Agnostic.com

6 2

50 years ago 3 girls who were living in a youth hostel moved into a huge 6 bedroom house. They decided they wanted to lease the rest of the house out to males but not ones they were attracted to, to avoid problems. So they chose 3 boys that they thought were nice but had no desire for whatsoever and asked them to share. Those 3 girls married the 3 boys (my cousin was one) and 50 years later their marriages are still solid.
What do you think this says about our ideas of what is desireable and who we are attracted to?

Cyklone 7 May 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it says we all are so conditioned by society, the media, our upbringing, even our genetics and a myriad of other influences that it's impossible to who we truly are or what is beyond the superficialities of life.

That if you have regular exposure to someone, an attraction can grow - even if it wasn't there initially.

Yes, but that attraction has to grow out of more than just exposure and on average it can go either way. I think we've all been exposed to a few people we grew to despise

@Cyklone I said an attraction CAN grow - not that it's automatic - yes ?

@evergreen yes! 😁

I'm pretty sure that if more women spent time with us unattractive guys they would like us.

Except for the incredibly rigid & self-centered ones,

Agreed. Attractiveness will get a person across the room but not keep them talking and unfortunately these days attractiveness is linked to body size. One of my favourite movies was Shallow Hal. Do you remember it?

@AnneWimsey are you saying I'm incredibly rigid and self-centered?

@Cyklone Shallow Hal is a touching fable and moral lesson, but it is not based in reality as far as my observation and experience with attraction have been. The movie provides a new way of looking at attraction, but that is not how people are wired.

Dont believe this is true, but even if you're just looking for "the moral of the story" remember that the expectations for what makes a good marriage, and a good partner, have changed (an understatement) since 1970.

It is true, but I'm not surprised you don't believe it. I think you're right about expectations, although who knows the mind of a millenial. However, although expectations may change, I don't think that the elements of what makes a good relationship are different.

Why did they want to lease the rest of the house to males?

Cause they could fix things and provide a degree of protection, they said. They said they were after "brotherly" types.

Being around someone without expectations allows you to actually get to know them.

I think that you've nailed it.

@Cyklone surecwish I could swim better, lol!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:493718
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.