Agnostic.com

11 10

"Science is better than religion... until it tells me something I don't want to hear! Then my comforting beliefs are WAY better than stinking old science. Those crazy scientists! They seem to think evolution made religion!! HA! What do they know anyway. "
[agnostic.com]

skado 9 Apr 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Science is education while Religion is a practice. No arguments.

skado, without the sciences we'd still be living in mud and twigs huts or even still in caves, scared shit-less of every single noise in the night, you wouldn't be on this site posting since there would be NO electricity, Internet, computers, Iphones/Ipads, etc, etc, no lighting in our houses, no Supermarkets selling foods, etc, no refrigeration, no cooling in the hot weather, the death rate of children and infants would be at least 30- 40% HIGHER world-wide, you'd be very lucky to live past the age of between 40 and 50 years, women would be dying in child-birth at very high rates, diseases, simple diseases, would be running rampant through populations, fleas, lice and other pests would be inhabiting every living person and breeding exponentially, in other words we would be FUCKED before we even got started most of the time.

Yes and religion evolve over time as well. Religions track with the development of the societies they inhabit. Prosperity Gospel churches are the most popular today because we live in a capitalist society. So of course God wants us all to be wealthy and if you aren't then you must not be right in the eyes of God. Thankfully Post Modern Religions recognize all these stages and are able to reject the parts that are no longer useful and evolve the parts which are beneficial to both the individual and society. Unfortunately for Post Modern Churches the people who are that evolved also realize that church is unnecessary.

Science is more credible than religion. Evidence is everything.

Did you look at it?

@skado I always do.

@Atheist3
Maybe I should ask did you read the four articles linked?

@skado No. I'm sufficiently read in both topics (religion & science/evolution) to reach a tentative conclusion of what is the most probable answer based upon the available evidence.

@Atheist3
You are welcome to engage the conversation, or not, as you please.

@skado Thanks, but no thanks.

being a cancer patient (multiple myeloma ) i will go with science and modern medicine every time. I laugh at some of the people in my support groups who "thank God" for i don't know what.

Math is better than science. You always have the truth.

Even math has its conundrums, exemplified by the work of Gödel.
[en.wikipedia.org]

@Coffeo true, but the only truth you’ll ever find is found in math.

@Gatovicolo The only truth? I don't think you believe that

@tonymatz really?

@TheMiddleWay you’re correct. But truth is either correspondence or function. The first is a mater of opinion. The second is certain. The angel sum theorem is provable by deduction. Deduction is analytic reasoning. Provided the reasoning in the proof isn’t flawed, it’s certain. That’s truth functional. Very few things can meet that threshold.

"For ages, a deadly conflict has been waged between a few brave men and women of thought and genius upon the one side, and the great ignorant religious mass on the other. This is the war between Science and Faith. The few have appealed to reason, to honor, to law, to freedom, to the known, and to happiness here in this world. The many have appealed to prejudice, to fear, to miracle, to slavery, to the unknown, and to misery hereafter. The few have said, "Think!" The many have said, "Believe!"
Robert Green Ingersoll, 'The Gods' 1872

@TheMiddleWay The term 'fake news' is a tired meme. There's nothing 'fake' about the efforts by people of faith to influence, if not de-secularize science. From the persecution of Galileo, to bans on the teaching of Darwinism (still in effect in much of the Muslim world), to the gatecrashing of public school science textbooks, the faithful won't be satisfied until science presents the story they want to hear--a story of God's handiwork in forging his 'perfect' creation. In other words, Paley's Watch all over again, but in our public schools! Give these people of faith the power they seek to regain, and science will take further hits, beginning with funding and ending with tests of faith on the part of any scientist who accepts public funding.

@TheMiddleWay We may have to agree to disagree on this topic. The conflict is there, trust me. I was brought up in a faith that taught us that the age of the Earth is roughly 6,000 years, the flood was the reason for the fossil record, and this religion flat out rejects Darwin as an article of faith. To teach evolution would get a person fired from the church’s school system, if not disfellowshipped entirely. Stephen Jay Gould’s NOMA is not something I can accept, as I have firsthand experience to the contrary.

The war between science and faith is philosophical and intellectual. It needn’t report casualties to be deemed a conflict. The victims here are the countless minds and intellects indelibly damaged by superstition, condemnation and threats of damnation for entertaining ideas that are not in accord with a particular interpretation of a so-called holy book. That people of faith have been and continue to be the majority of scientists is hardly surprising, since most people have been churched. And that the religious would utilize the very technology that science has provided is also no surprise—consider how many flat earthers use GPS navigation or telecommunications that rely on satellites!

It's all about belief and faith. What do you choose to believe in and what story do you have faith in. After all, is it true thay blondes have more fun, if so do they have to be 'natural'? 🙂

I have found that I cannot "choose to believe." Rather, my beliefs choose me. Once the veil has been lifted, and I can see the sham for what it is, I could never again, in my wildest dreams 'choose to believe' in religion, any more than I could 'choose to believe' in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy. There are some things one cannot believe in, no matter how hard we try. Religion and faith are two of those things that I cannot convince myself of--once again, we cannot choose to believe something that our reason and intellect scorns.

I agree with @p-nullifidian. I have never seen belief as a matter of choice. Saying 'you have to believe' something is like saying 'you have to be an elephant.' Not an option.

@Coffeo Command theory for belief is like command theory for love. Demands are made without any consideration of the individual. One can no more be told what to believe than who to love--even by a god.

Perhaps it would be better to say which facts and stories you choose to believe and which you choose to discard, as they either don't fit or aren't what you want to hear.

I'll go with science. When my mere beliefs are disproved by science, I give them up. And yes, evolution is how humans came about, and humans invented religion. I accept scientific facts and dismiss religion as a scam based on mythology.

Don't care to look at the scientific evidence?

@skado The evidence is very important. I would prefer to see the evidence before accepting a hypothesis as true.

@BestWithoutGods
Did you check out the link?

@skado Yes.

@BestWithoutGods
Did you read all the articles linked in the other post?

@skado No.

@BestWithoutGods
Evidence isn't proof of course, but if you'd like to look at evidence, there's a fair amount available.

At least 'science' does some effort to do some research depending on the (known) facts. I prefer a science (which might make mistakes), trying to solve daily issues, over some nonsense stories about flying prophets!

More than you!

That's for sure. You have a nice day, friend.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:487471
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.