Agnostic.com

53 15

Does anything about being in an atheist or agnostic social network provide comfort?

This will probably seem antagonistic, but I don't mean it that way. I first stumbled into the social network world back in the days of "newsgroups" in the early 90's. Mostly, the groups I belonged to were professional or hobby oriented. Like the current genre--including agnostic.com, Facebook, twitter, etc), any time a discussion became about anything other than fixing or designing equipment I found it to be . . . discomforting. I have to wonder if there is something flawed about this medium that causes people to jump to attack mode without any concern for offending others, making enemies, and being the loudest voice in the room?

I'm 72 and still learning about myself, including discovering what the "I" in INTP meant for the direction my life took, a little of what losing my mother when I was 9 (and she was 34) did to my life, and how much it cost me to live most of my life in the shadow of Midwestern religion and superstition. No going back, of course, but I wonder what the value of the social networking is to others. Is it a comfort or does it just stoke the fires of existing passions? Do you feel better knowing there are people with similar (lack of) beliefs or is it confusing and discomforting to find that there are people who have apparently escaped the irrationally of superstition but cling to every other unproven and harmful traditional value?

To be honest, the current social distancing climate is fine with me. I have not found many people who contribute much to my life. I've been married for 50-some years and have a small but loving family and if I lost that I would have no problem becoming a hermit. So, it's a stretch for me to imagine how all of this is suppose to add value.

TWDay 4 May 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments (51 - 53)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For much of my life I considered myself a Christian and believed that after I die I'd go to either Heaven or Hell. This was always a worry since I was not entirely sure which would be my final destination. I almost never went to church nor prayed and I certainly never tried to convert anyone to Christianity.

Now, I'm an atheist. I believe... and am reasonably certain... that there is nothing after death. Though to some degree this makes me sad I no longer worry about the afterlife. No fiery Hell awaits me nor an oppressive Heaven in which I'm simply a lobotomized version of my self.

To me this is a truly great Site for friendship, conversation, discussion and the like, absolutely NONE better imo.

I grew up in the Midwest in a small country town. Many times I felt the need to lie about my beliefs So that I wouldn't be alienated any more than I already was. Even at his young age I knew that I didn't believe in the idea of a god as close as to the age of 5. The people around me made me question that until teenage years when i became unashamed of my thoughts on the subject. Unfortunately every single person around me did. I also seem to always meet people that are religious and have been in relationships with women that do believe.

Not many people I've known in my 34 years of life don't believe in something I find to be irrational. I'm glad to know there's a place where I can at least feel like I'm not alone with this.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:495622
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.