Agnostic.com

15 22

Wrote from my heart. Recommendation for the girl I'm mentoring.

What do you think? I wrote from my heart. This letter is for scholarship committees. I wrote about things that touched my heart, in greater detail than her personal statement.

They will also get her personal statement that says at age 12, she began working in orchards, pouring 25-pound buckets of cherries into a bin for seven hours. As the first-generation and the oldest child of Mexican immigrants, her Spanish-speaking parents have always depended on her. Daniela began translating for her parents at age eight.

In her junior and senior years, Daniela has taken classes at Wenatchee Valley College through the Running Start program. In June, she will graduate with a two-year Associates college degree, in addition to her high school diploma. My daughter did Running Start, too.

Photo: Daniela (right) and her mother at a high school football game. They are the same height. Sept. 2019.

Good morning!

I highly recommend Daniela for a scholarship based on her accomplishments, inner drive, ability to overcome adversity, people skills and commitment to helping people in need. Daniela is fluent in Spanish and English. Despite growing up in poverty, Daniela forged ahead and excelled academically, joining the Running Start program at Wenatchee Valley College and earning a 3.75 GPA.

This remarkable young woman is the most responsible teenager I have met. Starting in third grade, Daniela rushed to pick up her three younger siblings from their classrooms and daycare (now ages six to 14). Daniela took charge of making dinner and helped her siblings with homework, baths, reading and bedtime, then did her own homework.

“My mother is amazed that I have a big whiteboard on my bedroom wall with deadlines, my work and sports schedules for me and my siblings,” Daniela said. “I go to my siblings’ games. It helps them to know a family member is there, cheering them on.”

“I had to grow up very fast,” Daniela said. “Playing sports let me be a kid.”

She played soccer for five years, followed by track, basketball, football, volleyball, swimming, tennis (grades 10-12), and weightlifting. Athletics increased her well-being and helped her stay centered. Being an athlete inspired her to become a physical therapist.

“Physical therapy fits because I want to do something on my feet,” Daniela said. “I want to learn about muscles and bones, about my own body and help other people.”

One of Daniela’ most charming personality traits is her modesty. Daniela is thoughtful, self-motivated, organized and a wonderful, descriptive writer. She leads by example. This girl will make you proud.

Kathleen

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Really great kid, and you wrote beautifully about her. Hope she gets into whichever school she wants!

Orly Level 5 Feb 9, 2020

@Orly

Daniela was accepted at Washington State University, her #1 choice. Thanks for your kind words.

I want to see more posts like this one. Wonderful!

Her story is totally inspiring to me. You clearly understand and appreciate her. I'll bet there are many young people who are similarly responsible beyond their years, and don't get the kind of support and recognition they deserve. We have among us unsung heroes quietly living everyday lives of struggle and responsibility in the face of adversity> They deserve only the best. I am glad you are there for her.

What a great kid! She is lucky to have you in her life! I did get the feeling that you could make passing gas out to be a momentous lofe achievement if you wished! There is nothing in the letter that is over the top, you just have a great talent.

Well written! And will catch the eyes and imagination of those selecting people for scholarships.

Wish I knew Daniela!

I think it is easier to be more detailed as an adult and when you have not been depended on by your family and having to work since childhood. I think we should admire students like her more than we admire students from loving, supportive families where kids could just be kids. No offense to your daughter.

@MissKathleen I just didn't understand the need to shoehorn her own daughter's story in there. Let this young woman have her own moment to shine without making it about one or one's loved ones. You know?

@demifeministgal

The recommendation letter begins with "Good morning!" I mentioned that my daughter did Running Start, too, to show many students benefit from the Washington State program.

@MissKathleen ahh so its an annoying parental thing to talk about one's kid(s) any time one can? cool :/

So beautiful and thoughtfully written, and I am proud to know such an extraordinary young woman is moving successfully through her life. Certainly, your mentorship and experienced support will serve to take her even further!

@tinkercreek

Aww...gee...shucks! (sound of scraping hiking boot). Thank you, dear.

Wonderfully written, she is a lucky young lady to have you in her corner!

@Observer-Effect

Thank you.

You might send that to trump. He seems to not realize brown people can be achievers and he might need a PT to deal with his bone spurs.

a Beautiful letter and recommentaion that appears to be well earned and so thoughtfully brought to reality with your caring recommendation

@RoyMillar

Thank you so much. I hope Daniela likes it. Tomorrow morning, we will meet to work on scholarship applications due 3/1/2020.

excellent,have fun doing it

You are doing a fine job there. Good to see people caring for others.

Looks great!

Families fail without great women like Daniela already a leader aspiring to be a healer.....another way we Atheists can help others excel is THE CLEMENTE PROJECT.....where literate mentors are matched with people afraid of collegiate reading....a single course single semester night class reading a Greek play interpreting their own values or life story after the Greek model Then Producing their own play selling tickets to raise money to continue as a college student

A excellent recommendation.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:457746
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.