Agnostic.com

30 7

Delicate Procedure; Un-Brainwash

I have a rather delicate situation and would very much appreciate some thoughtful input.

My youngest child, she is 12, just informed me last night that she cries for me every night. She prays for me, as well.

I responded as nicely as I could, while silently raging at religion's idiocy.

She is a kind hearted, intelligent child. She is just very brain washed.

I have given her questions to ponder and ask at her church. Questions that should trouble her mind until they cause her to have a reality check.

Questions such as, "If the world is only 6,000 years old, where did this Neanderthal Genetics, that showed up in my test results come from? They died out around 30,000 years ago."

Any help, advice, or further curiosity causing questions are all welcomed.
Thank you!

Donotbelieve 9 Apr 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Maybe say something like this: If your god truly is a loving God then he will find a place for me in your heaven, because without me there what kind of heaven would that be. I would certainly hate to go to a place where people I love weren't there too and if I'm made to forget them that would be a really dirty trick don't you think?

I think asking questions is the only option. Not too much against religion (you don't have to avoid it though) just firing her interest and her thinking. Try to find out what her picture of god is, where heaven is, but also why does god not help people, etc., etc.

Gert Level 7 Apr 4, 2018

She investigates and based on the information she gets, she decides what works for her and what not. That's the main goal of puberty, isn't it. Don't over-push though, because if you push these young adolescents in a certain direction you have quite a chance they go the opposite.

Hypocracy. I'd sit down for a while and make a list of all those you can think of until you have a few to work with. Judgement comes right to mind. How does it work when they tell you not to judge others, that will be gods work in the end. Then as they preach they go through all the life choices one can make that they'll tell you will send you to hell. There's a long list to fill up a well there alone. Magic. How do you preach against the practice of magic while the son of god performs so many miraculas acts of a magical sense? He is a loving forgiving god, thou shalt not kill. While the bible is loaded with death and distruction by his own command. And will end time on this earth with death and distruction before sending us to hell. That's a loving forgiving god!?! Explain how christianity has killed so many in the past. ECT

That may be a little deep for a 12 year old. There have to be some interesting books out there on non-belief directed at that age group I would think. Depending on where the child is getting thumped on the head by the bible and how much pressure they are putting on her to feel bad for you, she is already in a quandary. Pushing back too hard could have negative effects for her right now.

@Barnie2years it will take a moms touch.

Don't push, or tug. That's what the religious guys do, and by doing so, you are falling into their playbook. Just give her things to think about, things that interlock with good logic and let them percolate.

One question to ask and let her ponder (no answer necessary) is what is wrong such that she needs to pray for you? Are you unhappy, and thus in need of her help? I mean, she is trying to help you, but she's using a method you don't appreciate. If you let her realize that just being atheist doesn't mean you are unhappy, and that her prayers are apprecaited, but unnecessary (tell me you don't appreciate her being concerned for you?) then maybe, just maybe she'll realize that the prayers don't do anything for anyone but her... in fact, that is another question, does praying, thinking, about the situation help HER to feel better? If so... where is the harm in thinking about it (how to help mom)? That might actually be your hook: prayer is just a way to be calm and think through a problem until a solution comes to you. It doesn't have to be in any gods name.

Last thought: I get it, you don't believe. Will she really be harmed if she chooses to believe (assuming, of course, she chooses to be a good strong critical thinker who thinks for herself but just chooses to get solace through religion)?

A thought to plant, perchance a seed to grow: would you suffer in that persons hell, or would you flourish for their hell being your heaven?

@Donotbelieve I have always been at best Agnostic, until I answered some of my own questions on life and came down on the Atheist side. My son was only exposed to religion when he was with his grandparents (mostly grandmothers) and occasionally his mom, though she was never really committed to it. But he became interested enough in it to get baptised, but never really went all in until he met his wife who was much more into religion then him. They had a cheating issue after their second son was born (interestingly enough, he met the gal at a church function he was attending) that threatened to tear the family apart. The only way she would take him back was a total commitment of the church and hours of counseling. They got back together and seem to be doing very well almost six years in. So who am I to rain on what works for them. They don't push their religion on me in person and I don't mock their beliefs in person. On Facebook, I am quite open about my feelings toward religion, they are open about theirs. But when we are together, there is peace. And it's much better since we don't start every meal with my grandsons waving their hands in the air yelling "Thank you Jesus, thank you Jesus!" That was apparently just a phase. LOL! Anyway, to sum it up, your daughter will find her own way and as her mother you will hopefully always love each other, regardless of bumps along the road.

?? Who is taking your children to church?
Just laugh and say Christianity is all nonsense, but that her positive thoughts for you (prayers) show a good heart.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:49926
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.