Agnostic.com

17 7

Awkward moments

How do you deal with people with opposing views? I recently got a new job, my boss is a flat earther and believes in other right wing conspiracy theories (birther) He's a nice guy, but still

soa 4 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sometimes I am interested to know what the stories are, what shaped this person's view and makes them believe as they do. I will respectfully ask sometimes. Beliefs can also shift with experience and the exchange of ideas. I will share my own thoughts if the person is open and maybe we both learn something.

Research: Street Epistemology.

Not that I agree with flat earth at all, but all conspiracys are considered false until proven correct. I quick google search of proven ones will make you think.

I don't doubt that, but flat earth and birther? It's not like we're talking about JFK or something, today flash of brilliance was using the bible to prove the earth was flat, it's starting to make my head hurt.

Try to do your job till you search for another one. Keep a safe distance from your boss.

It's a family run resturant located in North Podunk Canada, so my options are very limited, other to smile and nod, and then binge the wackiness on social media, hey at least it's entertaining

soa Level 4 Apr 4, 2018

What a hoot you are

You can alway stake notes and write a satirical book, movie or story based on the whacky ideas.

What I really wonder aobut is how do such persons end up beign in charge in the first place?

I don't engage with conspiracy theorists and flat earthers about their beliefs, it's too frustrating and and complete waste of my time.

Wow that would be hard. My boss is a devout Christian that’s bad enough. I don’t know if I could deal with yours

I try to avoid talking about it. I don't know if I could survive with a flat earther though...

Once I had a coworker who went on a rant that all muslims are trying to kill us and I just..."Susan 85% of our coworkers are muslims...for fucks sake your cardiologist is a muslim!"

And you're sure he's not just pulling your leg for fun? Most people keep controversial views to themselves at the work place, don't they? I don't know, I'm self employed and I don't, haha! I would think that companies would adhere to a religion/politics free zone in the work place. If not, perhaps you could suggest it. (Anonymously?) Save that, just say "I think something differently, but this isn't the place for that discussion." And hope he doesn't make life tough for you at work. That is awkward, for sure!

Smile and nod a lot. Talk about cool science articles you read often. Change the subject often, too. lol

Condolences. It's absolutely not work appropriate unless your working for a Flat Earther Group. Or some conspiracy group.

I can't imagine spouting something like that in a work place.

I have had bosses and workmates that talk about politics and religion at work as if everyone around them agrees with them. I generally just change the subject or make an excuse to leave the room.

For bosses I use the interested but not that interested approach which includes nodding to show that I’m listening, responses like “oh really”, “uhu” and “wow I had no idea” but never add any substance to the conversation. Then I break off the subject with a work topic as soon as possible.

Me, 2.

You don’t talk about that stuff. Period.

Why is he vomiting/pooping at work?! That's unprofessional & uncool.?

Emme Level 7 Apr 4, 2018

Let sleeping dogs lie

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:49697
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.