Agnostic.com

17 10

POLL The Four Horseman - Hitchens, Dawkins, Dennet, Harris [2007] - YouTube

On condition that you can only pick one, if it were possible to have a sit-down conversation, who would you choose: Dawkins, Dennett, Harris, or Hitchens?

• 11 votes
  • 6 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 20 votes
Andy_Lynch 4 Mar 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hitchens of course but not to chat. He could be a sexist bastard but sexy as all hell...................well, not so much at the end!

The votes are in Ladies and Gentlemen! In terms of whom you would like to sit down with if you could. In 4th place, the well-respected philosopher and neuroscientist, Sam Harris. Just ahead of him in 3rd position, the highly intellectual philosopher and cognitive scientist, Daniel Dennett. In 2nd place, one of the most celebrated and renowned evolutionary biologists of our time, Richard Dawkins. And as decided by you, in 1st place with nearly 50% of the votes, the brilliantly articulated journalist and fierce religious critic, the late and great Christopher Hitchens!
[www].youtube.com/watch?v=nVgc0uhc7no

They are equal in their ways of contribution. I have listened to hundreds of hours of each.

I want to meet Professor Richard Dawkins.

I have 100 science and religious questions to ask him. Good choice, mine too.

I have 100 science and religious questions to ask him. Good choice, mine too.

@Grecio He would be very nice to answer them all, I'm sure..

Huge thanks all to those who’ve commented and voted. The response so far has been great! I’ve decided to let the poll run for a week to give those who haven’t voted yet a chance to do so. Thereafter I will be revealing your favourite horseman, and it may not be who you’d expect, or then again it just might be. Either way, make sure to get in and cast your vote! And feel free to like or post a comment.

Dennett because he's thoughtful. Dawkins would be next- he, too, is thoughtful, but he's been carrying the standard so long he could be edgy, with good reason. Now that I've experienced the video again, I have to point out the civility of all, but especially the diplomacy of Dawkins. He chooses when to speak, leaving the others more opportunities. What a bunch- thanks for bringing this back for us.

Did choose the Hitchmiester but I hesitated as it could well be Dawky

George Carlin

One of Sam's best summaries:
[www].youtube.com/watch?v=vSdGr4K4qLg

The full "debate." Craig is a great example of intlelligence without reasonable focus.
[www].youtube.com/watch?v=yqaHXKLRKzg

As a person who is almost certain there is no god I find Hedges to be miles ahead of Harris in this one.

Well put. Sometimes a little diplomatic indignation and ridicule is necessary to wake up a shackled mind. I appreciate
that others may feel differently about Harris’ approach.

@teslanesta Glad you posted this. I could probably listen 3 more times & still not fully grasp the brilliance of each.

I chose Dennett because of his way of thinking. I do not as some do find Dawkins as harsh but I do find Harris a little to deep for my taste. Hitchens would have been fun to sit at the bar with.

BillF Level 7 Mar 31, 2018

Harris is as about as deep as a kiddie pool in the backyard. His demeanor makes him seem very intellectual but if you separate the persona from the message, it doesn't strike me as highly intellectual.

What a great session. Though Dennett didn’t shine as much as he usually does in his recorded lectures.

You should have put a "none of the above" choice.

marga Level 7 Mar 31, 2018

I've hung out with Dawkins a couple of times.. a little too reserved for me. But I know, he has that reputation to uphold, and it's not like we were old friends or anything. But the Hitch and I could have sat down with a bottle of JW Black after a brief introduction and have a great time I'm sure..

Seen all of Hitchen's debates

Rock1 Level 4 Mar 31, 2018

That's a tough one. I voted Dennett because I have a lot of respect for the thoughtfulness with which he approaches issues. However, they would all be fun to chat with. Listed in order, it would be:

Dennett
Hitchens
Dawkins
Harris

I would also love to have a session with several others.

None of the above.

if they are as nasty as Dawkins I am with you

Agreed I am not a Dawkins fan. I don’t agree with mainstream atheist thought leadership on how they engage non-agnostics. It doesn’t help on bringing us together or to bridge divides.

there are a bunch of new young atheist YouTubers who are using a different approach toward religious/atheist dialogue. eg Rationality Rules, Cosmic skeptic, Genetically Modified Skeptic. I think the 'in your face' tactics of Dawkins and Hitchens was much needed to get the message out there but now that it is, the religious may be more likely to listen to reasoned debate with their own church leaders. No hostility required.

I can’t pick. Any choice would be fine.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:47307
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.