Agnostic.com

112 16

Proof of no god?

I consider atheism to be a religion just as christianity because it states unequivocably that there is no god, just as christianity insists there is a god. I would like to know the scientific proof that there is no god; otherwise, I remain a skeptic and an agnostic waiting for proof one way or the other.

Swingdancer 4 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

112 comments (101 - 112)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What is your proof that the universe exists outside of your own consciousness?

Well to start with if solipsism is true, then why am I me and not the god of this universe, why would I dream up a world where people are telling me I should worship something else.
But on a less flippant note, the existences of other languages would seem to indicate that I am not the only thing in existence, since I don't understand them and they don't understand me without a third party interpreter.
Likewise I can remember not knowing things, but can also recall other people knowing them before I did, this at least indicates these concepts did not come from me, but from sources outside of me.

I don't but youre welcome to believe whatever you want its a free country!

I'm an agnostic atheist. Sounds like you are too

By seeking 'points and authorities' in an effort to prove or disprove something that can be neither, we devaluate ourselves as thinking, reasoning creatures. I agree that there isn't much difference between faith and faith in non-faith, functionally. Grasping at either theological or scientific rooted answers as though they're the only eligible sources for use in deciding whether gods or like invisible entities exist, I believe to be distracting at best and limiting at worst.

Those, for example, who believe (place faith) that science validates what is good sense, in my view, overlook which came first. I think it is sense that validates good science. Personal disbelief is firmly rooted in reasoning. Human reasoning occurs beyond the limitations of theology and science. We are validated by our very existence at the top of known inhabitants of this planet and, albeit underdemonstrated, best examples of evolving reasoning capacity. Without us, as a kind, abstracts like religion or science wouldn't exist.

Theologies, particularly male dominated ones, imposed many destructive, substitutional sets of answers about hows and whys of life little understood at the dawn of our existence. Gods of the gaps they've been accurately called. The Renaissance revolution ushering in more independence of thought and rationality also gave us more rapidly evolving science, dramatically raising the bar on religion's archaic explanations of reality. Scientific faith though better placed, functionally repeats some errors related to theology. By sometimes abdicating our special reasoning faculties in blind acceptance of 'data' interpreted by alleged 'experts', we make them into substitutes for theological patriarchs recieving and providing expert interpretations of 'data from above'.

The human brain exists for the purpose of making sense out of the environment. My favorite scientist 'believed' - "In the act of thought, life contemplates it's own essence."

First, atheism is simply a belief, no more or less. Don't complicate it. Second, I posted this earlier but I wonder if it may have had a hand in the formation of "gods" It is a naturally occuring hallucinogenic drug that is found in the human body.

"[businessinsider.com];

That's most interesting. States of altered consciousness have also been noted in people experiencing complex-partial epileptic seizures. This neurological disorder's particular symptoms have led past generations to speculate that spiritual experiences such as those connected to St Thérese of Lisoux were the result of complex-partial epileptic seizurse: [en.wikipedia.org]

Having read the article you linked here I think it is more plausible to suggest DMT was involved.

No! not a belief! read the articles above, I get a bit crabbit when people tell/ describe to me what I am, and what I am thinking - don't you ?

So please don't tell me again that atheism is a belief and for me not to complicate it - Its you thats complicating it -

Atheism is meaningless

The fact that I don't believe in a god is meaningless in my life - no god !fine get on and live my life no more to be said no invisible pink unicorn no flying spaghetti monster a void. What twist in YOU wants to tell ME that I have a belief in something that is of no account to me -

No its you that has the belief that atheism is a belief not me and yes I am fine with you having it but don't lay it on me!

@jacpod So since the word atheism actually means "a belief that there is no god;" You're saying you don't have that belief?

@Angelface However, an agnostic neither believes nor disbelieves in a god or religious doctrine. Agnostics assert that it's impossible for human beings to know anything about how the universe was created and if divine beings exist. Agnosticism was coined by biologist T.H. ... Theists believe in the existence of a god or gods.

As I said before I don't play word games try someone else!

@Angelface boy am I getting tired of explaining this, atheism does not mean the belief that there is no God, it means lacking the belief that there ARE gods, a subtle difference but an important one.

@LenHazell53 a·the·ism
ˈāTHēˌizəm/Submit
noun
disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.
synonyms: nonbelief, disbelief, unbelief, irreligion, skepticism, doubt, agnosticism; nihilism
"atheism was not freely discussed in his community"

@Angelface
Atheism
A: Greek without
Theism: Greek from Theo god and
Greek ismos: ideology or belief

Therefore

Atheism "without belief in god"

That is all it means, as I have already said, not believing in something is not the same thing as believing something else.

@Angelface Oh by the way, when you cut and paste things make sure you got the whole sentence, you left the Huxley off the phrase " Agnosticism was coined by biologist T.H." when you cut it from Dictionary dot com.

@LenHazell53 I'm sorry, I upset you by not including more than the pertinent parts. I've always had this habit of explaining and or linking to something if it isn't my own thought or thoughts. I'll try to c/p the entire article next time.

Having been an atheist all my life, dispite the efforts of my family, and haveing hundreds of friends who are atheists, many of whom are fairly prominent, none of use unequivocably say that there is no god, not one person that I know does. Besides, religon has dogma and what would be the dogma of there being no god? I accept there is no god the same way I accept that there is no Santa Clause and that there is no big foot, though. of course there is far more evidence for big foot that there is a for a god.
No, atheism is not a religion, you must learn what a religion is and then try to understand how not beleiveing something can not be a religion. It can act like a religion by utilizing the same kind of community building stratagies as religion but that's as far as it goes. And of course finding reasons to get together do not make a religion otherwise football is a religion, though football does require faith so there is a much closer pracitice of religion in football than there will ever be in atheism.
Can not prove something does not exist, it is only the lack of any ability to prove there is a god that makes me an atheist, a god can still be an unknown, god is an unknown, but becuase I see no reason to think there is a god THAT alone makes me an atheist.

I like to use the terminology of I am a philosophical agnostic and practical atheist.

Do I need to have proof?

Atheism is not a religion. It doesn't have doctrine, it doesn't require faith, there is no guidebook. Its a specific position on a single issue. Also it's not a positive claim so there is no burden of proof.

Atheism is simply the position that you haven't been convinced by the available evidence that there is a god/gods. Its not a claim that there are absolutely definitively no gods. Some atheists will claim that there is absolutely no god but that shifts the burden of proof on them.

Also people use agnostic incorrectly. Gnostic comes from the Greek word gnosis which means knowledge. Gnosticism is a claim to knowledge and truth where atheism is a claim to belief. "I am not convinced by the available evidence there is a god therefore I don't believe in a God" -atheism, "I don't think ultimate knowledge, or divine things are knowable" -agnosticism.

You’re a woman after my own heart. I agree wholeheartedly. Agnosticism is the perfect response.

How would you prove the non-existence of something? You'd have to be everywhere and capable of perceiving all of existence. Lol

Rather, I tend to look at it like the larger the claim, the greater the proof or evidence required. However, since nearly everything is taken on FAITH, not objective, testable evidence, there is no proof. Faith is the antithesis of knowledge, it is the blind acceptance of information for which there is no proof.

By definition, religion and other things are supernatural, or beyond the natural/testable/knowable/objective. If there were evidence, it wouldn't be supernatural.

MrHIT Level 5 Mar 30, 2018

There certainly is evidence maybe not so much proof

What?

Evidence??? of god .. please tell ?

@Nickbeee that there isn't a God, the question is "proof of NO God?"

@JoelLovell NO god does not have to be proven. Nobody is claiming that there is no possibility a god exists. The fact is, there is zero evidence one ever did. If you claim one does, it's up to you to convince me through evidence. Do you have any?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:46439
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.