Agnostic.com

13 6

How should I start?

I'm a little depressed. I love chatting and would even try to chat more using our Messenger tool. I've messaged a few folks. But there are some I think I'd like to chat with but just can't get started doing it.
Some dating sites allow you to send a "hug" or some sort of indicator that you might be interested. If the person ignoes you, you can ignore them back and it's easier to forget about.
Without that, I am sometimes afraid to try to messenge someone.
I feel I need more interaction and less Netflix. I just can;t seem to get started.

Any suggestions?

MrLizard 8 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Be yourself
Look at me i am a shy person but love life and happiness
if you don't ask you don't you would not know.
i tried dating sites like someone's profile- she replied no thank you and i wish her back all the best

Rosh Level 7 Mar 31, 2018

Hi MrLizard. Welcome. I know what you mean. Plus, most of the time I forget this is a dating site. I welcome messages from everyone male or female. If anyone wants to talk or are interested romantically all they have to do is let their intentions be known. Thanks for your post I think that this could be a help to a few of us here. ❤️??

Yeah, I’ve started several conversations with different people but I’m pretty much blown off or feel that way. I must be not appealing or I just go after smart discerning women. Either way I am to sensitive and quit too easy. ?

at the beginning

You got nothing to lose, there human just like you.

Pick someone that looks interesting, message me their name, and I will message them what a great guy you are....I can be your agnostic-wingman

Just do it, nothing to lose. What is the worst thing that can happen? What is the best? Weigh them up against the few minutes it takes to make contact.

I agree, all they can do is say no. They may say it rudely, but don't take it personal. I was on one of those dating sites about 4 years ago, and clicked on the "interested" icon. The guy did send me a message--but it said "not going to happen". 🙂 No big deal.

@marga wow, that is so rude, but hey, shows he has no taste.

@Rugglesby Awww, thanks. ?

I actually think that's a great idea. I might want to talk to someone in a plutonic way and there might be someone else I might want to talk to in a romantic way and a hug emoji would be a great way of communicating your interest to that person without that awkward statement.

Plutonic - interested in planets are you?

@GoldenDoll One of my favorite subjects

I have the same problem you do when it comes to starting a conversation. I'm only here for community, which was pretty small when I joined, but I've experienced the same thing in other situations.

JimG Level 8 Mar 30, 2018

You can always message someone just for conversation.

Why need or use a "smiley". Sending a "Hi!" works the same and just as well. If they respond, good, if not, move on.

whether its a kind of site neutral hug or a short message to express interest in interacting more I think the risk of rejection or feelings related to that would be the same.It is intimidating to stick yourself out there. SO much less external context available in cyberspace.Its a risky business.I have been sticking to the public exchanges for the most part.
I think if you would feel ok sending a virtual hug you could convince yourself to send a hello and steel yourself for what ever may come.You just to have to take that step

I think Admin said the (group) chat feature would be active in just a few weeks.

I think that will be a wonderful way to connect with people who will get to know you better from real time conversation.

Hope that helps.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:46623
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.