Agnostic.com

30 10

LINK Utah Decriminalizes Polygamy with Near Unanimous Support by Legislators - Daily Citizen

I didn't know this:

Polygamy was a core doctrine of Mormanism. It was only abandoned by the LDS under threat of confiscation of all church property by the federal government. But there is a subculture within the LDS that still follows polygamy. Many in that group think you cannot get to heaven if you don't practise polygamy.

It's not the Biblical vision of marriage, is it?

Jetty 7 May 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Can I have many husbands? I like the ones with power tools and big lawn machines and knowledge of farming and fencing.

@Jetty We'll build a moat!

Who cares as long I'm in heaven!

The LDS I would never trust, as far as other forms of polygamy I might be alright with it, if I had some more info that is...

There’s still a federal statue against polygamy.

[billofrightsinstitute.org]

There's also a federal statute against marijuana. The question is, how much do we want the Feds sticking their noses into the business of consenting adults, providing nobody's getting hurt? Especially when there's so much right now that they should be doing that's much more important....

@Paul4747 Well, enforcing the constitution and the statutes drawn from it is kind of important. For example, without cases like Miranda vs Arizona or Gideon vs Wainwright, the state’s could violate the rights of the citizens without recourse. That’s why it’s important. You may think that polygamy is alright, but there’s a darker side to this kind of thing. Warren Jeff’s is an example of that.
I grew up in SLC. The crazy polygamists from southern Utah were well known. The LaBaron family was notorious. One of those rabid LaBarons killed several attorneys and officers at the county courthouse when I was in college. There’s also the problem of family assistance being abused by these families. I could care less how consenting adults conduct themselves, and I think Reynolds was particularly wrong with regard to fundamental family units, but that’s immaterial. If you want the law changed, change it. Go to the federal government and have it changed.

@SeaGreenEyez so child sexual enslavement is ok. It’s religious feeedom?

@SeaGreenEyez I wasn’t jumping to conclusions.

@SeaGreenEyez It’s factually associated. How’s that nonsensical?

@SeaGreenEyez [epubs.utah.edu]

@SeaGreenEyez factually incorrect? Really? Tell that to the teenage wives in Hilldale and Colorado city who have been traded between polygamist families and forced into unwanted marriages or the teenage boys that have been kicked out of their homes because the older gents don’t want the competition. They’re literally homeless and unprepared for life in general. There are plenty of articles besides this plus numerous legal assessments from Utah state. But perhaps you just missed that we were talking about a friggin Utah state statute that addresses these particular groups who are quite literally outside the law, and now are encouraged to continue operations with the tacit approval of Utah state. Not Goa, not Guatemala, not khazakstan, not Iceland ... but Utah. Im sure there is some polygamist group that doesn’t abuse kids, but Warren Jeffs and his ilk are not among those. And when you generate a statute that pointedly doesn’t address the crap in Hildale, then you’re morally responsible for your negligence.

Talk about fucking up the gene pool.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:497938
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.