Agnostic.com

25 6

Changing times

Do you think atheist will out number the religious people someday? If we did away with god, religion all together, the world would be a better place for everyone.

freedom41 9 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We are on our way...we grow everyday.

hopefully in more ways than one

depends how the atheists behave . perhaps god will be replaced by outright greed. maybe it is already ?

If we look at the increasing numbers of Atheists....we may say eventually mankind will be saved from mythology....but this will happen centuries from today.

See, mankind used to believe the tides were the result of Poseidon' s rage...when the effect of the moon on the tides was "discovered" humans discarded Poseidon from their daily prayers...but it took a long time for this cultural change to happen. The same will happen when mankind discovers there is not a God with whom to share a cup of coffee / to ask for favors.

It might take a while, but it's trending toward it

Nope. We're all doomed to be saddled with the delusional for perpetuity. The human race can't die off fast enough, along with their delusions.

@AMGT "I think I'll go for a walk outside now." 😉

Religion and all its myths WILL eventually disappear in most places. See what's happening in Europe and even in the US, as young people, recognizing the nonsense, drop it all together. The only thing which worries me is that religions are stepping up their "BREED!" programs, trying to (a) increase the faithful and 🍺 increase the revenues from the faithful.

I love living in times when it's OK to speak out against theism and all its nonsense and to find so many others who share the same dedication to reason and the aversion to DOGMA.

I have noticed that every generation has more atheists than the previous generation, so hopefully it's going to evolve it's way out as time progresses

Yes it wood. Fundamental sects of different Abrahamic religions will see population growth. We will have more non-believers as well.

No, imo atheism is just another form of religion--or anti-religion, if you will, the other side of the coin. Perhaps some day far into the future, all religions and anti-religions will be gone, but perhaps not. However, I do believe that spirituality will survive.

marga Level 7 Apr 3, 2018

I do believe we are well on our way and yes the world would be a better place. The non religious don't have any religious constraints againt helping the less fortunate because we don't tell ourselves God is punishing them and they deserve it etc. We tend to do what is right without an agenda like getting into heaven and scoring brownie points with our religious leaders. They say we are roughly 30% of the population now with many labeling themselves as nons but not actively taking the titles of agnostic or atheists. Still they do not identify with any religiouns so I count them as our own.

Indeed it would be.

Atheist outnumber religious? I sadly doubt it. Many religions such as Catholics mandate high birth rates and require married couples to promise to go forth and multiply and have their children raised in accordance with the rules of the church. i.e. those children will have more children. Etc. In the meantime, rational people aware of the costs of overpopulation, may have the morality (not the god likes definition but the least harm definition) may choose not to have children.

Question 2:
If we did away with god, religion all together?? . . .” If you includ, If all members of society learned to value facts over fiction (thus extinguishing faith (the foundation of religion (no evidence to support so no god))) and include the creation of a rational, scientifically literate public, yes I believe we would live in a better world.

I looked at the stats earlier, for people who go to church in england, - The church of england is just a diagonal line downwards - every other church is failing too France is the most atheistic country in Europe ,England is the tenth, Norway is the most godless.

At least some of Europe is seeing the light. Hopefully the USA will follow France and Norways example.

Yes, I do think the rise of the "nones" will continue to grow and we will eventually become the majority. I believe many people searching for truth and answers will become enllightened and will skip religiosity, with its dogma, guilt and shame. And the the world will be a better place in that respect.

Knowledge will mean the end of religion. But if society collapses, another dark age, more religion.

You may be right, but perhaps it will be a humanistic religion, rather than a supernatural one. I believe humankind is ready to accept natural reality and an updated set of human ethics, even if framed in a mythos understood as a mythos, and used lift up human values.

I can't imagine it would be worse. There would still be greed, race, and the desire for power to keep human beings treating other human beings badly and

No.

Already do in some countries France is the most Atheist in Europe.

That argument has been debunked in history. An atheistic government (e.g. Communism) is not the answer to our problems: atheistic government has killed, tortured, brainwashed (with ideals) and been a proponent of human immorality as much as any other human institution, religious or otherwise. The human problem is not a matter of religion, people use religion or atheism to do whatever their hearts want to do. The problem is human nature, or sinful nature.

Religion will never go away, in fact, I bet we'll see purges of Atheists in the not-too-distant future.

I agree.

I'd say no because god is all powerful and he who claims that god is on his side, god is with him, is a god, claims to have the power of god behind him. In a void of no religion someone will step up and claim to have the power of god behind him, in him or with him in order to wield control over others through fear that the power of god will smite those who resist god's chosen.

SamL Level 7 Apr 3, 2018

It would be a nice dream, but like most dreams, they rarely come true.

Gohan Level 7 Apr 3, 2018

Reasons to start wars. I am sure with our imaginations we will come up with more. Sorry l hit the wrong spot.🙂

Would it though?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:49422
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.