Agnostic.com

12 0

I used to think that communication was was the key until I realized comprehension is.

You can communicate all you want with someone but if they don’t understand you, its silent chaos.

[iaminspireme.com]

Has anyone researched the BASIC science of communications?
Graphic illustrations are the best.
Forget words.
Teachers talk too much.
Mcflewster

Mcflewster 8 May 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's fascinating how something as simple as communication can get so complicated, right? I couldn't agree more about the importance of collaboration and understanding the dynamics between sender and receiver. In my line of work, I'm in hrdf training, effective communication is absolutely crucial. I've seen firsthand how misunderstandings can lead to all sorts of issues. Your point about the sender having more control over the variables is spot on. It's like a delicate dance where both parties need to find that perfect rhythm. And experimenting until both are happy? That's golden advice. It's all about finding that sweet spot where the message gets across without any misinterpretations.

I totally agree that things can get dicey around step 4, especially when emotions come into play. It's a delicate dance between sender and receiver, and maintaining patience and resilience is key. Your advice about experimenting until both parties are happy is golden. It's all about finding that sweet spot where everyone's on the same page.

I understand why people do give up ( it is Human nature) but we are really more in charge of the variables than we would admit especially if we agree to collaborate. My analysis may or may not help.

BASIC COMMUNICATION ESSENTIALS for GOOD COMMUNICATION. Mainly verbal.

An example of (my own) analysis. This is composed by recalling a lecture (and course) on STRESS MANAGEMENT some 20 years ago without recourse to notes.

1. There has to be a purpose behind the desire to communicate. It could involve guessing, surmising and estimation, but most humans would find it difficult to live together without communication.
  2. A signal of some sort needs to sent out into the space between sender and receiver. It could be smoke, light, paper and printing, sound or elecro-magnetic and liquid /spring waves of any type as long as there is a sensor/translator at each end
  3. It must be strong enough to reach the receiver and have no absorption or reflection in between.
  4. Once at the receiver it must be absorbed by the sensor AND IMPORTANTLY make a change in the receiving apparatus.
  5. Once absorbed the receiver must in some sense and maybe by a different transmission method send a message from receiver to sender that a change has taken place in the receiver.
  6. The sender must be able to absorb and interpret the signal from the Receiver.
  7. Repeat the processes 2 to 6 until the receiver interprets the intended
  8. Repeated testing of the retention by the receiver is necessary if effectiveness of the communication is worth saving for the future
    9 Retention heavily depends on the style of presentation of the sender e.g. Pleasant versus threatening.

Things really start to go wrong badly at No 4, usually when a poor response dismays the sender who may or may not revert to more drastic means in e.g. LOUDNESS, novelty, exaggeration, repetition, insult, praise, flattery, Coercion, lying, bribing {cf politicians}, lose patience.
The responsibility is initially at any rate a joint one between sender and receiver. It then becomes a battle to see who is stronger more resilient or patient. However the sender probably has more control over the variables of sending listed above. Then the receiver can change variables in their own way and alter the course of any agreement necessary.
The best advice for preventing a ding-dong between sender and receiver is to experiment until both are happy.

Source:

not available

I'm sure that the way people communicate is important....what is really important to me is finding people that want to communicate, and not so much just want to have their say, thats important also, just not in the realm of communicating where the interest is in the exchange of ideas, with the intent of getting to know each other.

I understand how you and many others feel.Surely we should concentrate on getting what we want to say accross and not just go on complaining about religion. Us being tagged as grumpy will never change the mind of religionists.

wrt meaningful communication, I contend that misunderstanding is typically incredibly easy, and (real) understanding is typically incredibly hard. 😮 😛

"misunderstanding is typically incredibly easy" Surely that is because your communication has not been sufficiently secure. Dual responsibility!

Perfect example: drump and anybody who actually knows anything!

If we really know something and by that I mean using science (at least until better science comes along) then we should be proud of that. I would be proud of a president who WAS a scientist. Question your canditates

Communication with those who are not open and curious is mostly a waste of time.

As someone once said “The meaning of communication is the response you get!”

Communication implies a two (or more) way exchange of information involving comprehension on all sides as a given.
Sending out ideas (or indeed nonsense) in to the world that is incomprehensible is not communication in any sense of it is at best blustering and at worse simply a cacophony.
Those incapable of comprehending should make that fact known so as not to waste their time and that of their interlocutor when a more appropriate more simple form of the same communication maybe be forthcoming.

The problem with putting it that way is it seems to imply that a failure in communication is the other person's failure to find the same value in your observations that you do. While they may not comprehend your words, have you comprehended theirs?

Each person is a world unto themselves and good communication is that which does not fail to translate between those worlds.

This is good. I would add that there is dual responsibility from both sender and receiver. How do we increase that shared responsibility?

@Mcflewster well we can begin with the part directly under our control. Feedback what one hears the other person as having said to check our comprehension. If they don't do the same when we speak ask what they heard you as saying. Of course this won't necessarily be possible with everyone. It is okay to decide it isn't working and to move on. I'm assuming this isn't someone with whom you already have had an extensive relationship?

@MarkWD "the part directly under our control." surely this part depends upon how desperate we want to communicte either by increasing the volume, number of separate copies, sent to how many different people or pay or how far you are going to lie or co-erce .(Darwin Forbid). Did not a certain billionaire try to communicate "Make me the president" with millions of wasted dollars recently?. Are we willing to pay to convert lots of Christians in America. I will give something even to a country not of my birth land.

Right, telling and saying doesn't always equal effective communication.

That involves feedback, observation and understanding the audience.

MsAl Level 8 May 8, 2020

Communication implies comprehension, but it is easy enough to think the other person understands you when they don't. I've found this a frequent problem when talking to other so called english speaking peoples, eg americans and poms. They or I might understand the words, but the other pragmatics of speech such as emphasis and pronunciation can cause confusion. Eg you think they are asking a question when they may be making a statement. Written language is much less confusing.

" Written language is much less confusing" I would prefer to word it

"Written language is much less or more confusing depending on a whole host of variables in the sender and the receiver".

"Communication implies comprehension" Disagree. Comprehension cannot take place until communication is secure.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:493706
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.