Agnostic.com

51 4

Should an atheist study world religions or not?

Hi,

I'm measuring the community's sentiment about comparative religion studies.

World religions include all the world's religions (e.g. Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, Buddhism, Jainism , Hinduism, Sikhism, Taoism, Confucianism, etc) and spiritual practices (e.g. Native American, African, Australian Aboriginal, etc).
I also include Atheism and Agnosticism under world religions, even though they aren't religions.

• 63 votes
  • 6 votes
RunnerMiler424 4 Nov 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

51 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think that a literate, functional adult needs to know the basic beliefs that influence the behavior of religious people in one's neighborhood and around the world. You can't easily be friends with someone if you don't understand the basics of their worldview. You can't accurately assess the threat level of a potential enemy without knowing what motivates them. Religion is so deeply ingrained into culture that you really need to understand it to understand people.

I personally am fascinated by religion. I love religious history, religious art and music, religious ideas. Just because I think most religion is crap doesn't mean I can't enjoy many of the things that thousands of years of religion have brought us.

Me too!

I couldn't have said it better myself

Exactly, i was taught by a Wiccan friend that everyone should have at least a passing knowledge of The Bible since much of Western civilization is influenced by it

Knowledge is power. Studying world religions is how I became an Atheist.

Having knowledge of all religions gives you the ability to win debates and arguments.

That’s true, but it’s not about winning debates, it’s about having discussions. Ahh, who am I kidding? It’s about winning debates.

It is always useful to study all total system ideologies (religious and political) to understand what attracts people to them and to understand the flaws in them (ALL total system ideologies have serious internal flaws). That way, one can point out the flaws in the statements of true believers.

At least one. If you've emerged from a certain religion, then you'll reject all other religions for the same reasons you've rejected that one. I've never been a believer, but I've made a point of studying up on Christianity a bit to see if believers have a point.

They don't.

Of course!! Information and data is the key to meke an educated decision. ... that's exactly how I became an agnostic

One of the first things I did when I got out of religion was take a college course in World Religion. I have never regretted it but if I were to advise someone it would be to take it if you're interested. It wouldn't be at the top of my list as necessary information. An ethics class would be more beneficial.

gearl Level 8 Nov 27, 2017

I think if you to engage with theists, you need to understand where they are coming from. Sort of like the "know thy enemy" advice. That said, Anthony Magnabosco of "street epistemology" fame says that it helps not to know too much about the subject being discussed because then you ask better questions. Probably true if you are seeking knowledge instead of preaching your beliefs. I find it hard to "argue" when I don't know what I'm up against.

Education is important to help change things.

true.

If you want...or not. It's not like you will go to hell if you don't.

I find it very interesting to compare different set of beliefs and their respective historical context of emergence.

MarcO Level 5 Nov 22, 2017

If you learn about the religion you could select or reject it as a belief or moral system for yourself.

Knowledge about other peoples' beliefs and customs would help you to understand them and lessen the chances of offending them. It would help you to peacefully co-exist with religious people.

You sound like a very decent person Treasure hunter, I wish I had your qualities .I often speak and later wish I hadn't, and usually have to apologise. But it is probably too late to change now. Kindest Regards Alan

@madmac You words show you have a strong character, not always easy to apologise when you know you are wrong. Thanks for the compliment. I have my faults, too soft for my own good at times. 😉.

I am the one vote no! Compared to the current 16 votes Yes. Clearly still the contrarian even in this bunch of contrarians!! LOL! I am assuming the subject is already an atheist, so honestly why bother with learning all the theist rubbish, just keep living a wonderful secular lifestyle. For all of those who were sadly indoctrinated and brain-washed by religion, yes for us it is important to know why we don't believe in such rubbish. But if you are already a non-believer, why bother to learn a bunch of lies??

Hi,

Thanks for your vote. Although you may feel as a contrarian among contrarians, there is nothing wrong with that. Just different.

One reason you might consider religious literacy is because while you and I may live secular lifestyles, other people around us don't and believe very very different things.

The counterargument, of course, is why should I bother learning a bunch of bullshit in the first place if it is not relevant to me, which you mentioned.

So just study whatever parts -become- relevant, when that happens.

I am an adherent to the philosophy of Sun Tzu.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

For this reason, it is wise to study the enemy's ways, Grasshopper.

How else could you fight against an enemy you don't know?

Very well put, thanks for your insight.

with a brick if need be. if you've been schooled well you'll know the general premise of all of the above. To STUDY it would be a waste of our precious time

How can an agnostic / atheist possibly communicate with those that are not unless we understand their belief system, first and foremost? Great post.

Whether or not you believe in any religion, any history that does not include the movements, crusades and migrations inspired and instigated by religion will be incomplete and, thus, misleading.

Why isn't there a "If you want" option. Personal agency man, if you don't care about religion, don't look into it, if you're interested, study, simple as that. You can't learn everything, look into what you enjoy.

To Know What You Are... You Need To Know What You Are Not.

I think it is good to know about the histories and teachings about the world's religions ... just like it is good to know about geography, politics, culture. Knowledge is power.

SKH78 Level 8 Dec 19, 2017

It is very important for spiritual growth to understand what you agree with and what you don't. I say yes, study them all so you understand yourself better.

I voted yes.
I feel that if I don't know what I am up against I am not going to be able to validate my own stance on the matter.
In order to have a leg to stand upon, I feel that I am going to need to know why and be able to compare that against any evidence that someone else may present me with.
This is my own viewpoint, however, and if others feel differently, then I respect that choice also.

Donna Level 6 Dec 9, 2017

It should be mandatory curriculum for anyone pursuing a career in psychotherapy.

Provided such study interests them, of course. It doesn't interest me much, but there's no reason why atheists shouldn't study them, and probably many reasons why they should.

I do for many reasons. There are some aspects I still find beautiful and I strive for understanding of all people-what makes them who they are, for better or worse.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4750
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.