Agnostic.com

11 32

Yesterday hiked from arid, shrub-steppe to a high green ecosystem.

Yesterday Karen and I hiked 11.7 miles with over 3,000 feet of elevation gain. We started at the highest trail head in Sage Hills Trails, Wenatchee, WA. Climbed from arid, shrub-steppe hills to the high, green summit of a Cascade Mountain foothill.

Luckily, evergreen trees at the summit survived the massive wildfire of 2012.

On Apricot Crisp trail, we ascended through a few flowering apricot trees. "Early settlers probably planted apricot trees because they need less water than apples," Karen said. "And apricot trees produce fruit sooner," I replied.

Wind was howling with 50 mph gusts. Blew me sideways. In places, the steep trail was a leg-burner. After raining the day before, the trail was firm. Previously, it had an inch of choking dust from too many mountain bikers and the Spring drought.

Last week, Karen made a peace sign out of small white rocks on a flat stone beside the trail. It was gone. Someone had kicked off every white pebble down the hill.

"It was probably a gun-totin' redneck who thought you were a liberal snowflake," I told Karen. She laughed.

It was snowing in the Enchantments, 30 aerial miles away. At 4,000 feet elevation, we were 4,000 feet lower than the Enchantments and in sunshine. By afternoon, the Enchantments were blanketed with fresh snow. It was gorgeous.

"Eeek!" Karen screamed, leaping three feet sideways. "I almost stepped on a small rattlesnake!"

Glad to get out of the wind. Spent the evening blissfully reading with my feet elevated.

Photos:

1. Yellow Balsamroots were sacred to the Wenatchii Indians. They boiled and ate the roots.

2. Snowing in the Enchantments (8,000 to 9,000 feet) as we ascended.

3. Shooting Star flowers dancing in the wind. They only flower for a week.

4. Still snowing in the Enchantments from the summit. Trees frame the view.

5. Big seedpod on a small, young Sagebrush.

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Beautiful photos.

Thank's for sharing.

gearl Level 8 Apr 25, 2020

It would be a silly rattlesnake to waste its venom on something it couldn't eat but then again the young ones aren't that wise.

@Surfpirate

Pacific rattlesnakes are non-aggressive. Just don't step on one.

I'm not afraid of snakes.

@LiterateHiker Our Massasauga Rattlers are quite timid as well but definitely not the sort you would ever want to step on, it would be a bad day for both of you.

That sounds like a wonderful hike.

CS60 Level 7 Apr 24, 2020

Wow you hiked for 11.7 miles in high wind and I get winded just going around my block. Maybe I should do it twice.

Yesterday here in south eastern Arizona the winds were gusty, not sure how fast, today its in the 80's

@Thaddeus

Driving home, I heard the weather report on the radio:

"Windy with gusts up to 50 miles per hour."

Wind is even stronger in the mountains.

That sounds like a really nice experience! Did she replace the peace sign ? 🙂

@Buddha

No, we had miles to go. Up...up... up we went.

That is quite the hike 12 miles or approx or approx 19 km,, you must have been out for quite a while and the conditions you described were not that good,,with you size and that wind would not take much to lift you up lol beautiful scenery pics as usual How long were you hiking once you go there?

@RoyMillar

We hiked pretty fast. Descending, I jogged to catch up with Karen.

Subtracting drive time and lunch, it took us about five hours.

Karen spent time clearing out algae growing in an old watering trough for horses and cattle. It is fed from an underground spring. Cattle are no longer allowed.

Karen wants to keep the water clear for her dog Bonnie.

4km per hour is a good clip for going up that type of elevation,,you guys are super fit from how long you have been doing it ,WOW congrats on your acheivments

@RoyMillar

Thank you. As usual, I was carrying a heavy pack.

Since age 21, when I moved to Washington State from Michigan, I have hiked 200-300+ miles/year. Fell in love with the mountains and stayed.

At 71, Karen hikes every day with her dog. At 66, I'm still going strong from hiking twice/week, jogging and weightlifting.

Back on track... they are not going to get you back... right on track... like the song says

How beautiful! The only place I hike is at a local park. No mountains, few wildflowers. You are lucky to be in Washington. 🙂

@BestWithoutGods

Thank you.

I feel lucky to live in Washington State, to have eyes that see, a strong body from exercise, and a heart that soars with the beauty of the mountains.

Love me some liberal snowflakes

@BudFrank

Me, too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:488690
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.