Agnostic.com

3 0

STIMULUS CHECK truth. Many of us have already got our stimulus check. The question is what are we stimulating? Menuchin says this money should last a person at least 10 weeks. He implies this is money for you to get food with during this hard pandemic time. This is wrong. The money was sent to us so we can stimulate the economy.

DenoPenno 9 Apr 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My dad's ladyfriend works at Walmart. The way she tells it the stimulus checks are being used to buy televisions.

This is happening all over. The basic idea behind the checks is not to "make sure you have food" as some claim. The checks do 2 basic things. They will keep you quiet while businesses are being bailed out because you also got some money. Spending them in any way possible helps "stimulate" the economy.

@DenoPenno I just hope they have a place to put their new TVs when landlords and mortgage companies start evictions and foreclosures. I'm fairly certain that most of the people buying TVs are the same ones who are complaining about not working.

I have a cousin that is all "buy Made in USA" with the money Trump is giving you, while I'm more of a "pay your bills" kind of person.

Quite agree. That has always been my impression. Spend the money locally not internationally or on eBay.

Get a haircut, by bread from your bakery not the supermarket, buy flowers, in fact ascertain the businesses in your local high street that are struggling and buy something from them.

This is an opportunity to strike at neoliberalism and support your local trader. They are the ones who will keep your high street alive, not the corporates!

Firstly, as far as I know, it wasn't intended to be for the purpose of stimulus, but rather for relief. Even so, any spending, including for food, stimulates the economy.

This is true. My point is that the money is not so much for you as it is for stimulating the economy. It might also be argued that money was given in part to average people to keep them from bitching as they (the government_)once again bail out big business

@DenoPenno No, it is exactly for you, not the economy. Did you even read all of my comment?

@bingst Reading does not mean I fully agree. Of course you can spend the money any way you want to but the government did not send this money with an idea of you not starving in mind. This is so because they do not give a damn about you as an individual.

@DenoPenno For some folks it will be the difference between eating, paying rent and homelessness.

There are a lot of folks living very close to the edge right now because of hiring practices and pay scales.

I've been referring people to food banks and other free food sources for weeks now.

There are a ton of folks who desperately need this money (and many are still waiting).
For some reason even though they have direct deposit information for folks on SSI and SSDI there are still tons of folks in limbo wondering if the checks will even arrive.

Sure it will stimulate the economy. But it's also needed.

You should have seen the line for free childrens lunches I saw at my local food bank. I can only hope they continue to provide this as long as it's needed.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:487124
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.