Agnostic.com

5 11

Today's steep hike: scared and fighting panic.

Two weeks ago, Karen and I hiked Tibbits Mountain, using the trail like sane people. Today we headed for Devil's Gulch, but were turned back by too much snow on the road. The other women wanted to hike nearby Tibbits Mountain instead. We agreed.

"Let's climb up to that peak," Karen suggested near the start of the trail. "We can come down on the trail." We five women stood looking up, assessing the steepness.

"I can climb a mile up anything," I said. "Then another mile, and another..." We laughed.

"Don't look down," Karen told me. Up we went without a trail, gaining over 1,000 feet in elevation per mile. Another peak reared up. It got steeper as we climbed. When we got to the top of the third hill, I was done ascending.

"Lunchtime," I announced. "Karen, I have no burning urge to bag the peak like you do." We found a place to eat out of the wind.

My feet were painfully spasming from the arduous climb. I had no drinking cup. So, I poured Emergen-C powder into my palm, licked it off and washed it down with water, using the bite-valve on my Camelbak water bag. The feet spasms quickly stopped.

Tense and Scared Descending

Descending was dangerous. We traversed across extremely steep hillsides, dropping downhill with each dicey step. With loose boot laces, my feet slid around inside the boots.

I felt tense and scared, fighting panic. I hate steep drop-offs. Give me a trail, please. None of this dangerous, off-trail nonsense. I was slower than everyone else.

"Are you okay?" Lisa asked. "I'm not having fun," I replied. "This is scary for me."

Five times where it was too steep to walk, I sat down and slid on my butt on dirt, rocks and snow. "Whee!" I yelled gleefully, shooting downhill fast. Much easier than walking.

"Instead of stepping gingerly, stomp your boots into the dirt," Lisa advised. Because I'm lightweight, I tend to slip and slide on steep terrain.

With an unerring sense of direction, Karen eventually led us down to the trail. It was a relief. I sat down and tightened my boot laces. The trail was steep, too.

Karen found a swallowtail butterfly struggling in the cold, muddy trail. She rescued it and set it on a tree out of the wind.

By the end, we hiked six miles with over 4,000 feet of elevation gain.

What I Learned

1. Tighten boot laces before descending.
  2. Even if I'm scared, I can do it.
  3. There's no shame in glissading if it's too steep to walk.

"Kathleen, you did it!" Karen said, "even though you were scared. I feel proud of you."

"Let's do it again soon," she when we got to the car. "With practice, you will get used to it. It will become no big deal."

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was surprised to read that you had loose laces. I'm no expert, but I can't proceed with loose laces. I have to stop immediately to fix them.

@BitFlipper

The laces came undone on the steep, dangerous, off-trail descent. I didn't stop to tighten them for three reasons:

1. I was rushing to keep up, to keep the other women in sight, to know which way to go.

2. It was too steep to sit down anywhere.

3. I was wearing gaiters. You have to take off both gaiters to reach the boot laces.

Couldn't fix it until I reached the trail.

@LiterateHiker I'm not sure I would hike with them again.
You are supposed to be very aware if anyone in the group is having trouble and not allow someone to get separated.

@BufftonBeotch

At 66, it is extremely difficult to find fit women who are still able to hike. Many older men and women have joint replacements: hips, knees, etc.

We love climbing steep trails for spectacular views. "Don't slog in the bog. Get high on the ridges!" has been my motto since age 21.

Since 2014, I have hiked with this group. It is not safe to hike alone. Women drop out and new hikers join. The group fluctuates between three to eight hikers.

I DO set limits when I feel unsafe. Two years ago on snowshoes, Karen led me higher and higher near Mission Ridge Ski Area in deep snow. It got steeper and steeper. "How will I get down?" I thought with each step.

Her plan was to cross to Midway at Mission Ridge Ski Area and descend on ski runs. But Mission Ridge was closed due to ice. No dogs are allowed in the ski area in winter. Karen brought her dog Bonnie.

It was a warm, sunny day. A large, hanging snow cornice loomed above us, ready to slide. I pointed it out. "It won't avalanche today," Karen said. How did she know?

I insisted on turning around. It wasn't safe. Although Karen was disappointed, she agreed to turn back.

@BufftonBeotch

"Where are you?!" I hollered to the women when they got out of sight. They stopped and waited. After that, Dawn stayed with me.

As the leader, Karen halted at turns so we could all see which way to go.

I’m glad you’re ok.
Glissade is a good french word for sliding, or a run of musical ilnoties up or down the scale. It’s a cool word to know.

I learned a fancy word for "sliding downhill on my ass". (Sorry- "butt" )

Quite the adventure for sure, you are a very brave lady for hanging in there ,but the views were probably worth it ,Keep safe

@RoyMillar

Thank you. I appreciate you.

Thank you for your kind words

Great story. I do not like heights. Years ago my brother and I went on a hike in Yosemite. We started on a trail head on highway 120. We hiked to El Capitan. As I was clinging to the rocks my brother went to the edge and sat down with his feet dangling over the edge. From there we hiked to Yosemite Falls, again I was clinging to the rocks while we were at the railing at the top of the falls. We decended into Yosemite valley on a trail of a lot of switchbacks.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:471950
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.