Agnostic.com

15 2

Do Americans smile too much?

Do you see smiling at strangers to be welcoming and friendly?
Or, is it dishonest and about maintaining an image?

I've heard foreigners describe us (Americans) as smiling too much. What do you think? Good or bad?

• 15 votes
  • 22 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 7 votes
silvereyes 8 Nov 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

i don't know

I've heard that Americans are too loud. And I know this to be true. When I lived in Germany if I heard an American speaking (which was not difficult) I quickly left with my head down. Often times they presented the public with the attitude that they were there because they deserved to be (rulers of the world so to speak).

Smiling doesn't bother me, but I'm from the south where eye contact and smiles are a daily ritual.

I like to smile. Not brain-dead automatic stuff, but genuine "I recognize your presence" kind of smiles. Smiles are the grease in the interactions of humans. Makes moving among others a more pleasant activity.

So, to other countries with differing customs, maybe we do smile too much. Eh. Smile anyway !

i am 73 i smile when i feel good and like what is in my life to be happy

i smile when i feel good but i am 73 depressed and in a lot of pain

I always smile, always have always will. I am pride myself in being doxastically open to change but this is one of the few things I am very confident is a good thing for society and myself.

To be honest, I get uncomfortable with random people smiling at me on the street. I feel like they're either a bit crazy or are privately judging me and are trying too hard to hide it.

@silvereyes Exactly why I'm not overly enthusiastic about visiting the USA. In many ways, life in the UK has trained me to be quiet and reserved unless I'm actively trying to make an acquaintance or responding to a similar attempt.

@silvereyes I'll keep that in mind. Perhaps I'll just stick around the less friendly places so I feel more at home.

Truthfully, I don’t know. Not something I think I’ve paid much attention to.

You can never smile too much, in my opinion, unless you’re afraid of wrinkles, haha, but it’s totally worth it. A smile, whether given or received, is always a ray of sunshine brightening up your moment/day. I don’t smile at every stranger on a busy street obviously, but in general I like to smile and believe “smile and the world smiles back 🙂

I’ve been exposed to many different cultures and although I value diversity I gravitate towards cultures that embrace and encourage smiles 🙂

I have noticed whenever I travel at least 100 miles from where I live in Long Island N.Y.the people smile more that in metropolitan NY ,so I would say they definitely do not smile enough in NY. City. I agree with any one that says New Yorkers are unfriendly .Even though I am one I always smile when I have an interaction with someone here

Obviously there are cultural differences. While foreigners consider it off-putting, Americans find it reassuring. Sometimes you need to fake it for others; sometimes for yourself.

Marz Level 7 Nov 22, 2017

I'm not a smiley person in general, but I do it sometimes for the sake of social convention (to not come across as rude or aloof).

Me neither - like my picture (not very good for meeting women, though).
I noticed you are not smiling but still have a friendly face - maybe it's the beard.

Thanks, @JackPedigo! I've been told that a shaved head and big beard can be intimidating, but also that it doesn't come across that way with me (although I don't mind being a little intimidating — ha!). I looked at your profile pics and don't think there's anything that would send women running; there's a subtle humor in your expression that seems rather approachable and friendly.

Unfortunately, it's not just the looks or even smile; body language also counts. Here's one proof. [yahoo.com]

But you have one of those inviting smirks on your face.

Smiling is good. Its kind of like the ice breaker in knowing if its ok to ask a question or moving just a little closer, but not intentionaly invading someones personal space. Ive been around to a few countries an i remembered that people smile a lot. You can look at it from a lot of different angles. It can be the cat in Alice and Wonderland. Smiling is an art. Look at Mona Lisa. The art of hiding the teeth during a smile. Smiling can appear to be yes and sometimes it can be a definite no. Sometimes we do it out of fear or being nervous. Sometimes it don't mean a thing. I use to do it when i wanted to get even with someone or give out a bad job to someone that pissed me off. That was my younger days. Yes, i guess we do smile a lot. The question to me is, what does it mean?

Smiling can be a cutesy but it can also be used to con. I know the Germans are seen as unfriendly but they believe in being true. When one achieves a level of friendship one goes through a "Du" ceremony (which naturally includes beer). Du is an informal way of addressing another. They definitely feel Americans are a bit phony with their aboveboard friendliness.

I can't stand insincere or sinister smiling like politicians and celebrities do. More genuine smiles would be welcome, they can act like a virus, one smile can make a thousand other smiles. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4676
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.