Agnostic.com

6 3

[vice.com]

Landlords can't evict their tenants so they're shutting off utilities and threatening them instead. WTF!!!!!!

#WTF
sassygirl3869 9 May 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

And then what. If the tenants are forced to leave will there be anyone else that can take their places? Doubt it.
I do realize a lot of 'owners' (landlords is a hold over from the days of landed gentry and should not be used in a democratic egalitarian system) also have bills to pay including taxes and utilities. I wonder if it is the owner shutting off the utilities or the utility companies or a combination of both.
This will be a hard time for many especially all those that have lost their homes through disaster.

These heartless landlords will always be with us unfortunately!

That's a load of crap. This country is going further in the crapper with each passing day. We need to find a cure soon and not share it with the polititions.

The whole system is so sick. Not all landlords are corporations or rich folks. Some landlords are like my mom, she is 74 and her whole income is from two modest rental properties, four apartments total. And if they miss a couple of payments, she starts missing payments on her bills. The banks need to be forgiving her debts, if she can forgive the debts to her. It needs to be happening from the top down.

And . . . my bit of venting here: I've known and loved folks from in the industry - but morally, financial services is generally the darkest and most vile business to be in. To make money simply by moving money around? They contribute nothing to humanity. A cleaning person, a plumber, an artist, a teacher, a cop, a sales clerk . . . pretty much anything adds more to the world than simply making money off the margins of manipulating money. That makes one a parasite on the human race.

This financial collapse we are in? It needs to be corrected from the top down, not the bottom up.

Sadly this time and in the 2008 fiasco, the money flows the other way. The very wealthy get served first, those most in need get leftovers.

the police can be called. they can't shut off jtilities.

This is inhuman and I am a landlord. I hate that term, landlord as I am lord of nothing and responsible for all. But at least it has been fun.

I kept my house by moving another family in who had trouble paying the rent. I was not social services. I had to sell my house in a short sale. I had to declare bankruptcy fighting them in court. Never would be a landlord again.

@sassygirl3869 I am having to sell this house, I am in a different position. I live in a destination place, beautiful and a great place to retire. That is why we are here, to retire, well to work at a job I love while Kate plays at retirement. We started living here sharing the mortgage with Kates Mother, who moved away after three months. As long as Kate had a job all was well but then the 2008 hit and all hell broke loose. Since then we have not been able to afford to live here, but in robbing, peter to pay paul. We live between downtown and the local hospital, so once it goes on the market it should sell fast. We have to go somewhere else - at this point that is our problem but there are options. We will come out of the sale with some money, we are hoping for what it appraises for.

@dalefvictor -I had a balloon mortgage taken out before my cancer. I never caught up being on disability for 7 years. So sorry for your situation.

@sassygirl3869 It is ok we have known for some time we would arrive here. I just hope we can get some land and a small manufactured home to put on it.

Thank you. I mentioned this term in my comment. In Germany the term is simply 'owner.' To me this is something pushed by the heavy handed property rights people.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:498217
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.