Agnostic.com

22 1

Why is it difficult to find true love??

Greg89 5 Apr 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't know that everyone would have the same difficulties. Some of the issues are mentioned below. I think it's also because true love takes work, and thought, and action. Love is an action verb, I heard once, and that really struck home. It's not just a "feeling".

I think it’s because we don’t have a good handle on what love means.

Excellent point, and we all have a different definition, so even if someone "got a handle" on it, other people would be trying to move the handle, or change it.

@ThinkKate I wouldn't mind an ever-changing definition of love so much. We just need to keep talking, holding hands, and cuddling.

Because of expectations... people know what they want and fill out a form like they are placing a take out order. If I decide what I want I may never find it, if I choose from what’s available I may find something wonderful I had never considered. If you ask me what type of girl is my type I could tell you but the single best love of my life did not fit that mold... our problem was we lived in different countries 3,000 miles apart and both had things keeping us from being together, she was not the perfect I was looking for but she was awsome in a thousand ways, she was the one the made the worst 5 years of life the best 5 years of my life and if I never find that again I’ll die happy knowing I had it for just a little while. I did not join this site to date as you can see on my profile but I don’t go to Publix looking for a date either... if happens it’s no different than that.

Because we want it all our own way, too little compromise, we are too fussy, too set in our ways, possibly only think we are looking for it, or perhaps wouldn't recognise it.

Or.. be careful what you wish for - you might get it... and more, that you didn't want.

I gave up for now, I am living my life especially when I know that, I am not an angel, I am not millionaire,I am not famous, I don't have a PHD, Iam exotic and black. I know my place in America. So I changed my settings to say I am here for community, that's if its also accommodative of my ever wandering minds.

I think some members want to find someone within 5 miles. I have not heard from men who are 20 minutes away. I opened up my boundaries and have traveled by plane to meet a member. Didn't find true love but know what I'm looking for - lol.

Honestly I think it has everything to do with one's definition of or what they think true love looks like... One's expectations mitigate perception... From another's perspective what you have may be exactly what they are dreaming of and yet the one in the relationship maybe in reality unsatisfied. Being mindful, introspective about one's expectations, needs and ultimately wants.. from oneself and partner, while committing to intimate relationship, is what keeps people satisfied and engaged.... From my experience. Nothing in this world is one size fits all... Thankfully. (insert sly smile with shoulder shrug here) ?

Because it doesn't exist. What are the chances that out of all the people on Earth that are living in the same timeframe as you, that there is one that's perfect for you that happens to be where you might meet them in person or online? And what if you don't even speak the same language, so you have no idea you've met your mate?
Oh, how we've been brainwashed to think there is such a thing as true love. It wasn't so long ago that marriage had absolutely nothing to do with love.
That being said, I do believe in love. But I believe that 'true love' is for fairy tales.

I guess I didn't assume that finding true love meant there is only one person on the planet with whom I could share that.

@BlueWave and @chicagojcb, by definition I would think that 'true' love is referring to a singular person. I guess to each their own

@BlueWave, in this case I consider it to mean exact. Again, different strokes for different folks.

@BlueWave so just to be a stickler, because that's exactly what I'm doing, Webster's Thesaurus shows that a synonym of exact is true. That is one of the ways I interpret the word true. I also would not claim to know what the majority of the human species feels one way or the other on this topic, since I don't believe there is an accurate way to test that hypothesis.

I either drove off @BlueWave, or maybe I'm blocked? Can't see the replies any longer, nor the profile. For the record, I will argue my point when someone tries to insinuate my interpretation is wrong, and that something unverifiable is a fact. If I'm wrong based on facts, show me that. I'm an adult, I can change my mind based on new information. You don't have to block me or whatever. I wasn't getting mad, I was providing information to back up my interpretation. I'm not against debate.

Because you are looking for it. You can't look for love. If you do, you will never find it. You have to let 'it' find you.

LJ49 Level 4 Apr 2, 2018

Because you told your love the truth? 🙂

jeffy Level 7 Apr 2, 2018

The closest may be with first love.

I think many people find it hard to put their full heart into it after that heartbreak.

Harder even than that is seeing your child's heart broken like that.

You almost want to snap the little dung bag in half. Then you remember they're only 16 too.

Because it does not exist over time. It is momentary. It is fleeting but they change, you change, the whole world changes. What was "true love" during a moment is no longer so true the day after, or a week later or 10 years down the road.

I can derive some naturally occurring reasons.

1. Because true love is a mood, and like everything else, it will hit diminishing returns.

2. Because maintaining relationships is an active, persistent thing, and that takes lots of time and effort.

3. Because the parties involved almost always have conflicting ambitions and mindsets, and this causes them to butt heads until either one or both parties terminates the relationship.

4. Not all types do well together.

5. Only one participant is actually interested in doing the relationship. The other person can have an affective problem where they view their responsibilities as much smaller than they actually are, because they have not thought out the implications of their own schedule versus the other party's schedule.

6. Idle time. Have you noticed how some people will just lounge around all day, rotting away? When people take their rest periods, be it their nightly sleep, or a vacation, they often make their state worse, rather than resting and recovering from work. This causes them to become neurotic and they will terminate their relationships, or reduce them.

7. Some participants in relationships insist on a time and energy investment that produces absolutely nothing of value.

8. Politics. Relationships have become marginal implications of political movements, and this causes people to see each other through a political, rather than a realistic lens. This causes ignorant responses in communicating, and behavior. One participant may think that their partner is type A when they are actually a C, and then it just aggregates from there.

Because most people are difficult

Maybe you're trying too hard!

You will not find it unless you learn to love and accept yourself first. If you don't feed and water your own self and attend to your own needs you can't expect others to want and love you for who you truly are. Once you are projecting a positive energy and putting it out into the universe it will attract other positive energy to you. It will not and can not be forced but if you open yourself up to the possibilities of it happening, it will. Its also a numbers / environment thing. Volunteer, join a club, go to social events and find like minded people. It will happen if you let it.

From my experience, people are afraid of getting too close. Maybe it's just me, but I see this happening, especially as I get older. Most people my age have been divorced (maybe more than once) have lost, and rebuilt everything and don't want to chance losing again.

It doesn't exist .......stop watching Disney movies ......when you find someone to love you'll realise they ain't perfect and neither is love but somehow it works

Hard to find. Harder to hold onto.

Define true love. Not sure I know the meaning. Unless you're talking about paternal love.

Greg, I wish I knew ,if I did I would tell you and we would both know, the only true love I ever got was from dear old Moma, and an old cat! So as far as love goes I'm still working on self love! I guess that will just have to do?

Honestly I couldn't tell ya friend. I'm having a speck of trouble with that myself.. I have high standards for sure.. But not when it comes to looks.. I have a good job, I make good money and I do a good job of standing on my own two feet and I prefer to find a lady whose in the same position...

I want to find myself a partner...Someone to build a relationship with and most of the women I've encountered aren't looking for that.. They seem to just want someone to take care of em and support em.. Not saying that's the case with all women.. I know there are plenty of strong independent women out there... Just where I am at they are hard to find.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:48710
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.