Agnostic.com

11 1

Does learning about nature, plants and animals and their lives, seem spiritual to you?

Desertology 4 Nov 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree with a few of the previous comments. The definition of spiritual and how that word is used is so loaded that I avoid it. Learning can be a great experience. A particular fact or experience can cause one to feel awe and/or amazement. Some people may describe that as spiritual and it might be to them, not so much to me.

Sam Harris book "Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion" covers this nicely I think.

As an atheist I feel more of a connection to nature (all life forms with whom we share this planet) than I did as a believer. I also feel a stronger connection to the universe when I gaze into the night sky; but, I would not call it "spiritual" as that attaches a supernatural connotation. It is the natural that amazes me; and the more science I learn, the more amazed I am and the more connected I feel.

Learning about ? No. I find it both enlightening and inspiring.

What borders on spiritual for me, is mingling closely with animals and plants, and wandering in Nature, appreciating it's intricacies !

its science and logic. the spirituality of it depends on the context in which u study it and what u do with the info and what ur goals regarding it all is.

Going outdoors and spending time w nature I find cleansing in a way. I don't know if its "god" but it helps me when the world is too much

No. It’s seems wise It’s only wise to learn about the environment you live in.

I don't know what spiritual means. Still, learning about nature is satisfying.

The more I learn the more awe inspired I am as well as feeling a connection with the universe with my being made of star dust and also with life on Earth with our common ancestry. I think spiritual describes the feeling well but the term is so loaded with the supernatural that I avoid using it so not to give the false impression I also believe in the supernatural.

Spiritual in the sense that every living thing gives off energy. If you ponder the interconnectedness of everything, how all movements affect something else and all of these energies are in constant flux. Spiritual would be a good way to describe it if I lived 'back in the days'.

I can look at the night sky, visit a park, and to a lesser extent watch a well produced nature doc and feel in awe of the universe, but I wouldn't call it feeling spiritual.

Yes, especially since I'm a pantheist. I see God in nature and everything thats created.I think that we can learn a lot from animals, plants, etc. Shamans of the Amazon already know this. You can argue that they are a primitive tribe but for the most part, from what I've read, they live in peace and harmony with nature. I think that within all of us there is a need for a higher intelligence. Weve definitely lost our way , the more "civilized" we get.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4648
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.