Agnostic.com

11 17

Today's hike: "Holy shit!" moments, afraid of slipping over the edge.

I was dreading today's hike. The trail is narrow, icy and slippery with a huge drop-off on one side. I have had panic attacks on this trail. Today Karen and I hiked seven miles total with 1,800 feet of elevation gain (and loss). We used micro-spikes.

The narrow trail was extremely difficult: snow riddled with deep post-holes, hard, gray ice and patches of mud. Nothing was flat. The footing was so tricky, I had a number of "holy shit!" moments, afraid of slipping over the edge. In the afternoon, the snow and ice softened, making it safer to walk as we descended. Thank goodness.

"Breathe slowly," I told myself. "You have done this before. You can do it."

We stepped aside to let a charming young couple go ahead of us. Firefighters for the U.S. Forest Service, they were on back-country skis with skins. They planned to climb to the summit of Mission Peak, 14 miles away. Camp overnight in the snow. Ski down tomorrow.

"But we're standing in mud," the man protested mildly when I asked to take their photo.

Karen got a wild hair and wanted to join the couple climbing up a steep, snowy meadow to a ridge. "It's pretty post-holey!" the man called. An understatement.

Karen and I were sinking up to our thighs. "I don't think this is a good idea, Karen," I said. "We need snowshoes." "Let's stay in the shade," she replied and instantly sank up to her armpits. I laughed. Because I'm light, I don't break through much.

"That's it," Karen decided. "Let's go down to the trail." Even that wasn't easy.

I had fun after it warmed up and the ice and snow softened. Lengthened my poles, swung them forward, and walked between them on the descent. This speeded me up, too.

I had a wonderful time! Proud of myself.

Photos:

1. Glacier Peak (10,000 feet).

2. Forest Service firefighters with back-country skis. They removed their skis in muddy patches. Will take off the skins on their skis to slide downhill.

3. Mt. Stuart (9,416 feet).

4. The trail where we just were.

5. "Do you want to stand out here for a photo?" Karen asked. "No, it's too scary," I replied. That's the trail on the left.

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I feel tired today.

That's what I call girl power, be careful watch out for mountain lions glacier peak is an extinct volcano. pretty scenery, I've been to Mount Baker area, also Mount St. Helen's.

@ml58n2

Since age 21, I have hiked hundreds of miles each year. Only saw two mountains lions in the Olympic Mountains at age 22. Since then, I have seen their kill: bloody deer bones, entrails and carcasses.

While snowshoeing, I rarely see cougar tracks. Mountain lions are elusive. For safety, I never hike alone.

I heard on the news a while back that they had a mountain lion attack in California. but I have heard that It;s rare that they attack humans, they say to put hands up and act big to scare them off and make alot of noiseI almost stepped on a rattle snake when I was a teenager growing up in California, hiking up in the hills.@LiterateHiker

@ml58n2

Fight an attacking mountains lion like crazy. If you put up a big fight, they usually give up.

@ToolGuy, @RoyMillar, @Jolanta, @BudFrank, @Ohub, @BestWithoutGods, @DenoPenno, @bobwjr, @Novelty

Woke up and remembered two details.

Young forest fighters on backcountry skis. Mission Peak was 14 miles away! Karen and I figured it out. They were doing a 28-mile round trip on iffy snow with heavy packs. Back-country skiing takes tremendous strength. "I'm impressed with you two," I told them.

Walking on snow sounds easy. On the trail, a high, narrow ridge of snow was riddled with deep post-holes where men had broken through. There was ice on the sides where the edges had melted. Nothing was level. It was hard to find a safe spot to step. It was like walking on Swiss cheese.

Karen said my pack was too heavy, that it threw off my balance.

If my foot slipped into a post hole, that would throw me off-balance, perhaps over the cliff. This was about a third of the trail.

As the afternoon warmed, snow and ice softened, giving us better traction on the descent. What a relief!

You are a brave adventurer! 🙂

@BestWithoutGods

Thanks.

I had fun after it warmed up and the ice and snow softened. Could relax after we got through the scary section again.

Lengthened my poles, swung them forward, and walked between them on the descent. Felt strong and confident. This speeded me up, too.

Your a brave lady to go on some of the trails your so vividly describe ,happy it was a safe journey ,Gorgeous pics as usual

@RoyMillar

Thank you. Compared to Karen, 72, I feel like a weenie.

Glad you’re safe. Another interesting adventure well told.

@BudFrank

Hugs. Thanks.

I always look forward to reading about your adventures !

Ohub Level 7 Apr 17, 2020

Who is that doggie in window (well maybe not the window).

@Jolanta

It's Karen's dog, Bonnie, an Australian cattle dog who is well-trained.

Bonnie is a wonderful hiker and climber. She alerts us when people or animals are around.

Karen and I got separated while steeply descending last summer. Whistles are built into the chest straps on our packs. We agreed on a signal: three long blasts. Stop and listen. Repeat.

Bonnie heard my whistling first and led Karen straight to me.

@LiterateHiker How great was that. Can you imagine getting lost from your hiking companion? Rather scary I would think.

@Jolanta

We were descending to the car and went down different gullies. Couldn't see each other.

😲 What an adventure! I'm glad you returned alive. I really hope you compile your adventures in a book along with the photos. I'd buy it in an instant. 🙂

Oh you flatterer, but you are right.

Incredible! I agree with you on number 5. Standing out there for a photo is too scary and dangerous.

@DenoPenno

Thank you.

Karen, 72, is so brave and bold, I feel like like a weenie when I refuse.

@ToolGuy

Wow! I tip my hat in your direction. You are braver than me.

"Monkey" was my childhood nickname because I loved climbing trees.

Shoved a book and board into the back waistband of my shorts and nimbly climbed a tree. Settled the board in a tree crotch. Read to my heart's content.

Is that not a bit irresponsible ?. What if you had an accident and the rescue services had to be called out.
We are on lock down here and only essential journeys are permitted. All car parks are closed off and only walking or cycling from home are allowed.
We are enjoying some lovely spring weather and would love to get up in the hills but it is a no go I'm afraid.

@Moravian

Spring hiking in the mountains means blue skies, warmer temperatures, and melting snow and ice.

You never know what you will get.

I had fun after it warmed up and the ice and snow softened. Lengthened my poles, swung them forward, and walked between them on the descent. This speeded me up, too.

@LiterateHiker You didn't answer my question.
My son did a solo hike about a month ago. It was still proper winter conditions requiring crampons, ice axe etc. He put some amazing photos on facebook and was lambasted for being irresponsible and that was before the lockdown was fully in force.
The message from the mountain rescue services is do not go into the hills.

@Moravian

In Washington State, mountain rescue services have not warmed people to stay out of the mountains.

We were not irresponsible.

We used microspikes and brought hiking poles, extra food, water, clothing, first aid kits, survival blankets and more.

Since age 21, I have hiked hundreds of miles each year. Never broke a bone or needed rescue.

@LiterateHiker [reneeroaming.com]

I think it is interesting to note the difference in attitude between the UK and the USA. We tend to do what we are told to mostly whilst in the USA (the land of the free)the attitude is different. Churches still open, drivers gridlocking Lansing town centre in Michigan to protest at the lockdown.
Hikers driving to the mountains to hike against advice from the authorities.
I live in a small village where half of the houses are holiday homes or holiday lets. Usually at Easter the place is buzzing but this year very quiet. One group of people ignored the instructions not to travel and came up from England for a break. Some of them went int the local butchers to buy supplies and the owner chased them. Well done that man.

@Moravian

Right-wing, gun-toting idiots who protested stay-at-home orders, screamed "Lock Her Up!' and waved Confederate flags and Trump signs have NOTHING to do with me.

As a Democrat, Trump, Republicans and racists horrify me. Do not generalize about Americans.

In Washington State, citizens have been asked not to gather in groups. I hiked with another woman, not a group. She and I stayed at least six feet apart and did not share food. We drove separately.

@LiterateHiker As I said, the diffrence in attitude is marked both by the authorities and indivuduals.
All our national parks, scenic areas are closed. Yours appear to be mostly open.
Only essential journeys are allowed here. Police are stopping drivers and asking if ther journey is neccessary.
Hundreds of people have been fined for breaching the instructions.
The lock down has been extended for a further three weeks'
Trump is going to lift some of the restrictions.

Although all the car parks are closed I could quite easily drive to the hills find somewhere to park and go for a hike but when I think of the milljons stuck in apartments with hardly any access to any green space I think maybe that would be a bit selfish. I am fortunate to have hundreds of acres of woodland and miles of tracks I can access from my front door so that will do me until the lockdown is lifted.

Oh don’t piss on her parade.

@Jolanta

Thank you, dear. Well said. My thoughts, exactly.

@ToolGuy

You are astute and very funny! Good point.

Barefoot, I broke a toe tripping on a chair leg. Striding forcefully into the bedroom with clean sheets in my arms. Hooked the chair leg between my toes, I tripped and fell forward. With good balance, didn't fall.

Instead I hopped to the bed and threw myself on my back. Bad word.

Hopped to the window, gripped the windowsill and groaned loudly. Another fine job.

@Jolanta Aw diddums. I'm envious because I can't get out in the hills in this glorious spring weather.

@Moravian you are right. This is about individuals wanting what they want.

From the state of WA website

[governor.wa.gov]

*This Stay Home, Stay Healthy order is similar to orders that other governors, in places such as California and New York, issued last week.

This proclamation will:

Require every Washingtonian to stay home unless they need to pursue an essential activity.Ban all gatherings for social, spiritual and recreational purposes.Close all businesses except essential businesses.*

[wdfw.wa.gov]

Outdoor recreation during "Stay Home, Stay Healthy" order: Do outdoor activities only with people in your immediate household - not extended families. Enjoy the outdoors close to home instead of traveling. General rule of thumb: If you have to drive, it's too far.If you encounter others, maintain a minimum of 6 feet of physical distance.Gatherings of any size are not allowed outdoors, just as they are not allowed indoors. 

All state parks and wildlife areas in WA are closed, but much of the open space is technically under a mix of federal and state jurisdiction and can't be closed without the feds. That being said, just because you can doesnt mean you should. A different cultural attitude for sure.

@Burner Interesting. I was surprised that lockdown in the USA and in other countries should mean different things.
I would hope that most people follow the instructions

@Moravian its on an honor system. At this point most governors (each state has its own rules) are focusing on business that don't "follow the rules" but some businesses are allowed to be open and people do need to go places, eg either work at those business or need to go to visit those businesses. There is no order that people carry papers as to why or where theyre going, so theres really no way to police the thjngs people do. Some states have been more agressive about ticketing cars parked at trail heads n such, but its still mostly an honor system since the police are needed else where. Vandalism and burglary are surging, plus misc stupidity by bored people who take this opporunity to drive really fast on the less crowded roads n such. Plenty of people think the rules shouldnt apply to them for watever reason. Some are more organized, like the protesters that were mentioned above, some are just "rugged individualists" who want/take the right to do as they please.

@Burner Same here. there have been cases of people driving at crazy speeds on empty roads and some people driving to holiday homes. Apparently some were driving to their country home and having their luggage sent by courier in case they were stopped by the police.
On the whole though I think we are better at following rules here in the UK. All churches are closed. there have been no mass protests and people are generally kepping away from the hills and beauty spots.
There are always some as you say who think the rules are only for other people and of course accidents only happen to other people.
I note that Literatehiker hasn't respondent to your earlier post. I wonder why ? 🙂

@Moravian just some schadenfreud [komonews.com]

@Burner Oh dear !!

Please be careful

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 16, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:485608
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.