Agnostic.com

13 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I believe this has happened in history already. The stupid people are going to effectively out-breed us. Religious families procreate something like 25-1 over secular ones

Do we need to worry about atheists going apostate?

What is the definition of "exists" anyway?

If we accept the physics view on time as a construct then there is no beginning or end to things. only changes in form over existence.

obviously his "powers" aren't as vast or significant as they seem to believe ... but to the extent that these believers have "faith" in the existence of their deity then he exists. just in a much more limited scope than they believe. limited to those within their group and those they affect.

why believe? well, a few reasons:

1. a common message unites people in purpose as well as socially. same concept as a common enemy uniting former opponents. there is also the tie here to identity politics.
  2. if they can get engrossed in their views then such beliefs can make people achieve things that they couldnt achieve without some other object of focus. it can be an incredibly powerful motivator.
  3. it provides personal security for the believer.
  4. many of the exercises and rituals have secondary benefits that can be exploited.

While I have NO belief in the hindu gods, I do still chant mantras in sanskrit. I also engage in other so-called acts of faith in performance of my daily "compulsory karma". The meditation in the upasana yoga has both health benefits and mental benefits. It has also done wonders for my anger control. The satvika yoga has been praised by my shrinks and heart doctor for getting me over a depression hump and into the gym. It stresses daily positive thoughts about my parents and ancestry, the concepts and practice of forgiveness (6 lb 8 oz baby Jesus is my ishta devata), and doing good deeds for other humans and animals. These are all accomplished daily by compulsory yajna that shapes and shades you entire day in a positive light. It creates new, good habits. I couldnt care less about invoking the power of some fictional being. I care about shaping my thinking and personal habits and that is aided by observing some beliefs.

"obviously his "powers" aren't as vast or significant as they seem to believe ... but to the extent that these believers have "faith" in the existence of their deity then he exists."

Actually, the delusion "exists" not the actual deity.

A child may believe they "love" Santa, but in actuality, they "love" the concept, the idea, of Santa. Because, Santa does not exist. You cannot love an unsubstantiated belief. You may love the concept or idea of that belief which you have conceptualized over your lifetime from many different sources. But the substance, the proof, the most important thing needed to make people believe, that they can't produce.

I once saw a young girl in utter grief, sobbing uncontrollably, and could not be comforted. I learned that someone had told her that Santa did not exist and it was as if she had lost an actual loved one. Some might say, how awful that someone told her the truth about Santa. I say, how awful that someone told her the lie in the first place.

@nogod4me you're merely arguing semantics. everything you think exists is actually just signals interpreted by your brain. there's no blue. that wall isn't solid.

@JeffMesser If you get run over by a truck, the "signals interpreted by your brain" will not be "there's no truck or that truck isn't solid." However, the delusion or denial that it wasn't harmful or "solid" may still be there.

@nogod4me that is someone else's volition - not your own. you can intersect with the influence of another's reality with your thoughts and actions.
"A man is but the products of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." - Mahatma Gandhi

@JeffMesser And no amount of thought will make a truck that is about to hit you less "solid."
Positive thoughts can motivate toward acquiring a goal, however, they don't create substance.

@nogod4me the physical reality of something colliding with something else is only one aspect of its' existence. a small one when you consider the ravages of time. you absolutely fail to consider inter-reactions with the surrounding world. But of course that's because your view is static. existence, however, is NOT static. a frozen frame of time is a tiny percentage of the whole. this is precisely what you guys miss. entirely.

@JeffMesser it's a very powerful "aspect of its' existence" since it can end your existence. Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.

It reminds me of one of the most hilarious cults: Christian Science.

In comparison, the following appears in page 240 of Arthur Corey’s, Christian Science Class Instruction, where the phrase is then quoted from Mrs. Eddy rather than Calvin Frye:

“During dessert at Pleasant View one evening, Laura Sargent posed this question: ‘Mother, if someone put a leaden bullet through your heart as we sit here at the table, what would become of you really?’ Smiling quietly, her teacher looked up and said, ‘Why, I'd go right on eating my apple pie.’ What she clearly implied by that was that while she might appear dead to them, she couldn't possibly appear dead to herself, and so would go right on doing exactly what she was doing and seeing it in the same old way. She brought this out in a discussion of the subject with Dr. Frank L. Riley in November 1897, in which she said that if she saw the Doctor slain by an arrow before her, she could no longer converse with him. She added that he would go on about his affairs, leaving no body in the chair where he had sat, while she would proceed to bury his dead body in belief.”

[christiansciencehistory.typepad.com]

That is so funny, Mary Baker Eddy denies the physical bullet going through her heart will kill her while at the same time embracing the fact that eating a physical substance will sustain her. Just utter nonsense from the insane.

@nogod4me and just because something can intercede and cause an alternate effect doesn't disprove existence. thats a complete failure of your logic.

@JeffMesser What is interceding? What alternate effect? Believers are consistently trying to "disprove existence," reality, science, history, and truth, trying to make their delusions plausible. What they need to do is to prove the existence of the nonsense they believe in. That would solve their problem, first PROVE their god or beliefs are true then everyone on this planet can join the conversation.

Believers believe in things they cannot see and doubt the things they can see.

Believers have deluded themselves to the point of denying everything that is contrary to what they BELIEVE so that they may KNOW that ONLY what they BELIEVE is true. That is insanity.

@nogod4me and if you would actually LISTEN instead of just looking for more ways to say the same thing then maybe you'd start to understand that the methods of "proof" you seem to require are not always available for all things. for chrissakes take a damn epistemology class and learn something.

@JeffMesser so you are saying that you can't PROVE what you think you KNOW and actually only believe to be true.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." - Douglas Adams

@nogod4me no, I am saying that the things you think are required for proof aren't always available but you're being completely closed about it. so there's no point in continuing this "discussion". you won't listen. you just keep saying the same things.

@JeffMesser so you are saying that just because we cannot prove something then we can just make up anything we want and tell everyone else that they are being close-minded about it because they won't accept the lack of evidence as proof. That is the cult mind.

@nogod4me no, I am saying hat there are limits to the method of epistemology you expect and you need to learn them. such static testing requires an objective perspective and a measurable trait. when neither of those is available then you must find other methods. you don't just keep saying "well if you don't show THIS then it doesn't exist" when THIS isn't even an available method. As with red shift and other effects you must find other methods of proof. And with that I am done with this exchange. If you're not willing to open up then there's no point continuing. You're resolved to stay where you're at and that's your loss. Maybe some day you will realize your myopia and find there are other forms of "proof".

@JeffMesser I don't have to say that something doesn't exist, it is the person making the assertion that must prove the assertions they make. I couldn't care less about the myriad of beliefs and nonsense people spout without evidence.

What "other methods" do you suggest when dealing with belief, other than proof: wishful thinking; blind faith?

Have you believed every lie someone has told you simply because they cannot prove they are not lying to you?

It’s a great article, well written, but I question if real religion ever actually left. The equating of religion with belief is sort of bogus IMO. Religion is in the heart of humanity, and it expresses itself over and over in various ways.

Dogmatic and literal “Belief” in a particular tradition—that is not religion.

I agree!

The problem is mental laziness. It takes a good deal of effort to discern and follow facts and evidence. It takes very little effort to listen to and obey a religious leader in blind faith.

Politically back. In other words, it suits the politicians and demagogues of the world to use it to their advantage.
At the first hint of religion being a hindrance, it would be shunned by them.
Meanwhile, they brainwash the uneducated masses in order to increase their power base.
This is nothing new. Christianity only became widespread after a Roman emperor enlisted their fanatical help to defeat a rival contender to his title.

Hmmm! Interesting article. What immediately comes to mind is that the world goes round and round. Everything old becomes new again. As does religion. And of course business is only too eager to exploit that or those that turn to it. If you think the world is becoming too well educated to return to religion, look no further than the masses willing to believe Trump. Perhaps the world’s greatest liar. Don’t try too hard to figure it all out or your head will explode.

Total bull 💩. The sheeple are following the Demi-devil. There’s no return to Christianity. There are few true Christians (those who truly believe and live as the Bible tells them). The rest make 💩 up as they go!

"The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it."--unknown.
"The truth will prevail where there is pains to bring it to light.'--George Washington, famous deist.
As our knowledge of reality deepens, loyalty to falsity thins, weakens, and finally withers.
It's been written, "Patriotism is the last refuge, to which a scoundrel clings;" patriotism, or false idols? Both?
A foundation of lies, built on sand, easily washes away; a house of wood eventually decays and falls with the rain and wind.
Build with stone, and lies are (or mere ignorance is) helpless in the end.
Either we lived with dinosaurs or not...loud protestations notwithstanding.
Either 'god' created the universe in six days or not...nonsense is irrelevant.
Increasingly people know this, more strongly with each passing year.
There is no 'tipping point,' in my opinion, just a gradual eating away at a weak foundation, while a stronger one takes it's place.

Although this is a reality, also many people on the other hand are moving away from religion. Islam is growing? Perhaps. It won't be forever. Sooner or later people will be disappointed with it. I don't have a problem with people believing in God, I have a problem with organised religion. The belief is too personal to try to make it collective. I know people who believe in God but they aren't really religious and don't take the "holy book" of their supposed religion too seriously. The organised religion brings the fanaticism to people and that's what I'm against. However, if religion wouldn't bring that, there was also no harm in that.

I've seen enough disorganized religion believers that they are not much better than believers in organized religion. Politically yes, but they tend to be the anti-vaxxers and the people that don't want telescopes on mountain tops. I've had it with crystals and magic.

In times of stress and uncertainty people lose faith in themselves... thus they turn to religon.

Certainly not in my case - and I have been in many extremely precarious situations. The only thing that happens is that afterwards I truly appreciate being alive and sentient.

@Petter Ah... so you have not lost faith in yourself. If you had , you might have had to turn to religion...

@chiara23k ... or to a friend, preferably female!
But never to a myth.

What I get out of this is that the world as we thought we knew it is being ripped apart. Leaders know this and they cause this. "We tell us stories in order to live" is the more than famous words of Joan Didion,- it seems to be an ongoing truth. Everyone has faith and religion one way or another. Even your dog has religion. In the confusion people feel that they have to have something. Many will fight you to say that a thing must be true because it is on You Tube. (My apologies to You Tube because I do like them and view their content.) In order to get every dime out of us leaders play with our belief and this also helps us to twist their lies into distorted visions of them as our savoirs. They become part of our religion just like that dog.

It all brings me back to something I have only become aware of since retirement age. I'm on the wrong world. This is not my world any longer. No, I have not got religion and think I am going to heaven. It's just a fact. Not pushing forward making a strong way for myself or my family it is all just easier to see today. What is going on is nothing I want to be a part of. The irony here is that for those who have faith, current world events might even make that faith stronger.

People turn to religion when they are alienated from mainstream society, that has always been the case. And many people feel alienated now, but there are also now increasingly other alternatives. Though of course, the immoral and criminal elements of society will rush to fill the pews, whenever mainstream society advances and improves its moral understanding.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:457961
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.