Agnostic.com

51 4

Should an atheist study world religions or not?

Hi,

I'm measuring the community's sentiment about comparative religion studies.

World religions include all the world's religions (e.g. Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, Buddhism, Jainism , Hinduism, Sikhism, Taoism, Confucianism, etc) and spiritual practices (e.g. Native American, African, Australian Aboriginal, etc).
I also include Atheism and Agnosticism under world religions, even though they aren't religions.

• 63 votes
  • 6 votes
RunnerMiler424 4 Nov 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

51 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't think this is a "should, question, DO it if you are interested, if not do t.

Hi,

Thanks for your input. Given what you said, do you consider world religions of interest to yourself or not?

I believe it is important to know the "opposition" as well as you know your own beliefs, whether or not you are a-theist.As they say on TV - The more you know...

Why not?

My answer is NO. When you have seen and heard enough ugliness in one and start seeing similarities with others, it is best to stop right there and save yourself agony, disappointment and seek a better, happy life free from religion. Period. I grew up in India and very familiar with the teachings of Hinduism, Sikhism, Islam, Parsi, Jainism, and Buddhism. I saw it up close. Trust me. There is nothing that is worth seeking. Spend your time and energy on Humanity an do yourself and your future generations a favor. Keep them away from religion. That would be the best thing you will have ever done for them and for humanity.

An atheist who is interested in world religions should study world religions. an atheist who is interested in ethnomusicology should study ethnomusicology. there is no reason why an atheist couldn't or shouldn't study what interests him or her. learning is cool.

g

Of course, along with sociology, and if you can fit it in, history, philosophy, literature from all cultures, and anthropology. This will give you a foundation of who we are and why we are. There are actually core texts from these disciplines so it is not as daunting as it seems.

Absolutely! Religion is a great thing, BELIEF is another...

If he wants to.

If it interests the atheist, yes.

I agree that there should be a poll answer for "If ya wanna."

I am glad I studied World Religions in college, as it did influence the path that led me to atheism. But I also learned some respect. Mankind couldn't explain why lightning struck, so a deity was created to explain the unknowable. Religion followed shortly thereafter as a means to control those masses. We can't always explain why we make choices (there is a lot we CAN explain, of course) but we don't know what is in another's mind that drives them to follow a set of rules aka religion. Comfort in ritual, on one hand, and easily cowed by threats on the other?

I find religion and the associated texts fascinating for the historical value as well as their place in literature. The stories are allegorical in nature, designed to teach morals. If only it had stopped there.

Depending on your age and/or place in the world, you might want to study up just for the fact that it's interesting to see where the stories come from - like creation myths, for example. But open-mindedness is key, rather than using what you learn as a blunt instrument against others with different mindsets and paths.

I think that it is important for us to be knowledgeable about our world, which includes different philosophies and religions. It doesn't mean that we have to believe the different religions, just be aware of what they say.

If you got to agnostic or atheist without some research is just believing what you are told and that sounds like a believer in god to me!!

Who am I to dictate what others should do ? I believe to study world religions could lead the reader to suddenly realise that they cannot all be correct, so it would be great to realise that none of them are......a good outcome.

I find that when you disbelieve and you stop studying and understanding faith-based systems, (religion, creationism, young earth, climate deniers,...) that when you are confronted with a "booked-up" believer you have more difficulty dealing with their arguments. When we discard faith-based systems and forget their premises our reasons for not believing become dulled. Also, (dare I say) that like many myths, some show moral values and are interesting stories. I do understand that some might suggest the possibility that this is a slippery slope back to belief and are not necessary for sound moral/ethical living.

Why not?

I became an atheist while taking a religion class in college taught by a protestant minister. We read the book "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn and it turned my world view upside down. I've always loved studying religion and it helps a lot in an argument if you know more about a zealot's religion than they do.

I don't accept should's and ought's in my life if I ever in the future, feel like persuing a study in world religions I will, but my being an atheist doesn't mean to me that I have to prove anything to myself or others by having facts and figures all sorted out - I don't intend to get into any intellectual arguments about god or no god. I just don't have a god.

We should be free to study anything we want, any time, any where, any place. Why not religions? They are a fascinating part of humanity and what drives many to insanity.

Never a truer word spoken Brigitta, My brother came under the spell of religious enlightenment, he overdid it with lots of study, and greatly influenced by elders of a Brethren
sect, was baptised and became a preacher. He eventually committed suicide, a sorry end to walking the wrong path. I do miss him. It was my stupid mother who created this disaster.

An atheist, or anyone else, should always study whatever they please. I have a real problem with being told what I "should", or "should not" do. Knowledge is power. Learn as much as you can, if you're interested.

Yes! That’s how you gain your critical thinking skills and being able to debate. Also when having more knowledge about many religions, it will be harder for someone to lie to you and brainwash you into thinking how they think. You’ll have the upper hand over them so they won’t be able to control and manipulate you. THEY WANT TO MOLEST YOUR BRAIN I TELL YOU! RUN!!!

I have. I enjoyed reading about it and it actually confirms so much that I believe in and don't believe in.

How else would I know the best way to offend them? 🙂

all knowledge has value, a lot I admit has little financial value. There might be better uses for your time and ultimately you have to decide how to spend it.

On a side note no time I have spent learning anything have I regretted later on as wasted.

I think "should" is the wrong word there. It's completely up to them. Is it useful? Well if you're like myself and constantly discussing or debating theism it is. However not all atheists and agnostics care to discuss the topic, so the information would likely be useless to them.

Being well informed about a major thing like religion, is good. I also think it opens eyes to know there is more out there than what people were brought up with.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4750
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.