Agnostic.com

14 7

Black Bean Chili with Ground Turkey

I made up this healthy recipe for my daughter who loves chili. Threw in a grated carrot for extra nutrition and a little sweetness. Delicious.

Top with grated cheddar cheese at the table. It's wonderful with cornbread and a salad.

Black Bean Chili with Ground Turkey

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
½ large sweet onion, chopped
2 teaspoons diced garlic
One raw carrot, grated
1-3 teaspoons chili powder (to taste)
One pound ground turkey breast, 99% fat-free
Two 16-ounce cans black beans, rinsed well and drained
One 16-ounce jar mild salsa
Two 16-ounce cans diced tomatoes with juice (preferably with no salt)
Frozen corn, 8 oz. (1/2 small bag)

¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1-2 teaspoons brown sugar, optional.

1. In a 12-inch skillet over medium heat, heat oil; add onion, garlic and grated carrot; cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently until tender.

2. Add chili powder; cook and stir 1 minute to coat well.

3. Add turkey; cook 6 to 8 minutes, stirring and breaking up; until meat has lost its raw color and is well broken up.

4. Stir in beans, salsa, tomatoes with their juice, corn, salt, pepper and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low, simmer 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally until flavors are blended.

Makes 8 servings. Enjoy!

#oil
LiterateHiker 9 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

'Tis the season... I just finished a three "chili" (depends how one defines it) bonanza: shredded beef chili, green chili (pork based), and white chili (chicken). Dinner tonight is already done! (:

Zster Level 8 Feb 2, 2020

Just out of curiosity , why specify salt free tomatoes , then add salt to the pot ? Also , looks like there's corn in there , too .

@Castles

Processed canned tomatoes have way too much sodium. Since age 24, I have not eaten any fast food, processed or preserved meats, deep fried food, pizza, donuts or any of the salty, high fat, corn syrupy crap Americans love.

Instead I cook at home from scratch. For over 30 years, I have baked whole grain bread (kneading).

I don't have a jaded palate like most Americans who eat a lot of processed junk.

I included corn in the recipe for color.

And it's the time of year here in Ohio for chili!
As an "elder" whose tummy isn't thrilled with beef anymore, this looks good.

This will be the base for my super bowl supper tomorrow night 😊

When is it being served?

I make a great, if I do say so myself, white bean chicken chili.

Another great recipe ,now time to go and make supper 🙂

It looks like it would go well through the dehydrator to be reconstituted on the track. That with some rice would be a hearty meal after a day walking.

@Cyklone

At high elevations, the smallest chunk is like a rock in your mouth, even when soaked in boiling water.

I made dehydrated meals for backpacking trips. To reconstitute at high elevations, food need to be dried and reduced to powder. The problem is dinner looks like mud.

The greatest idea I had was frozen Asian vegetables. Threw away the white disks. Broccoli, pea pods, sweet red pepper, onions, carrots. Chopped small and dehydrated, they reconstitute quickly at high elevations.

Add colorful vegetables atop a boring meal and it's a hit!

@LiterateHiker I've not done much hiking at high elevations so that's interesting to know. I've found that things like spag bog and chilli rehydrate well at normal elevations.

I always put corn in mine, at the end. I love how it brightens it up.

It is a good thing you live so far away. It is lunch time and I am hungry and that looks great.

I'll try that.

I've got to get my stove fixed.

Lovely. I am making chili tomorrow with firm tofu and lots of Indian spices but otherwise resembling your wonderful recipe.

No cumin tomato paste or corrander?

@Cutiebeauty

I use Robert Redford's mild salsa. It has cumin in it.

Feel free to adjust the recipe to your taste.

@LiterateHiker salsa? I've never heard of that but it sounds like an excellent idea! But I make my own salsa..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:455323
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.