Agnostic.com

26 12

I'm an Atheist... Soo, Should I Feel Stressed Out?

I was in training this week, and this year featured Stress Vulnerability and Stress Reduction training. This was a nice thought in & of itself, but...

The tests as presented have a definite religious bias. For example... in the category of "stressful events", a "change in religious activities" within the past 12 months rates 19 points. Divorce only rates 73. I find it hard to believe that giving up going to Mass is that stressful.

And on the survey to determine my vulnerability to stress (higher numbers are worse), I score only 1 point on the total if I always "get strength from my religious beliefs", but am penalized a full 5 if I never turn to religion. This makes no sense to me. I feel less stressed not having to abide by the dictates of a fictional, invisible person in "Heaven" and much less stressed because I don't worry about going to "Hell" after I die.

I pointed this out to our trainer, who replied that many people get comfort from their belief in God. "That's true," said I. "I suppose there are people who get comfort from believing in the Easter Bunny, too. What does that matter? Your test is telling me that because I'm an atheist and don't have any religious beliefs to 'get strength from', I'm automatically more stressed. That measurement doesn't belong on the quiz. It's not objective." And his reply was... to change the subject.

Not only am I not more stressed because I'm an atheist, I also find that I enjoy confounding religious people who don't know how to defend their assumptions. This quiz and the people who wrote it simply assume that religion reduces stress; that it's a needed thing. But they're wrong. And the entertainment involved in bursting their balloons is as good for reducing stress as anything...

Paul4747 8 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments (26 - 26)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

More power to you for finding pleasure in confounding arrogance. I agree, these surveys fall into religious-centric bullshit. At 53, I feel a certain 'at peace' with the Universe/my place in the Universe and to me, this is akin to what the religious feel in their belief in God. And I think, in time, my views will also be accepted.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:46182
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.