continue celebrating a poet. Where are the Goethe or the Schiller or the Brothers Grimm celebrations in Germany? It is so endearing to look at the celebrations and the special food.

Last year I went to a do and we read the haggis poem. This year didn’t worry about celebrating , but my Scottish friend always does haggis (veggie from Marks & Spencer’s for me), neeps and tatties and then we drink scotch and chat all night 😊
Went to Chinese New Year 🧧 celebrations in the city, saw a dragon, gave red envelopes with coins in to my niece and nephews 😊 I cannot complain 🙂

@Jetty yes, it’s yummy too 😉

Very interesting didn't know this since there are no Scottish butchers around won't be trying haggis though I would like to

bobwjr Level 10 Jan 26, 2020

Interesting, always love to learn about other cultures. Not sure I could stomach the haggis ! LOL

Oh...it’s really tasty...you’d love it. It has to be made by a good butcher though!

@Marionville I used to love haggis. The best national dish I’ve ever eaten!

@Marionville I will take your word for it Marje, since I went vegetarian a year ago I’m not eating any meat. 😍

@Redheadedgammy I didn’t realise that.

@Marionville yeah, did it for health reasons and am doing a whole lot better.😘

@Redheadedgammy Glad to hear that. I don’t eat nearly as much red meat as I used to, but still enjoy it when I do,

Thank you for promoting my culture! Rabbie Burns is our Scottish National Bard. Sadly, because I live in Northern Ireland I didn’t have haggis on my menu last night, no local butchers here make them. I did raise my glass of Talisker single malt whisky though, and toasted the Bard !

I will be celebrating , "Chinese New Year , " at the Lucky Land , theme parl , this year , and plan to be in my dragon scooter , which is always fun .

Isn't it the year of the rat again? I thought the rat was in the White House.

He’s a skunk!

@Jetty yes, the sheep isn’t what western culture regards as sheepish either 😉

Checking out my Scottish roots (fully) is on my bucket list.

A fairly accurate summary, but SCOTCH whisky please !!

I have tried haggis and found it tasty. Not nice to look at but tasty.

I had heard of something called grits and I assumed that it may be similar to haggis so I tried it in a diner somewhere in California I think it was. It was disgusting. No tatste and a horrible texture. Never again.

@Moravian you have to put butter on it, that's why it exists, and the texture should be creamy.

@SenorRotten I thought so. I think I would prefer bacon to butter. It was obviously a poor diner.

Not just tasty....delicious! 😂

@Moravian Never heard of grits in Scotland. They are a Southern American dish, [en.m.wikipedia.org]
Haggis is mainly meat based, with oats and herbs I believe.

@girlwithsmiles Mostly offal (heart,lungs etc) with oatmeal and seasoning. The seasoning is important and the vegetarian version is quite tasty as well.

@Moravian yes, meat based, thanks! in a sheep stomach too isn’t it? My dad used to loved telling me that as a kid, and about other meat based British, ‘delicacies’, I was trying not to be like him!
Oh you mean grits are offal? Not according to the recipes I’ve found. I’ve looked them up a few times now, as Janet Evanovich talks about them in her Stephanie Plum novels too. Never heard of the offal part.

Long live the Scottish Bard

“Good luck to you and your honest, plump face,
Great chieftain of the sausage race!”

Is that an Aussie translation ? 🙂. (Fair fa' your honest sonsy face)

@Moravian It is, me proper Scots is crap!

Not too bad a translation!

Happy Burns night! Let's open the Macallan!

Will my Talisker do? Slainte Mhath! 🥃

@Marionville, but of course! 😀

I attended a burns supper last night and a dram was supplied along with the meal. There was much debate as to which whisky it was without seeing the bottle and it was only later that I saw that one of the sponsors of the evening was Tomatin distillery so I think that answered the question.
I think most whisky drinkers can differentiate between Speyside,Highland and the peaty Western Isles malts but to isolate the actual distillery is a bit more difficult

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:452993
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.