Agnostic.com

8 6

What's in the $2 trillion coronavirus stimulus bill

Direct payments to citizens

"Under the plan as it was being negotiated single Americans would receive $1,200, married couples would get $2,400, and parents would see $500 for each child under age 17.

"However, the payments would start to phase out for individuals with adjusted gross incomes of more than $75,000, and those making more than $99,000 would not qualify at all. The thresholds are doubled for couples."

[cnn.com]

Trillions in Corrupt Corporate Handouts

[huffpost.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Odd to say this, but I don't think $2T will be enough. Not because of the amount, but how it is allocated. $1200 per person....that might need this money for 3 months??? Seriously, has anyone even looked at the cost of living.

It seems individuals (citizens...people) are gonna get less than $500 bil, and this will of course go right back to the rentiers anyway.......

twill Level 7 Mar 26, 2020

And the elderly on SS get nothing.

@PondarIncbendog

Single people get $1,200. That includes the elderly.

@LiterateHiker Only if you file taxes. We don't.

@PondartIncbendog

Elderly people on Social Security file taxes, too.

As a retired person, I file my taxes every year.

@LiterateHiker If you have any other income besides SS you will have to file.
I live on SS alone. Plus my reverse mortgage. So I don't have to file.

It isn't even quiTe hammered out yet. All legislation, regardless of status, unless it actually isn't written lol, can be seen at congress.gov. it is a goos aute for dispelling rumors. It can be a day or teo behind sometimes.

g

We just got ours passed today,,have not seen the results yet,

Maybe, just maybe, at the end of all this expert(?) economists will realise they have it the wrong way round. You don't bung billions to corporations, you give state funded, state supervised work to individuals.

Well welcome to the place where the manufacturing of the homeless is in full swing. Last recession we hit forty million at one time. Of course these were not counted as that would have really messed stuff up. We get to see just how high that number can go.

$1,200 isn’t even one month’s rent for the majority of renters lucky enough to have a roof over their heads, let alone enough to cover utilities, car payment, medicine, car insurance, health insurance, credit card payments, etc. Heck, they should have lowered credit card interest rates from the average 21.21% to something akin to a small business rate of 7% to 10 %. Or any number of other ways to support low- and average-wage earners.

I am hoping that this amount is added to the unemployment we will be getting. Anyone with a business has to keep their employees and try to get help so they can exist and then get the loan forgiven. Small companies in America include Koch Industries. SO if they get a loan and then keep all their employees working they get to keep all the money. Just heard that there is a tax credit for businesses for ten grand for each employee a small company keeps on the payroll - Koch Industries is going to double their wealth. So will other large businesses that are privately held. Damn!!!

@dalefvictor ah, yes. Those Koch LLCs, a legislative gift from corporations to themselves. There aren’t enough progressive Dems in the House to fend off these provisions, thanks to the “Vote Blue No Matter Who“ crowd.

You forgot to mention the quiet bailout specifically for Boeing, who contributed to Chump's inauguration party. [washingtonpost.com]

I gained a tiny bit of respect for Nikki Haley, who quit Boeing's board over their seeking a bailout.

@Paul4747

I added:

Trillions in corrupt corporate handouts

[huffpost.com]

@LiterateHiker We have to make the rich richer, they are the only ones that are important. The individual person has no value in this system. Be happy we are getting what we receive. (Sarcasm) It is going to be proof that Marx was correct in saying that the workers are the ones who make the money in a capitalist system and it is the rich that take that money and tell the worker they are worthless. With the time off get the three books of "Das Capital" and read them and then if you think this is incorrect and full of shit read the newer book "Capital" by Thomas Piketty, if you think the system will work for many years, this book will change your opinion.

@dalefvictor Invoking Piketty will get you nowhere with neoliberals my friend, of which I am not one 😉

@Bobbyzen I have no interest in getting any neoliberal or conservative to read anything, I am not that stupid.

Nikki Haley probably really quit to take some job in the administration or run for office. Perhaps she is going to replace Pence for VP.

@dalefvictor By "the system" do you mean "capitalism"? The system that has been working for centuries?

Marx was wrong in thinking workers want to overthrow the system. Workers just want a bigger slice of the pie, and management had better figure that out soon.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:475532
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.