Agnostic.com

29 1

Which makes better art?

Do better works of art come from more negative feelings, or from more positive feelings? Example... Are breakup songs better than love songs? Are angry poems better than love sonnets?

Though I always try to remain positive, I feel like the better works of art come from a negative or darker origin.

jamessmithwick 6 Mar 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments (26 - 29)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Depends on the artist. I don't think this has to do with negative or positive feelings, but rather the intensity of feeling invested in the work that makes the difference. "Clarity is not one of the properties of emotion" Titcherner.
The Aesthetic effect moves in two directions at the same time:

cava Level 7 Mar 31, 2018

I would say it comes from stronger emotions. Mainstream art (especially music) frequently commercializes positive emotions, making for weak art, but negative emotions aren't immune from it. See Five Finger Death Punch.

I think a good proportion of them do too. Also on shows like The Voice and American Idol talent comes from performers from the toughest backgrounds, those who have experience pain and loss and struggled to reach existence. Songwriters as well.

This would depend upon which emotions stimulate creativity in an individual, as well as which appeal to the one appreciating the art. For me, it just depends upon the mood I'm in at the time I'm viewing or creating.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 31, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:47192
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.