Agnostic.com

39 5

What is something your parents told you as a kid that you realized later it was an outright lie?

Aralt 7 Mar 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well, I'm not blind. That's a bonus.

But, do you have hairy palms? 🙂

"You better be good! Santa's coming."

That if you're nice to others they'll be nice to you; that you don't turn your back on family.

Gozer Level 4 Mar 28, 2018

Just Santa. Everything else they told me, even if wrong, was something they believed, so not a lie.

That I'd be dead by the time I was 30.
Outlived that lie by 26 years.

"Jesus loves you."

My mother told me to go to Sunday school to become a good Cristian, but she lied.............She wanted to enjoy at least 1 hour without interuption to have a bonk.

Ha it's been a while since I heard the word "Bonk" ?

Yes, the word bonk goes back a long long time [. like me.]......but it is quite a nice soft word for a " hard " subject.

We were just wrestling.

God is good.

My father told me that he could tell by looking at my forehead whether or not I was lying. He would have me lift up my hair so that he could look. I quickly realized that he was lying to me🙂

A friend if mine told her daughter that her ears turned red when she lied. She really could tell when the girl was lying; she always covered her ears.

Who my father was.

That our dog had kidney problems that made her bleed every once and a while.

wow, every word they uttered I think.
My mother raised us on how she never finished her education but would never do that to one of her children = lie.
They would always treat all of their children equally = lie, I was told to leave home at 16, I have a 56 year old brother still living in the family home.

That I could be anything I wanted to be.

Santa, Easter bunny, tooth fairy..... the list is endless! Lying bastards! 🙂

Do you mean they knew they were lying, or just told me something they believed was true?

I don't know of any deliberate lies, except maybe when my mom pretended to pay attention to me when I was talking, while she was busy typing.

"Your belly button is for holding salt when you're lying down eating celery," Dad said while lying on the couch, reading.

"Ladies spit in their purses," Mom said on Easter Sunday. At age five, I believed her.

Kids loved visiting our house. Our family had six, hilarious, left-handed musicians.

Somehow my mom and I went to a LGBT parade in NYC when I was around 12, and I asked her what were those shiny colorful squares doing on the ground....she said it was for protection... didn't ask any further questions for some reason haha

Aborigines are less evolved than whitefellas. To be fair, they believed it to be true.

When we want another baby, we just ask God, and here comes another one.

Santa, & that my father was always "going to see a man about a dog!"
I couldn't give a rats about Santa but damm I wanted a dog.....

Santa, & that my father was always "going to see a man about a dog!"
I couldn't give a rats about Santa but damm I wanted a dog.....

My mother told me that if I did not "feel god" when I was prayed over by the preacher, I was going to hell and burn for all eternity. I was terrified, because I felt nothing, even though other kids claimed they did feel "the wonderful rapture of god's presense."

When I learned in 7th grade that the earth is millions (later billions) of years old, and not 6,000 years old, as I was told, I realized they were lying to me - but not to be mean, but because they had been so misinformed.

Dad, in an effort to get me to eat the bread crust from my sandwich, told me that, just like the peal of an apple, that was the healthiest part of the sandwich - all the vitamins were concentrated in the crust...
...yea...right...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:45395
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.