Agnostic.com

30 60

My direct admission at covid unit two nights ago came from the woods , no social security number , no medical records , no nothing . A Hispanic man of low 30s , a “ working in a farm “ man , while wife working at the meat plan of same area . My guy was in terrible shape respiratory ways . Placed in high flow and 100%, and still barely delivering a 95% saturation . An x ray and CT reveled what we knew pretty much , swabs done , cardiac monitors , tests / protocols / blah blah blah and etc . My guy does not speak a word of English , and blue phone was in effect along w iPad system where the live interpreter translate both us and him . It took us a good 2 hrs to stabilize everything and obtain everything that needs to be done b4 we can turn the lights down and let him rest . I got back into his room later that night and got my phone in a zip lock bag and turned google translator on . I asked him if I need to speak w wife or his brother , who I understand that he speaks some English ? He refused . Said to tell anyone that might call that he is doing ok . I ask him if he is hungry , said yes . The shit that we have fir this occasions for late snacks , are for the birds , really . A cold turkey swc , and a fruit cup , I ate one 6 yrs ago and I camped in the bathroom for 3 hrs . So we send a wonderful male nurse to wawa at 0200, and he came back w hot Mac and cheese and a Mexican style pizza ♥️
My guy ate few bites , so difficult for him to hold / chew / swallow / breath . I found my self cutting everything in tiny bites and feeding him like a little bird . W every bite , he gave me a smile and a signal that ok and ready for the next bite . I can’t take off my respirator and he can’t see me smiling , so I drew a smile back in the air ea time too . I told him on my phone that I am half italian and half greek , and that my ass did not speak 10 words of English too when I came in usa in 1995 . I took his hand and we stayed there , I told him he is doing good , that I ve seen many many people recovering from this the last 7 weeks . In reality , I know that he has a long way ahead of him and I have no f clue how he will respond to anything we do . Then he told me in English , u are good person . I told him on my phone , no , I am a huge asshole , but I am his mom now and he is wise to call mother “ a good person “. He laughed . That causes us to bump him up at 40 L for a minute , but ok ! I drew more blood out of him later and trwds the morning , enough blood to saturate a wash cloth , not once he complained or bitched . He asked me for nothing , was thankful of everything , and refused morphine . I explained that I want him to have some to ease his breathing and heart rate , he said , no , my mom will kill me , no drugs . I visited again at report time and told him I ll be off for a day but I will return and he better be here waiting for me . Then , at 0730, he asked me ,” m I gonna die from this “?
I told him , u ain’t dying today . How about that ? And u ain’t dying tmrw either , Bcz I ll be back and no kids of mine aloud to die dude . Too lazy to do all this f paperwork if u die . So no . It’s not about u , it’s about me 😂
He laughed . W Mother’s Day just days ago , I am still sitting in bed this afternoon ( f lazy and tired ), typing all this shit for u guys to read , thinking , I am a mother after all . My kids are all type of ages , colors , shapes and attitudes . My kids give me sorrow and wrinkles and anxiety and make me wanna drink dangerous amounts of coffee . But I love them . All of them . Even the drunk rude assholes who try to hit my staff ..I love them too . We are into this shit tghr . The citizens , the illegals , the rich and the poor , all we have it’s ea other and some of us have nobody . I dream of the days and I hope I am alive to see , that all these is behind me , and my lazy ass can sit back at ER and bitch and complain about gun shots and drug deals that went wrong at 0200. I dream that people will be employed again and not worry where the next rent or mortg or food it’s coming from . I have to dream and hope Bcz that’s what I always do and that’s how I keep going . Feed the squirrels guys and who ever the hell u can . Love u all ♥️

Pralina1 9 May 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Stay safe and I hope he recovers. Take care of yourself as well I can not even begin to imagine what it must be like.

I am , no worries ♥️. Stay safe , feed your squirrels as well ♥️♥️♥️

@Pralina1 No squirrels I feed chickens, possums and wallabies.

I am in absolute awe of you.
I fucking adore you.
You're a truly amazing human being.
If I ever grow up, I want to be just like you.

(((((((((YOU))))))))

I miss u .
I was thinking of u and Georgia a week ago .
Also was thinking of u again 3 days ago , I informed a coworker that I ll give him a black eye ( joke , kinda ..), if he does something on a pt of mine , and when another one said ,” I ll bail h out “, I thought , of u , Cleo , Shirley and Anna ( life time friends ), who I have $$$ account in case I need to bail u out guys ! Absolutely !
I miss u 🙁

@Pralina1 I miss you, too. Please stay safe. Take care of you.

You are a Angel sweety he is lucky to have a caring compassionate caregiver

bobwjr Level 10 May 15, 2020

Feed the squirrels Bob !♥️

You are a good person and thank you for all that you do to care for others.

Feed the squirrels sweetie ♥️

Can't stop {{{ crying }}} ... everyone else has said it better, but thank you for being you, and being an extraordinary, loving mother to everyone. I'm in awe of you, too.

And will feed the squirrels ♥️ Lauren ♥️♥️♥️

You are truly an angel of mercy.. I hope you stay well during this horrific mess.

U too ma’am ♥️ Let’s feed the squirrels 🙌

I was going to tell you how much I admire your dedication to your patients, but, I think I'll just feed the squirrels. ❤

Yes !!!!!!! 🙌🙌🙌♥️♥️♥️😂😂😂

Like your combination of empathy, reflectiveness...and loving snark!

That was pretty wonderful. Please be safe and take care of yourself. The world needs more people like you. 💙

Wegonnamakeit 🙌♥️. Stay healthy and safe dear , w smiles too ♥️♥️♥️

Full of admiration for you my dear...you are a wonderful caring individual. ❤️ 🤗

I can’t wait for your morning music selection ms Marion . U ve been the best company dj every morning on the way back home . THANK U for your energy and love . Stay safe pls . I know u feed all of us squirrels every day w beautiful music 🙌♥️♥️♥️

Some recent posts have pondered the value of this site in general. That is a silly question now. I love your stream of consciousness writing. As to the content I think all the previous comments have said it better than I can. Thou art good.

♥️♥️♥️

Pralina...YOU ARE MY HERO! Thanks so much for sharing this! I wish we all could help you during a long, scary night with someone who has no idea if they'll live or die!

As an aside here--I help at Planned Parenthood and am always so grateful for the ''telephone translators'' and the help they give! Imagine needing intimate physical care and not speaking English? At first, I only used the translators to give basic instructions, but over the years....I find myself using them increasingly to console, to comfort and to even give compliments, when I see someone needs them.

There are ''mothers'' and there are ''mothers'' and, I always say...."Once a mom...always a mom." xoxo to you!

PS....Pralina....how is he today? And...how are you?

Thank u for this . I know u feed squirrels , I know it ♥️
I am going in now , I will see him in few . I got tacos in my bag 😂😂😂

Hospital patients who can't have visitors are lucky that there are compassionate people like you in the world and in position to be there. Thank you for you message and for the reminder that all of our differences are pretty fucking insignificant in the end.

JimG Level 8 May 15, 2020

Yes . We r exactly what u wrote . Non importante in the big picture . All we have is what we share ♥️

Nice work there, mom.

♥️♥️♥️

Good post. Sort of reminds me of the kindness I experienced while hospitalized from Aug 26 to Sep 4 2019 due to diabetic ketoacidosis, which came close to killing me. The hospital I live close to is an excellent one with caring staff. Due to experiencing a few low blood sugars while hospitalized, they had to give me some snacks, some of which you mentioned above. You're part Italian huh? My mother's side of the family is all Italian. Things will gradually get better, might take some time. Lastly, you don't fool us Pralina, we know you're a good person, even if you don't want to admit such. I tip my hat to you, the world could always use more compassionate individuals like you.

Spike , I know u feed the squirrels , u can’t fool me either 🥰
Glad u survived and glad u are alive 🙌

Beautiful case. I was about to cry here.
I have worked with MANY men and women like your patient. Such a wonderful, genuine, hard working people. Please keep us updated on his case.
You are awesome!!! I bet 2020 is something historical for your profession (for any I know, but you are right there, directly dealing with it).
💕🥂

Wegonnamakeit , and we gonna make it in style and with smiles 🙌 . Pls give Thor a big kiss from me . I know he is comforting u and he is your “ squirrel “. I missed u . ♥️

Wonderful story, Pralina! Thanks!!

♥️♥️♥️

Huge respect to you for your humanity. Makes my eyes water. Thank you, thank you.

Hi Ms jolanta ! Wegonnamakeit ♥️🙌 I know u feed squirrels , stay safe ma’am ♥️

Thank you for taking the time to give us a glimpse from the inside. Your compassion and extra effort you took to be comforting with this man, could easily have made the difference between a survivor and a victim. I think the psychological factors are so underrated in their impact.

♥️♥️♥️We can do it , wegonnamakeit 🙌🙌🙌. Stay safe and feed your squirrels sweetie ♥️♥️♥️

Thank you for posting this and for being you.

That was a fantastic story. It's why I still trust and appreciate many health care professionals.

Thank you.

OMG.. Such a moving story.. I cried so much reading this.. Thank you mother...

Thanks for all you do. I’m sure your patients also thank you.

I know you have to wear a mask and other PPE. There are some artists who will take a photo of your smiling face and print it onto your face shield. It seems to help patients know that they’re being cared for by a human being and not some space alien. Rachel Maddow did a feature on this on MSNBC the past week.

P.S. I’m from the Gulf Coast, so I love pralines.

That’s a great idea ! Thank u ♥️
Some times , and if the patient is well enough , I pull a picture on my phone of me and tell them that I am a real person under all these , just a little uglier 😂. And they laugh . 🙌
I love pralines ♥️😂♥️. Stay safe and healthy . Wegonnamakeit .

Nothing but respect for you!!😎

We can do it ♥️♥️♥️

Wow, I’m kinda at a loss for words. Thanks for sharing. I hope he makes it through; I’m sure you’ll do what you can to make that happen.
Pleas keep us posted

CS60 Level 7 May 16, 2020

Thank u for caring ♥️ Pls stay safe and healthy too ♥️♥️♥️

Great attitude! Thank you for helping those in need. And thank you for the good thoughts. I hope your patient improves and beats this.

Me too , and he is stable and breathing so much better tonight 🙌♥️ . Stay safe and healthy ma'am, we can do this ♥️

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:496213
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.