Agnostic.com

39 11

Making whites white again.

Calm down, this is a laundry question.

I have a white duvet cover from ikea that has gotten dingy over the years and bleach isn't working to get that gross color out. Does anyone have any suggestions other than buying a new one? I really like this one.

NicThePoet 7 Mar 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments (26 - 39)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Mrs. Steward's bluing.

Bluing the whites is as old as ever. If I am not mistaken, the whitening properties of this colloid was discovered by accident when a "piece of blue" fall in one of the batches where paper was being made ions ago

Body oils cause the discoloration, they attract dirt and trap it. Try soaking in borax or Biz then double rinse it. If the dingyness comes out but it is still kinda drab put a few drops of blueing in the rinse water, mix well then add the blanket, run a long rinse and long spin dry. My mom was a dry cleaner.

Thank you!

I thought this was a racist thing.

Dim the lights.

godef Level 7 Mar 28, 2018

Fels Naptha!

Why don't you dye it blue?

Lol maybe dye it another colour as it's your only real option.

been there, done that

yes, me too and your point is?

Soak it in the bathtub with OxyClean powder and hot water, for at least an hour.
Then launder with OxyClean and detergent. Again, in hot water.

Try white vinegar. Look up the cleansing properties of the stuff.

Bring it to a dry cleaner?

cava Level 7 Mar 28, 2018

As previously said Borax or in its refined form Boric Acid. Bleach will only make whites containing Polyester or Nylon a worse cream. Most stain removers will also not help and Oxygen rich detergents will also cream the Polyester. Borax from supermarket or hardware, Boric Acid from your industrial chemical store. both are cheap and you don't need much

Try using a stain remover. I had some oil on one of my favorite pairs of pants. It had not come out, even after several washes. In a last resort, I tried a stain remover gel, let it sit overnight, and washed. Oil gone, pants usable again.

Spray and Wash, but let it set for awhile. Bleach would b my first choice. Oxyclean works on some stuff.

It seems all white fabrics over time get discolored, primarily through minerals in the water when washing. This is especially true with well wter which discolors whites much faster.

You might try dry cleaning, which uses chemicals to clean and may disolve the bond of the minerals, bot even that may not work. Other than that, you may hve to buy a new one.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:45340
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.