Agnostic.com

21 6

Persistent Ex.

My ex and I broke up one year ago. He was an emotionally abusive, narcissistic boyfriend. When I decided to 'run for the hills' and leave him, I blocked him his number. He still found a way to communicate with me so I changed my number. But I didn't know he is a grade one stalker. He got to know my new number and he persistently calls and texts me even though I always ignore him. I know I won't communicate with him. I just hope he will soon get tired and forget about me. Am just wondering, has anyone here experienced a persistent ex?

GladToBeFree 5 Apr 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just make sure you stay NO CONTACT! No Communication whatsoever! Don't reply, don't respond in any way. Don't mention him in anyway whether subtle, by name or enuendo in any posts on public forums, to friends or family unless you implicitly trust them. The worst thing you can do is give him any attention or feeling that he has an affect on you. High conflict persons and/or the personality disordered thrive on drama and attention, even if it is negative. Protect yourself any way you can, but be careful. Harrassment is a serious issue and abusive high conflict people will not be detered by legal actions that tend ot escalate rather than help the situation. Seek legal advice, Therapy, whatever you have to do. Zero Attention/No Contact is the only way to go. Be Strong/Be Safe!

Stalking is now a crime. Report him.

she lives in Kenya

@btroje oh.

@btroje [kenyalaw.org]

There is an applicable statute.

@Gatovicolo But getting it enforced can be tricky. I'm an ex-Kenyan and know the practicalities are tricky.

@Petter it’s a 3rd world country, true, and, even in a he US, the applicable statutes are hard to enforce, but reporting it is the first step.

@Gatovicolo It does indeed have a fiercely independent judiciary. However, if the problem is persistent pestering, rather than any actual threat of violence, the police have far more pressing matters to rectify. I once even had to give police officers a lift to where I had reported a crime to them, as they had insufficient transport.

@Petter I’m not surprised.

Someone you're giving your new numbers to is fencing for him. You need to change your number and not tell anyone who doesn't absolutely need to know. 100%. Tell your boss and one or two close people. Anyone else tell them to message you on fb or something.

As well as everyone else's agreement of reporting to the cops. Keep all messages he sends you and any messages telling him to stop you've sent back, but keep ignoring him. If you return any calls or texts after the initial "stop contacting me" then they can't do much because you're still responding

Ignoring is probably your best bet. Though if you're in the mood to have a little fun , you could use a method a friend of mine used when in a similar situation ... One of her kids had this electronic toy, that produced some really obnoxious, ear-splitting sounds. Whenever her problem human would call - she'd say nothing, and simply hold this gadget next to the phone. Stopped all calls after about a week !
(after almost a year of varied harrassment)

Not since yesterday.
Not really an ex, we only dated briefly. She tracks me down 2 or 3 times a year just to show she can. Her back ground is in a field tracking down people who do not wish to be located. She sent a few texts, probably does the same to other ex partners dates etc. She wanted to tell me she was spending the weekend with the family of a new guy.

Somewhat over 9 years of ending 10 year relationship he tried to come back after 2 years with a girl in Michigan. Thankfully was dating someone new at the time. Meanwhile he still gives this address to bill collectors, women sending him cheap jewelry and junk mail. I don't call him to tell them to stop - just goes in trash. Unfriended him on FB after my dog Aussie (in his care) died at 14.

A year of harrassing, haranguing, wheedling, cajoling, and/or flattering texts. I gritted my teeth and ignored until he evetually stopped. Didn't have to change my number.

He wasn't violent or threatening, just narcissistic, codependent, and totally out to lunch. I thanked my lucky stars when I'd heard he'd left town.

Hopefully my ex will soon stop texting and calling.

Sorry to hear you are going though this.... Maybe there is a legal recourse you can take in your country?

Yes there is but he hasn't threatened me or anything like that.

@Agnosticatheist1 what are your options there?

@btroje if he hasn't threatened me there's nothing much I can do other than ignore him.

@Agnosticatheist1 pretty much the same here. if he does threaten you what are your options?

@btroje then I will be able to report him to the police.

No. I guess I'm just not that loveable. 🙂

You are doing great, if you have been able to resist the urge to text/call him and tell him to knock it off. That's what a narcissist counts on. that they can still 'getch ya'. Absolutely you should report it to the police. Every few weeks. Not so that they take action necessarily, but so that they know it is still happening. So that if something escalates, they already know you and the history, and are far more likely to take it seriously at the time.

9mm's of "No".

wonder what gun laws are in Kenya

@btroje They have gun laws in Kenya? Crazy.

@Parasight do you know about life in Kenya? Kind of hard to advise people on any subject in another country or that you may not be familiar with

@btroje Do you live in Kenya or own a firearm?

@btroje Firearms Act (Cap. 114) Laws of Kenya. ... Applicants must be 21 years of age or older, pass a stringent background check for criminal activity, mental health and domestic violence, and state genuine reason(s) for their need to privately own and carry a firearm.

That's super creepy. I've been through it. Continue to ignore him unless he threatens you, in which case be sure to save all messages and contact the police immediately. Does he know where you live?

No, i had to move because of his annoying persistence. He has tried to ask my family and friends but luckily they all ignore him too.

@Agnosticatheist1 Do not ever answer him. In the book "Gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker one of the things he mentions if you ignore someome for say 30 calls & pick up on 31 it just teaches them that it takes 31 calls to get through to you.
Good luck to you. That sounds VERY scary 😟 😟 😟

@Agnosticatheist1 Not to sound paranoid, but if he somehow finds out where you live now try to get a restraining order. Hopefully it won't come to that, but better safe than sorry. Abusive people are unpredictable.

@Qualia yes intermittent reinforcement is the strongest reinforcer. Las Vegas uses that all the time

@btroje Good point!

Can you get some kind of order of protection from him? You've taken all reasonable steps to separate yourself from this asshole but apparently it's not enough. See if you can get law enforcement involved. What a loser he is.

Most if not all localities require the person to be a threat to your safety. Usually they won't consider a protection order just for writing them. With that said, I would at least talk to a policeman/sheriff to see what her options are.

Yes, even men occasionally encounter this ugliness. I have. Even though stalking is predominantly done by males- notice that I did not say by men - there re a few female practitioners as well - again not by true woment.

It is all long past now, but my ex that I have children with used to bug me to death. It was all the normal stuff and more. She married again and still bugged me. That marriage lasted 23 years until her man died. These days I try to follow a "bury the hatchet" policy because I know it is best. I even advise her if something bad comes up and I hear of it. Getting along is always better. You have to ask yourself what your children might think if you repeatedly are against their mother. We all must see that we are not perfect.

Thankfully no. Some folks just don't know when to call it quits. Hopefully you'll be able to get rid of that stalker for good soon.

My ex found me on a dating app and I never went back on there, except once. It was a profile made in the summer. He viewed it 2 weeks before I logged in again. The next day, he checked it again. I never deactivated it. I have not gone back on there though. I blocked him on FB and on my cell phone. He doesn't know where I moved to. He's a registered sex offender. He lied through the whole relationship. I did edit my bio on the app to brag about going back to college. He saw it.

Yeah. And it isn't fun at all. I've had two that were bad. I would report it if I were you. Just in case.

My ex is still trying to contact me online almost 5 years after I kicked his ass to the curb. He isn't brave enough to try to contact me in person though.

Wow, that's a pretty long time....

I think he could be problematic as he needs that power and he has none. id get the first punch in and get a restraining order because this sounds far from over.

not me but my sister had someone she met in Australia come to stalk her in Washington DC. It is not something to take lightly

How did she handle it?

@Agnosticatheist1 My sister keeps her cards pretty close to the vest. I am not sure what she did exactly. I do know he frightened her a lot. It wasnt like she could get a restraining order on someone who was not a US citizen. SHe worked for the federal government and I think she had concerns it would affect her security clearance so didnt do much that would leave a paper trail

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:47874
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.