Agnostic.com

11 6

I have raised my children to choose their own path.

This is in the form of religion. They know my thoughts on things which are fairly close to their mothers. My oldest is atheist. My middle I don't think she even knows what she is. My youngest son has decided to become a minister. Which has made me think about what is it that causes someone to become religious? Would a typical atheist/agnostic be upset if their child became religious?

Fulishsage 6 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I raised my daughter to think and to question, not to accept something told to her just because it came from someone in a position of authority. I think that an atheist view was expected because the entire family is atheist.

I know someone, brought up catholic , who is extemely atheist and whose close relation was a Cardinal. I met this holy man and he was so self centred it was painful being anywhere near him.

I have 7 children, ages 26-38. they have each chosen very different paths. my eldest daughter and her husband pretend to be very religious. I have 2 reform jews, 2 who couldn't care less, and 2 atheists. I love them all equally, and accept their decisions. however, 2 of my son in laws are practicing Christians, and feel that my family will burn in hell!

I have 3 children and not one is baptised. I ithink you should be older than a baby to be baptised because they can choose and also remember it. I also didnt want to pigeon-hole them into feeling they are something just because I said so.

I did the same. They are both agnostics by choice.

My husband and I purposely did not raise our children to believe or not believe anything. We wanted them to figure it out for themselves. Our oldest is an atheist and our youngest is an agnostic. If they had decided to become religious we would have been okay with that, because it was ultimately their choice.

That's what we where going for as well.

I was the same and both my boys are none believers. I wouldn't be upset but curious.

We have raised our children the same. I have one atheist and one that was a believer for a while but is making her way over to the other side. I am agnostic, my husband is an athiest.

We all have to decide for ourselves what makes sense in this world. If rhey believe there is a God, I am ok with that as long as they don't spend there time bashing us on our choices. Faithful or faithless, I just hope they are good, kind, happy people.

He understands what I think and believes his church needs to quit bashing on people for others believe differently. That's one reason he wants to become a minister.

Most people are indoctrinated at an early age, with no say-so in the matter. This is a heinous act and is tantamount to brainwashing. Of course, some will arrive at the conclusion religion is the answer to all unanswered questions, but most will not. Religion is a social pressure best resisted.

The interesting part to me is he had no friends at the church, so social pressure couldn't have been an issue. He just decided to try out church one day with another non church going friend.

Understood. However, religious doctorine is an insidious force and is pervasive in many facets of our lives. Social pressure to conform (at least in America) is every where you look.

I did the same. My older daughter has cp and special needs; she went to live with her father and his wife who are both born again Christians. My ex was a blackout drinker who didn't even go to church-Congregational Church. Somehow he talked my Jewish born daughter into being baptized without telling me about it. She also considers herself a Wican and a psychic. My younger daughter had a non-religious father and me a Cultural Jew who brought her up to be a freethinker. She is a pro-gun conspiracy theorist who dropped out of High School at 17. Believes in nothing. Go figure.

Strange how it works out.

I have always taught my children to do what works for them. There can be comfort in religion for many people. Life can be incredibly hard sometimes, if that helps them get thru it, good for them. I don't believe any of them would ever proselytize as they respect others rights to find what works.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:49615
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.