Agnostic.com

14 3

LINK Microsoft Word will now mark two spaces after a period as an error.

I'm a Boomer, learned to type way before computers (I'm older than Google). I am also a switch hitter, sometimes one space after the period, sometimes two. Are you a single spacer or a double spacer?

HippieChick58 9 Apr 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Double-spacer here, at least on personal communication, and I like the way it breaks out the sentences so they're easier to read. My work specs require a single space so I have to compromise there.

Another irritating protocol is Harvard referencing;.use Harvard but refer to the institutions guide lines.

Why can the institutions be so different?

At least APA seems solid, unless of course you know different!🤓

I abhor the double spaces after a full stop. I think it is a hangover from the days of non-proportional spacing on typewriters, where a punctuation mark took up the same space as an "M".

Oh okay, that must be the rationale. Never did know I just thought it was a protocol about ends of sentences, but then I was making that up!

Two spaces at the end of a sentence.

I've tried to conform to the new normal and do one space. My phone requires 2 spaces to give me an automatic capital letter in the next word so I'm looking forward to Google doing the same upgrade.

When did this change. In UK and Australia this has not been an issue. Must be a damned Yankee thing!

Definitely a double spacer. The way it’s always been and the way it always should be!

Seriously though, it needs to be addressed in order that students don’t get marked down with errors if it is not decided at an academic level.

Is not the first , as our language itself will always change.
To follow what is recommended seems conducive
to unity- hey the rules should keep us on the same page.

Doublespacer.

OMG, finally! I’m a writer and editor for work, and I hate having to constantly fix this (it’s always our Boomer folks). This is a welcome change!

PS - Our stuff is all online. Internet writing must always use a single space. You can use double for print.

As an editor I was so fed up with this that eventually I wrote a macro that searched text for double spaces and automatically eliminated one of them.

Two spaces after a sentence. Some programs won't let me put the 2nd space, but I hit the space bar twice anyway. Sentences seem to run on without that extra space.

Hard to change my attitude about that after so many decades of priding myself on proper punctuation and spacing. That is likely because we were taught two spaces in school.

But I won't let it bother me too much and I'm happy that the younger generation will save several minutes of time throughout their lifetimes from not adding that extra space after every sentence. 😉

I use "Pages" rather than "Word" so hopefully, I can continue my outdated habits.

I can only assume that your version of "proper" is confined to a geographical location.

@Petter Proper punctuation for USA... I never learned any different for other geographic locations. I stay true to what I learned, but I could adapt if I needed to fit in to a different way of spacing. I'm happy to be able to keep the habits I learned. 🙂

Single, mostly..lol

Double space after a period or question mark, single space after other punctuation was how I was taught.

MizJ Level 8 Apr 28, 2020

I am So happy I run Android! There is not enough money in the world to get me to go back!!!!!!!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:490346
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.