Agnostic.com

6 3

You guys need to stop with this "scientific method" worship

I see a huge segment of people here under the mistaken belief that the "Scientific Method" is some foolproof evidentiary method. It's not. It has holes.

First of all ... it doesn't come from where you think it does. SM is a method of epistemology that requires measurable characteristics to record hopefully predictable results - thus supporting a conclusion. This theory of epistemology was examined long before the Renaissance by vedic scholars in the Indus valley.

Second, those scholars pointed out its' shortcomings thousands of years ago. The SM itself requires an objective position and a measurable trait or characteristic. Those of us from the engineering world know exactly what this means. You insert a test instrument directly into the event to be measured. Thus the observation must be independent of the event from an objective position and it must be measuring something we can measure. Potentiometers always must be cognizant of the resistance they add while being inside the event they measure. We have to be able to account for our presence to deduce its' own influence over the total measure. That's simple physics. Plus it has to be within our instruments' abilities to measure. This isn't always the case either. Why do you think we must make these massive colliders? Some traits are beyond simple measure.

Plus ... the SM requires some rudimentary knowledge of the process or some theory to be evaluated. This means there are always some points of speculation before the SM can even take place. That's how the Scientific Method works. You don't start right off with the "scientific proof" step.

Thus, if you think that requiring all things to meet the SM is a foolproof method you are wrong. And not seeing this limit is a problem because it causes many to be delusional. Make sure to recognize.

JeffMesser 8 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

“Scientism” can be just another form of religion.

Jeff, I use the scientific method and know its product has to be falsifiable.
Your opening line tells me you once worshipped the SM and are finding it hard to stop. Your method of teaching vedic methods will fail.

yes, because the vedas are just a 75,000 year old "flash in the pan", right? LOL

I have never worshipped the Scientific Method. I am incapable of following your injunction.

I avoid using the word 'proof' (or foolproof) in the context of science. (Apart from math, which is related) Science does not prove phenomenon, but I think it does a good job of convincing. There are always "error bars" and possibility of refinement or new/different 'discoveries'.

It's still better than a "wild ass guess"!

how do you think it starts?

@JeffMesser An idea. An idea is generally a little more than a WAG. It may get there with a WAG at some point though.

@Sticks48 would you like to further articulate the distinction between a guess and an idea?

@JeffMesser If you don't know I really can't help you. You probably own a dictionary or you can Google it.

@Sticks48 that was sarcasm.

@JeffMesser So was that. 🙂

@Sticks48 some people would be dumb enough to actually think there is a difference between those 2 things.

@JeffMesser And some people are dumb enough not to see the difference, subtle it may be, but still there.

Hooray !

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454824
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.