Agnostic.com

16 21

LINK As coronavirus spreads, the futility of religion becomes obvious | Andrew Seidel

On NPR this morning they were advising people NOT to attend religious services, to help avoid getting infected.

snytiger6 9 Mar 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do not subscribe to the assumption in the title phrase. Churches may come to rely on science in their response to the virus, but, I expect, will return to "Business as usual," afterwards, thanking their god that it was not worse. They will find some isolated case of a 90 something who had the disease, but survived, and call it a fucking miracle.
To the churches, this is all a game of money and power. Even if the idiot papers at the checkout are right, and the Pope has, it, even if he dies due to it, they will spin it, like Michael Jackson's death, "God needed him more than we did." "Needed him," for what, is it heaven because people can act out their pedophilia with no consequences?

Such a GREAT show of Faith and Trust in their Omnipotent God when even " Il Papa" ( the Pope) starts hiding behind closed doors even before Italy is put into nation-wide lock-down over the Covid19 virus becomes a Pandemic claiming he ONLY has a head-cold.
I lay even money bets that the Nuns and Altar Boys are rejoicing these days since they are finally getting a welcome break from the insatiable Catholic Priests at last.

the religious should be embracing this strife . Surely it's just another sign of the end times. There should be religious rallies, dancing in the street for they will be going home...........and a little contagious virus will help them on their way.

I'm sure it's going to spread much faster at the supermarkets where everyone is gathering.

I'm surprised they haven't started putting in holy H2O2 instead of H2O, especially when liberally laced with CH3-CH2-OH

I'll drink to that.

@anglophone .... but only the latter substance, I hope. Otherwise your teeth may become unnaturally white!

@Petter Funny you should say that. I once accidentally burned myself with a weak solution of H2O2.

@anglophone I used to distil it, in vacuum, to create a highly concentrated (and dangerous) liquid fuel for home made rocket engines. I speeded up the reaction (with concentrated ammonia) by the presence of a steel wool catalyst.
What makes you think I had a mis-spent early youth?

Very few religious groups reject medical treatment.

For many, religious faith helps them accept the temporary nature of our frail bodies. During a pandemic is when they need their religion.

Deeply religious people are not very concerned with the fate of individual bodies.

Patheos is a sorry excuse for a news outlet.

If there is any poetic justice, maybe this asshole Shuttlesworth will get infected....

Maybe God, as in the days of Noah and the flood, is using the pandemic to thin the herd and maybe save the planet from climate change? Just a thought....

God doesn't exist

@TomParos My point is suggesting a thought for how to see this pandemic for those who do believe in God. Jus' sayin'- chill out man..

People shouldn't be attending them any way. Unless you enjoy being coned.

Let them be, promote massive services where all can go, and kiss each other, they all know their god of choice will protect them from the evil virus. I say be fruitful and multiply in these gatherings. COVID-19 is a hoax. Bwwwwaaaaahahaha! Go in da name of da lawrd!!! Praise Jeeeez-ooze!

I guess online church? Since god won't protect them. If they believed god would, theyd still hold their mega church services.

SCal Level 7 Mar 13, 2020

But...but..they can pray it away!

Look how well prayers have worked against gun violence 😉

Talk about pro-active. The Unitarian church in Des Moines has cancelled all activities, including services, even tho the total confirmed cases in my state are about a dozen, all in the other side of the state, and there are no confirmed cases in my local area. Looks like they are going to livestreamed online services..

The Unitarian church in Des Moines has cancelled all activities...forever? 😄

@Merseyman1 Indefinitely.

Yet they still believe or say that god sent the virus to punish _____.
Fill in the blank

My choice is THEM 😉

the sinners and those who don't believe in their church!

But they won't see it

bobwjr Level 10 Mar 13, 2020

I'll bet a lot of those Teavangelicals don't comply. They need that herd to support their herd mentality.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:470084
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.