Agnostic.com

15 3

Do you think there's something beyond our intellect ? Let's not assume that is God.

Is there something beyond our mind can process ?

#god
sourceofdesire 6 Nov 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is possible that something or some force created the known universe but that this thing or what ever you want to call it does not now exist . A creators creation can go on forever but the creator does not have to be immortal

I don't know what I can't know, but I put this in the same category as God in that it's too vague (ill-defined) and has no supporting evidence that I've found compelling. Until a falsifiable claim is made and some evidence is forthcoming, I don't feel justified in believing.

I believe there is always going to be a reality beyond our understanding. the intricate patterns and processes of our universe will always follow a set system of natural laws regardless of how greatly or how little we understand them. in this sense I would say that I believe in a power beyond human intelectual capabilities, but still bound to natural limitations.

Isaac Asimov said something about that. Something like he was pretty sure there was something we would call god, but he was equally sure humans had no idea anything about it.

with 7 trillion galaxies you betya

Interesting question... but a bit vague. If you mean "something we cannot comprehend", then yes of course. Science has hardly scratched the surface of understanding us, our world, and the universe.

If you mean "some other entity that CAN comprehend beyond our ability", as hinted at by the God reference, then that's entirely up to just guesswork at this point. We have no proof any intellect beyond the human race exists.

I'm sure there are infinite... how much is there that science has only scratched the surface of?

I don't know doesn't mean answer is God, I don't know mean lets know it. lets research on it. Like difference between Sun worshiper and God worshiper is that the Sun actually exist, At least the Sun worshiper can show you his God. I am not advocating sun worship. but i want to say God is name of claim without evidence, and Atheism is reject of that claim because the claim have zero evidence except oppressing people.

Of course. The vastness of time and space is more than we can really grasp -- as are the many processes at work within the universe and the unimaginable number of interactions between those processes -- and the complexity of those interactions. We keep adding to our image of that, but we will never get there. That still does not mean that there is a god.

Well since x*x exists then x to the n exists

Don't think I got that far in math, please link to something that'll clarify your statement. Thanks.

I was being fasceous.

Of course. Imagine something with as many interconnections as the human brain has that can throw signals through those connections 5, 10, maybe 100 times faster. Our planet's been around for about 3, maybe 4 billion years, the universe 2 or 3 times that. Through evolution or engineering, I'm sure there's something out there that's got more reasoning ability. Caveat: those numbers are extremely rounded, not accurate to the standards an astrophysicist would like.

We know what we know and we don't know what we don't know. 😉

Betty Level 8 Nov 22, 2017

We have no proof of alien anything, but it is hard not to hypothesize that given there are billions upon billions of galaxies, then planets and stars, that somehow, somewhere there is a planet that is capable of creating and sustaining life and that they did it just a few millennia before us. It is a pleasant dream that there actually may be some race out there who is more advanced than us and could help us help ourselves before we stupidly destroy the planet we are living on.

Our universe has recently been ruled out, in principle, of being a simulation, based on the (again, in principle) difficulty in simulating certain quantum effects. That leaves ancient astronauts as the only natural potential "intellect beyond." Of course, we don't know what it is that we don't know, so anything is still possible. I was always a big fan of "It's turtles all the way down" (John Gardener quote IIRC) w/r/t origins questions.

There are fundamental questions that our puny brains will never comprehend - why does the universe exist? How did it come into existence? Why do we exist? etc. etc.

Since we cannot answer any of these simple questions, then to conjure up a creator is an equally-incomprehensive next step and would be a man-made concept.

It's is always a possibility, but I would should hope it wasn't the Christian God. Lol. Just kidding! On a seriouse note, though, I'd say it is possible.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4767
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.