Agnostic.com

12 15

Washington has proved vote-by-mail improves Democracy. Postage is included.

Republicans have forced Americans to choose between their health and their vote. Washington State citizens know there's a better way.

But instead of taking action that could save lives, Republicans are resorting to their typical scaremongering tactics based on “alternative facts.” Even in the midst of a global pandemic, their newest political boogeyman isn’t a devastating virus. It’s not a cratering economy or a chaotic, bumbling White House devoid of policy expertise and empathy for the people suffering.

No, they’re mobilizing against one thing: making it easier for Americans to vote.

Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel has described voting by mail as a threat to our very democracy. Donald Trump has even taken time out of his coronavirus briefings to attack it as “a very dangerous thing,” despite voting by mail himself as recently as 2018.

Democracy isn’t strengthened by scaring voters or suppressing our voices. Our free system of government works only when everyone has an equal say.

[crosscut.com]

LiterateHiker 9 May 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm a Washingtonian also. Love vote by mail.

Same here in Oregon. Got mine right beside me. I vote as an independent but since i last voted republican, the past years i have to register as one to vote as an independent. I will vote democratic this year but i am hoping for someone strong to step up. If Cuomo would run, i would be with him. I do not like the gaffe ridden biden.

@HerbertNewsam

You voted for the lying, narcissistic Orange Turd?

Yup, but not because i wanted to, i could have voted for hillary...but nada not another Clinton...i was and am hoping the orange turd will be a one termer. He turned out to be a worse turd but i knew he was a turd before i voted. I have never liked him nor have i ever watched anything he was involved with on tv. Of course i havent watched tv in the last 25 plus years. I disliked his father too, i remember the talks i had about his dad with some old mentors of mine in rural Nebraska no less. These guys watched the goings on in business and politics. Old Ed was always on about them.
Yup i voted for the turd...

In Florida, I have voted by mail for 20 years.

I voted by mail on every election in Florida, that frees me up to volunteer to drive people to vote all day long until polls close.

I can add hypocrit to list of names I can that son of bitch.

@freedom41

Who are you talking about? The Orange Turd?

@LiterateHiker yes

It's interesting how other countries, rated more democratic than the US, have voting by mail

What's a real threat is the Republican party. I heard today that Georgia is trying to get this implemented before November. It's so much easier and, best of all, certain polling stations can't be closed. One is sent a ballot long before the actual election date as well as an election pamphlet. No one has any excuse not to vote (aside from laziness).

Wait, the Georgia government wants to vote by mail? Does that include the governor who was previously the Secretary of State in charge of the very election he was running in?

@dkp93 I know I heard this, this morning on NPR. Georgia is mentioned in this report. [npr.org]

@JackPedigo That's a depressing article. I hadn't realized just how long it would take to implement nationwide voting by mail. I guess if Republicans drag their feet long enough, they won't need to make a decision. They can blame it on the companies that can't produce the materials fast enough.

@dkp93 Unfortunately, changes on this magnitude take time. Given the complexity, opposition and sheer numbers it won't be easy or quick. I was a poll worker for 5 years and one thing a lot of us didn't like was that many of the polling stations were in religious places, churches and religious meeting rooms. I suspect that's how it is in most states. With mail-in-voting the church places will lose some way of pushing their beliefs on non-members.

Voting is a very dangerous thing, especially if you vote other than Republican. If they could they would make it illegal t vote for anything but republicans. It is the only way they win, the orange turd even said so. I saw him.

Judging by actions and ignoring their tweets, Republican's policies seem to be encouraging radical population reduction.

As a citizen of Washington state, the voting troubles in the rest of the country truly baffle me. Voting by mail is so easy!

Sometimes I wonder about the types of people who DON'T want voting to be easier. That is, I do understand that they know the math, and that disenfranchising lots of people will secure a victory. But... wouldn't that be a blow to the self-esteem? To know that you suck so bad that you can't win unless only your buddies can vote? To know that most of the people don't want you?

Winning, by any means possible, is the only thing that matters to these ignorant fools.

@jlynn37 Maybe so. I can't see how that would feel good.

I think that I would feel like Stephen King's "Carrie", falsely elected prom queen by a bunch of snakes...and just waiting for that bucket of blood to pour down on my head.

To many of these types, power is what feels good, the rest comes from power.

@Allamanda Read it! Or, really, just watch the movie - that's quicker and heck, you're quarantined anyway, right? Might as well fill a couple of hours with teen angst. 😁

They have enough self esteem and self delusion built in so they are not concerned about having accurate elections. Besides, the people that would vote against them don't matter anyway so they really don't care what they think.

Can't close polling stations in minority precincts if you vote by mail. Can't give the wrong date to vote on by "accident". Can't try and intimidate people from voting.

So yeah, it's dangerous for republicans to vote by mail. But we should have options that don't include wasting paper too.

1of5 Level 8 May 4, 2020

I wonder how that would work...?

Certainly it would be good to use less paper. But, I assume that there are still a fair number of people without reliable internet access, who would need paper ballots. But how do you know who to send ballots to?

Maybe on next year's ballot, there could also be a check-box to indicate that one would prefer to vote online in future elections?

My late husband worked in IT for the county. I wish I had paid more attention to his complaints about election time. (Even paper ballots require a lot of IT support, after all. Those ballots still have to be read and tabulated by something.) I wonder whether online voting would require more IT support, or less.

For a long time many polling stations were in religious places (mine was at a YMCA auditorium. People started to protest that so things started to change and then the state went by mail. As a volunteer for 5 years I saw a lot of stupid things people did when voting. It would be interesting to see how many mail-in votes are rejected because of stupid mistakes.

@AmyTheBruce we still have polling places, just not a lot of them. We should have more than one way to cast our votes. Hell, the reason federal elections are held early November is so that harvests were in and winter weather- which made travel to polling places difficult before cars - hadn't set in yet so voting was as easy as possible.

Why aren't our constitutional "original intent" republicans all over this?

I appreciate the concern for using too much paper and resources, but would it really be a waste if we elect more progressive candidates who actually give a damn about the environment?

The amount of paper wasted is micro miniscule compared to sales and marketing "junk mail". The USPS has literally become a trash redistribution service. The few good things they do should be lauded.

@dkp93 no it wouldnt be a waste and its already been shown to do that. I think electronic voting would enable us to elect more progressive candidates in total by getting more young people to vote.

The harder it is to vote the worse it is for democracy.

Vote by mail is a good thing!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:492435
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.