Agnostic.com

33 6

Estranged family?

Does anyone else deal with having an estranged family? I struggle with this every day. My mom insists that I should be a part of the family. But I get my good energy and positive vibes from my best friends that I have surrounded myself with. My family just brings me down. Anyone else have this issue?

Labicicleta 4 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes. The less contact I have with my family, the better off I am. You don't need to struggle with it or allow your mother to manipulate you. Do what you need to do for you.

Everyone has an estranged families in thier own right
See control comes in to play again is indoctrine in us to control others

Rosh Level 7 Mar 31, 2018

Some of my family are estrange, some estupid, and some estoo far away to deal with.

Both my sister and I kind of dread family get to gethers. At least we both have one sibling whom we cn relate to.

Being gay though, I have met many who have "chosen fmilies" rather than relying on their biological families. Blood may be thicker in water, but I think people can drown much faster if enersed in blood.

We have one brother who lives in Kansas (he actually likes it there, because they are his kind of people), who my sister and I see as beign a person who only brings problems into the family. I hve never goent o visit him, because I would nto enjoy his company, as he is a far right wing conservative, Mormon, hypocrite and racist and not too terribly bright.

Sometimes it is better to just let come bllod relations drift away for your own peace of mind. My measure for friends and family is simple. I ask does this person bring more happiness and good into myu life than misery and unhappiness? If they weigh heavier on the side of misery and huhappiness, if a "friend" I cut htem off, and if family i let them drift away.

I left home at fifteen as my family were so awful to me I never regretted it but never let my children see tehm on their own as my mother was trying to get her taken away friom me.

Thank you, Labicicleta. I'm here if you need ME.

Most of my family are independent introverts. I love them all, but I too get my energy drained when I am around them.

Is there guilt involved? My mother will try guilting me into talking to family members.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:46715
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.