Agnostic.com

20 8

LINK Megachurch pastor arrested after holding crowded service in defiance of rules - AOL News

The mentioned bible passage is misinterpreted as many are. Did the state compromise a boundary by interfering in the church's exempt status?

IAJO163 8 Mar 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They should have locked the whole congregation in the church for the next 3 weeks. I guess the pastor said they had some "secret" filtration for the building, that kills the virus. Of course the good christian he is, he keeps it a secrect. (although we all know that's a bunch of bologna too).

Consider a comparison between the church people and this band.

The Last Song Played
After the Titanic fatally hit the iceberg, the brave band played their instruments as terrified passengers made their way to the lifeboats, up until the very last moments that the ship was afloat. Many of the survivors said that Hartley and the band continued to play until the very end. [rmstitanichotel.co.uk]

Word Level 8 Apr 1, 2020

Wow pastor, he doesn't understand that his God is in social distance or busy in the happy hour.

I say, "Let them worship. It will do them some good. And the rest of us as well."

There is no collection plate online. I really wish they had put him in the tank for at least an hour or 2 before they let him out on bond.

I'm glad this asshole got arrested. But you watch....I'll bet the judge will set him free and eliminate any charges against him.

Lock Him Up, Lock Them Up, Lock Them All Up.

Wouldn't it be really nice IF they end up sentencing him to 1 day in Wuhan for every member of his 'deluded flock' that gets the virus plus an extra for ever non-member that gets infected by his duped fools as well.

I was only sad that they let him go instead of tossing away the key. Since some places are trying to charge some idiots who are licking things in Walmart with terrorism, why not this fool? (Assuming such charges are accurate.)

Heard that this morning on NPR. This is clear evidence these people are only interested in money. They have spread their hype so long they actually are starting to believe it themselves. Some time ago our Governor said no exceptions would be made even for religious purposes. So let's see how far the 'religious' will go in putting their god above the law and common sense.

Saw him on the news before the arrest and prior to holding the service. He went on about his right to religious freedom. Seemed more about getting his 15 minutes of fame than any religious desire. After all religious groups all over the US are holding services on Facebook, utube, etc. So there is really no need to flaunt the law contrary to the interest of public health and safety. But I guess in all perhaps thinning the herd a bit with a potentially lethal virus is a good thing?

Cinco Level 5 Mar 31, 2020

When it comes to public health, I think th estate should be able to close the churches. Nothing prevents members from practicing their faith at home. Technology makes it possible for churches to create pod casts, or live feed video... if htey must have some sort of formal service.

The difficulties only really come for collections and donations, which is why churches insist on services in meeting halls... It is all about the money.

Our lives are on hold in order to slow this up, while they’ve some non-given right to nullify our sacrifices?

Varn Level 8 Mar 31, 2020

Hell, no! As a Tampa resident, I am proud of our sheriff.

When religious beliefs outstrip the law because their moral compass is not in line with the society they claim to represent, they should be ostracized, arrested, and their tax free status revoke!!!

Lock him up!!!

Lets hope they put him in a jail which is infected.

Yet another religious leader who thinks he can flout the law and when he is called to book for it screams persecution. No one stopped him preaching many churches have on line services. What is this magic machine he claims to have that makes his church sterile? just another con man coning the flock perhaps he is worried if they stay at home the money may dry up

The church may be "sterile" (doubt it!) But the people are NOT! However, I encourage them to mingle, shake hands, hug, even kiss...get 'em outta the gene pool

@AnneWimsey When this is over it will be interesting on the number of people like this who contracted the virus compared to those who stayed at home. O doubt such figures would be collated but it would beintesting. I do suppose though they would claim its achinese plot ot satan attcking them

Well, if these measures of social distancing are needed, why should he be an exception?

That was on the local news last night.
Made my day.
Too bad they didn't keep him in jail.

It's one of those sticky situations where if we bypass the exempt status then the church would try harder to aggressively influence politics in their favor.

@IAJO163 Yeah, they're trying to claim First Amendment rights, but they're endangering the public health, so they lose.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:478213
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.